Favorite PC/MAC Audio/Media Player?
May 23, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #46 of 58
For Windows Vista PC,
Audio: foobar2000 with ASIO
Video: VideoLAN VLC and K-Lite Codec Pack/Windows Media Player.

May 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #47 of 58
I'm using Vista/WASAPI + Jriver Media Center 13.

ON-MY-SETUP, it shows superior sonic performance to that of any other player including Foobar. I'm only comparing players which support wasapi of course.

May 23, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #48 of 58
audio:
itunes on mac (just works
smily_headphones1.gif
)
foobar on pc (like the small footprint and GUI customisability)

video:
VLC on both, plays almost everything and no fancy stuff going on.

May 25, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #49 of 58
I'd like to be in full control of my music, so Foobar 2000 is my choice. I want to choose what info it shows. Replaygain support is a must for me. And it has good support for most formats.

For video i don't really care, as long as it works and it isn't bloatware. So VLC is my choice. No need to install those messy codecs.

May 25, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by matanoosh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ON-MY-SETUP, it shows superior sonic performance to that of any other player including Foobar. I'm only comparing players which support wasapi of course.

How can that possibly be? wasapi bypasses software layer to talk directly to the hardware so they sound the same whether it be foobar or J.River.

May 26, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by brotherlen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foobar
VLC for video

still looking for a player in Linux,
Mac-iTunes/VLC

"Listen" under Gnome was quite good. Amarok 1.4.x under KDE has suited me for a long time, but they've changed it completely under KDE4. And it's the main reason I ditched KDE4...

~Phewl.

May 26, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #54 of 58
I have only Windows XP computer

My order of preference is (based on SQ)
1) JRiver media Center 13
2) iTunes
3) Media Monkey
4) Winamp
5) Foobar

I have tried ASIO with Foobar and JRiver. I somehow didn't like it. It seems kinda disturbing the balance of L-R sound but improves clarity of sound.

May 26, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by brotherlen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
still looking for a player in Linux,

my rec. is for 'mpd' as the back end. the idea of a front-end and back-end part is not really a 'windows thing' but its deeply rooted (heh) in the unix world.

you get mpd to work - get the sound card talking to mpd so you can play sound - that's the only hard part (and its not usually hard). you do that ONCE.

then pick any player you want, that talks to mpd (there's a list of front-ends you can pick from). then install the FE and enjoy it. or edit one or create a new one - but you leave 'mpd' alone since its only job is to convert disk files to sound in the air
wink.gif

that separation of form and function is SO good - you have to try it! then explore all the front-ends and pick the one you like best.

I'm a minimalist and I picked the ascii version (runs in a term window under 'ncurses' which is just ascii GUI). it has support for limited color and highlighting (bold) and that works well enough for me. others like the proper GUIs that work with gnome or kde (neither of which I run).

give it a try, for anything unix (linux included)
wink.gif

May 28, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #57 of 58
I just installed iTunes for the first time yesterday because i wanted to buy an album from them. Seems pretty good but I will keep my library in foobar only. I like that you can set EQ for individual songs in iTunes and not one overall setting. But I don't see a custom EQ option though, just presets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back