Favorite PC/MAC Audio/Media Player?
Mar 23, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #31 of 58
I compared Winamp Vs Foobar Vs Media Monkey for a while.
To my ears, Winamp sounds warmer than other two, with a very little bit more bass added. Foobar sounds dark when compared to other two. MediaMonkey reveals more details, little thin when compared to other two. I chose MediaMonkey because it sounds better with my HD 650.

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #32 of 58
I use iTunes. I've tried a couple of alternatives, but I keep coming back to it. You just can't go wrong with iTunes on a Mac!

Mar 24, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #34 of 58
Windows:
Audio: XXHighEnd
Video: VLC/Media Player Classic
iPod: Rockbox

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #35 of 58
Windows, Winamp.
Linux, Amarok or MPD.

For videos:
Windows: bsplayer/vlc/mpc
Linux: mplayer/vlc/xine player

May 22, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #36 of 58
I am a huge foobar2000 fan.

But recently I tried this command line player called "Minimalist wasapi memory player" and it smokes any other player in terms of sound quality including foobar in wasapi mode.

Ofcourse, since it has no GUI so foobar still remains my defualt audio player but I am having hard time resisting this player.

May 22, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murugesh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I compared Winamp Vs Foobar Vs Media Monkey for a while.
To my ears, Winamp sounds warmer than other two, with a very little bit more bass added. Foobar sounds dark when compared to other two. MediaMonkey reveals more details, little thin when compared to other two. I chose MediaMonkey because it sounds better with my HD 650.

If you used asio or wasapi and bit perfect output they should all sound exactly the same.

May 22, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #39 of 58
I like Jriver 13 - My collection is too large to mess with foobar really - drives me nuts even though it works great.

Itunes fails.

I use a beta CCCP kit for video - mkv 1080p or bd in a theater

May 22, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #40 of 58
On my Mac I prefer iTunes. Well, I really don't have much of a choice :p

On Windows, if it's Vista or earlier I like MediaMonkey best. On Windows 7 I actually like Windows Media Player.

Banshee is about as good as it gets in Linux. The new version of Amarok is absolutely awful, the 1.x versions are far superior.

May 23, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #41 of 58
Amarok 1.4.9 - even better than sliced bread.

Amarok 2.x - take your pick of flour, water and salt. Any of them would be a better audio player, IMO. I dare say the guys at Amarok will get things singing along nicely soon, but having dabbled with a couple of builds, I find it unintuitive, lacking in features, and a good backwards-step. ~Phewl is unimpressed. Though it has to be said that he sees no appeal in kde4 either.

~Phewl.

May 23, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by darklegion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Linux:
MPD with ncmpc++ as the client.Also use the mpc client mapped to keyboard shortcuts.

mpd on linux as the backend.

ncmpc as the front end if on a pc. else, I use my own DIY designed lcd box and an IR remote to control it:

3482473182_cc99cec186.jpg

(I'll be posting a DIY howto on this once the development is complete.)

it uses an arduino and my code and talks over ethernet to the mpd back end.

I have a bigger display version as well:

3489593537_e589032684.jpg

wink.gif

mpd rocks!!! nothing better in terms of arch or design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back