Favorite "One Hit Wonder"
Mar 25, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #121 of 154
I was gonna mention flat beat by mr oizo but that has been already mentioned.

Gotta love that sausage smoking yellow fellow
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #122 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
honestly, Soft Cell's short career yielded one essential album, but it's a great album, and not just for the hits (or in the US, that one hit). "Frustration," "Sex Dwarf" and "Seedy Films" are sooo good.

I'd contest that: I listen to The Art of Falling Apart and This Last Night in Sodom more than I ever have Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret. This Last Night ... features two of the best songs that they ever performed: "Surrender to a Stranger" and "L'Esqualita".

Marc's second "solo" album (Torment and Toreros by Marc and the Mambas) is, of course, an acknowledged classic, and needs to be checked out by anyone interested in chamber torch. I've seen him a couple of times live (including once with the reformed Soft Cell) and I think that he's one of the best live performers around.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #129 of 154
My favorite one hit wonder would have to be the iconic song "That thing you do" by the Oneders...I mean Wonders.

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #130 of 154
Some more odd choices there.

Although "School's Out" is Alice Cooper's most famous song, he's had a number of hits during a long career. The Verve had "The Drugs Don't Work", which I would remember as an (even) bigger hit than "Bittersweet Symphony", and The Communards' biggest hit (in the UK, at least) was "Don't Leave Me This Way".

More important than the fact that these acts had more than one hit, though, is the fact that they are all recognised for their albums, which were bestsellers. The Vapours' "Turning Japanese" or Steeler's Wheel's "Stuck in the Middle With You" are better examples because I don't think that anyone would remember these bands at all but for those particular songs.

Another one like that is "There She Goes" by The Las.

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #131 of 154
OK fine, Blind Melon - No Rain. And until zombie Shannon Hoon gets a record deal we can be safe assuming no more hits from them.

Mar 27, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #134 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins.

How can someone release something so great and everything else so crap?

oh common another day in paradise is pretty good too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back