Favorite "One Hit Wonder"
Mar 24, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #109 of 154
Rock&Roll Ninja;2799392 said:
Louis Armstrong - Wonderful World (I dare you to find any guy on the street that can name one other song he's sung).

Armstrong aside, nobody has mentioned.....

QUOTE]

wow, you are right.. just asked my roomate. it seems strange when EVERYONE knows louis, but not his work.

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #110 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stranger on the Shore-Mr. Acker Bilk

Wow! Haven't thought of this one in years. I took a look on Amazon, They have a "Best Of" cd for $4.68 used. Gotta' get it.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #115 of 154
From the perspective of a British Head-Fier, some of these suggestions have beenn bizarre, because Soft Cell, The Human League and The Boomtown Rats were all groups who had big careers, with hits from several successive albums. They were/are all big favourites with me personally as well, so there's no question of any of them just getting lucky with one track.

Some good suggestions so far, though. Peter Schilling's "Major Tom" is certainly one that I remember, having bought his album: "Error in the System" was the hit that never was from that one, but otherwise there's nothing there to challenge his status as a one-hit-wonder.

Sam Brown is a fabulous singer, but "Stop!" is her only hit that I know of. Similarly, I don't recall any big singles by the great Judie Tzuke other than "Stay With Me 'Till Dawn". I suppose I'd have to mention those two as the least fair one-hit-wonders.

Mar 25, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #117 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alphaville - Big In Japan. But the song makes about as much sense as watching the last 3 minutes of an episode of 'The Venture Bros.'

Alphaville had a bigger hit than "Big in Japan" with "Forever Young." so much so that both the slow original version, and the dancey remix single version were radio hits, and were used in every prom and graduation song back in the day. i think the latest pop culture reference with "Forever Young" was in the movie Napoleon Dynamite.

Quote:

From the perspective of a British Head-Fier, some of these suggestions have beenn bizarre, because Soft Cell, The Human League and The Boomtown Rats were all groups who had big careers, with hits from several successive albums. They were/are all big favourites with me personally as well, so there's no question of any of them just getting lucky with one track.

thank you about The Human League, and to a lesser extent, Soft Cell. Soft Cell was definitely a one hit wonder here in the US (shame), but The Human League was definitely not. they scored two #1 hits here ("Don't You Want Me," and "Human") when they could only manage one #1 hit in the UK.

Mar 25, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #118 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soft Cell was definitely a one hit wonder here in the US (shame), but The Human League was definitely not. they scored two #1 hits here ("Don't You Want Me," and "Human") when they could only manage one #1 hit in the UK.

Maybe only one number 1, but there were other big UK hits from The Human League, such as "I Love Your Love Action", "The Sound of the Crowd", "The Lebanon" and minor hit "Being Boiled".

Soft Cell (in addition to "Tainted Love") had middling hits with "Torch", "Say Hello Wave Goodbye", "Down in the Subway", "Bedsitter" and maybe two or three others. Marc Almond also managed a number 1 singing with Gene Pitney on "Something's Got A Hold on my Heart".

There are also some notable two hit wonders. I'd nominate Jona Lewie (with "You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties" and "Stop The Cavalry") and Sailor (with "Girls! Girls! Girls!" and "A Little Glass of Champagne").

Thinking further on one-hit-wonders, how about "Save Your Love" by Renee and Renato, or "Shut Uppa Your Face" by Joe Dolce? (I'll get my hat.)

Mar 25, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #119 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe only one number 1, but there were other big UK hits from The Human League, such as "I Love Your Love Action", "The Sound of the Crowd", "The Lebanon" and minor hit "Being Boiled".

Soft Cell (in addition to "Tainted Love") had middling hits with "Torch", "Say Hello Wave Goodbye", "Down in the Subway", "Bedsitter" and maybe two or three others. Marc Almond also managed a number 1 singing with Gene Pitney on "Something's Got A Hold on my Heart".

don't forget "Mirror Man" and "Keep Feeling Fascination" both stuck at #2 in the UK charts, and "Tell Me When" which hit #6. also, there's the Phip Oakey/Giorgio Moroder hit "Together in Electric Dreams." i love The Human League, they're recording a new album supposedly.

honestly, Soft Cell's short career yielded one essential album, but it's a great album, and not just for the hits (or in the US, that one hit). "Frustration," "Sex Dwarf" and "Seedy Films" are sooo good.

Mar 25, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #120 of 154
"Turning Japanese" - the Vapors
"Stuck in the Middle With You" - Stealers Wheel
"Spirit in the Sky" - Norma Greenbaum
"Because the Night" - Patti Smith Group
"Sukiyaki" - Kyu Sakamoto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back