Favorite "One Hit Wonder"
Oct 5, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #46 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
Human League, "Don't You Want Me"

Technically The Human League isn't a one-hit wonder.
tongue.gif

They had a few songs in the top 10 in the 80's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #47 of 154
"Here's to the Night" by Eve 6

New age, but for some reason, I really like this song.
The best songs are those that mean something to you, and this is one I'll always associate with a special someone..

Oct 5, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #50 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
Whenever there is talk about one hit wonders, I start to think about Babylon Zoo - Spaceman. Has anyone heard any other songs from them? Like, ever?

Oh yes, a Levi's advert! There were a few from the same era, all used n Levi's ads: "Inside" by Stiltskin was another, anyone remember the others?

Oct 6, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #52 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
Whenever there is talk about one hit wonders, I start to think about Babylon Zoo - Spaceman. Has anyone heard any other songs from them? Like, ever?

Actually, I bought that album. Like, new.

Oct 6, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #54 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by photographlondon
"Flat Beat" by Mr Oizo

Love that song - and the filmclip!

My vote: Word Up by Cameo.

Oct 6, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #55 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by photographlondon
Oh yes, a Levi's advert! There were a few from the same era, all used n Levi's ads: "Inside" by Stiltskin was another, anyone remember the others?

the one i remember has nothing to do with one-hit wonders, though...
the clash: should i stay or should i go (and if i remember correctly, that was the first levi's rock song)

by the way, isn't the stiltskin singer swimming in peter gabriel's and phil collins' footsteps now?
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #56 of 154
A number of my favs were already mentioned here -

"Safety Dance" Men without hats - although they did score another hit with "Pop goes the world." It's actually funny story.. not too many people outside native Canadians even knew who Men without hats were, but this one German guy staying at my friend's friend's house actually knew who they were.
biggrin.gif
And we proceeded to discuss the merit of the amazing music video... Now that I think about it, I should've discussed about David Hasselhoff as well while we were at it but I digress...

"How bizzare" OMC - I actually lived in New Zealand when they were popular there and the song became famous after I came to Canada. It was kinda funny to see them on the Regis morning show.
OMC - "Yeaah, NZ has only 3.5 million people." Regis and K.L. - (looks surprised) "whoa, really?"
I liked the song, it had that nice down-to-earth kinda chill'd atmosphere. Too bad they couldn't reproduce it.

Oct 8, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #57 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Baby's Got Back - Six Mix Alot. What can I say, the man's a genius.

Yeah but Mix-A-Lot wasn't really a One Hit Wonder, he had several other hits. Of course I may be a bit influenced since I lived in Seattle during the bulk of his career.

I'd have to agree with Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners. Several of the 80's cover bands in the Seattle area performed that one and it was always a lot of fun to dance to.

Paperboy - Ditty
DRS - Gangsta Lean
LEN - Steal My Sunshine (though I'm rather embarrised to admit this)
Silverchair - Anthem for the Year 2000
Afro Man - Because I Got High (what can I say this song was just ***king hillarious)
Blind Melon - No Rain
Dynamite Hack - Boyz-N-The-Hood
House of Pain - Jump Around

Oct 8, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #58 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
LEN - Steal My Sunshine (though I'm rather embarrised to admit this)

Didn't Silverchair release a number of successful albums? (well in Australia and NZ anyway)

Man... I always wondered how Steal My Sunshine got so big...it just sounded so, err, I don't even know how to describe it.
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 1:40 PM Post #60 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994

Wow never realised that made it to the Us, must say it was a good song although by no means their best. Silverchair are huge over here and have had 3 or 4 number one albums that keep winning ARIA's. Just as some info on the side the lead singer is quite publically fighting athritus (sp?) and from memory is married to Natalie Imbruglia (you get any of her stuff over i nthe US?)

Theres your pointless Australian music trivia for today
tongue.gif

PS: I'd have to second the new radicals: Get what you give... great up lifing song

cheers
-jake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back