Favorite Musical Discovery of the Past Year
Nov 27, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #92 of 192
I may have to change my previous statement. I discovered Porcupine Tree this year and they are just plain awesome, but then a loud little group entered my world.

That group was Opeth.

I've tried bits and pieces of their stuff several months ago but nothing really clicked. Not too long ago, I spotted a copy of Ghost Reveries for cheap and a grabbed it thinking it's no big loss if I didn't like it. Boy was I in for a surprise.

I'm still not a huge fan of the screaming/growling vocals, but every other aspect of the group is just plain killer! The sound is so thick and heavy it's hard not to lose yourself in it. I can definitely see how some people don't like them, but if you like groups along the lines of ISIS and Neurosis, you should really give these guys a shot. I'm not sure if Ghost Reveries is the best starting point, but it worked for me.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #95 of 192
Grand Avenue. Awesome band. I like the debut album best. The latest one second. Sort of like coldplay meets the counting crows sound. The latest album has influences of killers and snow patrol or the chameleons which I feel the killers have followed

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:30 AM Post #97 of 192
... Not only has this album been my greatest discovery of the year, but I can say, without doubt, this album has been the greatest discovery of my lifetime thusfar ... Although the music recorded herewithin is 2 years my senior, I'd discovered this album at the best possible time in my life: a time full of mental restructure and peaceful reflection ... This album has been the catalyst to my first-ever feelings of 'Zen' ... This album is without a doubt: the greatest captured sound I have ever heard ... I have listened to lots of Jazz, but I doubt anything will ever eclipse the stellar musicianship, emotional engage, improvisational genius, and resilience-to heavily, heavily, repeated listenings without tire ...

... This, my pals, is one of the few albums [I can count on one hand] that I have a relationship with; I am getting to know this music more and more as time goes on ... If I sound insane, please understand that I am at least sincere ... All of the year's mishaps have been rectified by this one discovery ... All is well ... This is my Holy Grail of Recorded Sound:

s30174.jpg

... If there is one album you must hear before you die, please hear this one ...

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #99 of 192
Katie Melua
Pat Metheny
Kate Havnevik
Christel Alsos

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #101 of 192
My favorite discovery this year was Alt. Country. I never really thought about trying it, but now that I have I like a lot of it. Mostly Ryan Adams and Whiskeytown but some other stuff too. Oh yeah, and The Jayhawks.

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #102 of 192
Sasha Dobson - "Follow Through"

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #103 of 192
Old Blind Dogs - a great Scottish Celtic band

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #104 of 192
God Is An Astronaut
Cogs
CocoRosie
Bajofondo Tango Club
Guillermo Klein
Saul Williams
Tristeza
Battles

There are more, but the above are the ones that I find myself going back to again and again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back