Favorite Musical Discovery of the Past Year
Nov 8, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #61 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHunt79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LCD Soundsystem

good artist (James Murphy), which album made you start listening, sounds of silver or the eponymous debut?

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #65 of 192
It's hard to talk about reggae on a board that is as full of audiophiles such as this.( recording equipment is generally not as good in 3rd world countries) but a few reggae artist that I have discovered over the last year.

Mr Perfect (Or Perfect) awesome guy that has a talent for writing great hooks. Best single "All I Got"

MoVado- Gangster for Life!

Gentelman- Reggae from a German that rocks!

Collie Buddz - How can you not like a white reggae artsist that was born in New Orleans and grew up in Bermuda.

Albrosie- another white guy from Germany that has a talent for reggae hooks. Love the single Herbalist !

Natural Black- His single Nice it Nice has me singing all day!

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #68 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. Unless something comes from way out of left field and completely blows me away, then Friend and Foe is easily my album of the year.

Despite that though, I would give my greatest discovery award to Porcupine Tree. I haven't felt this good about a group since Tool.

smily_headphones1.gif

First off, I only discovered this site last week (via AVS) and send a big WOW to all the music fans here. I thought I had diversified tastes until I visited here.

I'll be checking out Menomena now.
I picked up Porcupine Tree newest album yesterday and have to agree with your observation about Tool. I only discovered Tool last year and am now a big fan.
Coheed and Cambria is also on my list for this thread but I need to listen to some older stuff.
Pantera and Slipknot are 2 bands that I always thought were too heavy for me until I bought a couple albums. I like the majority of the songs.
Clutch was another instant like for me.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #69 of 192
Julie London
Most underrated Jazz vocalist ever.
(not to mention that the recording quality on most of her albums is great)

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #71 of 192
Hands down Gustav Mahler for me.
I discovered his music in June and my life has literally changed since.
It all began with a first movement of Mahler's 9th on youtube and since then I have spend around $350 on multiple Mahler recordings including a complete cycyle set.

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #72 of 192
Jen Wang... because she helps me right music.

Nov 9, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #74 of 192
These are all going to be bands I discovered and bought music from in 2007 AND their latest albums were released in 2007.
basshead.gif

Menomena
Caribou
The Book of Knots
The Aliens
Shearwater
Celebration
The Clientele
Three More Shallows
Oliver Future
Cloud Cult
Aqueduct