Favorite Musical Discovery of the Past Year
Nov 3, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #16 of 192
For me it's been Dream Theater and Porcupine tree this year. All thanks to the folks on this site. You guys keep getting me to buy new stuff!

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #17 of 192
Let's see... For me it's got to be these three:
1) Mike Oldfield
2) Tool
3) OSI

I'd say it's been quite a good year.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #21 of 192
The Shocking Pinks self-titled album is my most recent acquisition, and it's a great mix of shoegaze, dreamy pop, and a dash of dance punk.

And the new solo album by Broken Social Scene leader Kevin Drew "Spirit If..." is a lot better than I thought it would be. I think I might like it more than either of the two BSS albums. It's exactly the same kind of music, but more consistent and maybe even more melodic. I appreciate diversity, but there's a few songs on each BSS album that I've deleted from all my playlists

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #23 of 192
I'll have to second Katie Meula
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

And also have to mention finally getting down to learning to play guitar, so that I can sit around and create all kinds of sounds not neccessarily of the musical kind
blink.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #24 of 192
Judee Sill ! No doubt the big find of the year for me, though when I play her for friends, I realize she's a bit of a guilty pleasure...say, an acquired taste.

Joy Division...esp. Closer which I picked up on vinyl. Haven't listened to them since high school and didn't probably fully appreciate. Why was this not in rotation for the last couple years?!

Ol' Dirty person - realized this should always be in my truck for those late night moments when barriers of good taste and all sense of right-ness need to be forgotten for a couple loud minutes.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #26 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If we are the same I better get a copy of battles and see what I am missing.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Well, I'm going to come right out and admit it... I've been confusing The National and Battles all year long (came out within a week of one another, covers are similar I guess, previously undiscovered for me, and both with one-word names and titles).

Only now have I finally managed to place my blunder in the textual annals of this fine forum.

Please pick up Mirrored and then love it to death so that I may be redeemed!
biggrin.gif
redface.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #27 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom (have had El Oso for the longest time though)

One of my favorite albums of all time and Bus to Beezlebub is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #28 of 192
The White Stripes

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #30 of 192
Amy Winehouse, without question—backlash be damned. I'd kinda like to say Battles also, but I've only warmed up to the first two tracks on Mirrored. Oh yeah, and Fruko y Sus Tesos, the maverick band of Colombian salsa. The vinyl version of the compilation Colombia! The Golden Age of Discos Fuentes: The Powerhouse of Colombian Music, 1960–76 is one of the things I've been playing on my recently acquired Pro-Ject Debut III turntable; those Joy Division pressings, too, but I've dug that music for decades already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back