Favorite Mozart
Jan 30, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #46 of 52
Having owned Schnabel recordings I know their great value. I have been playing with the idea of replacing those lost recordings.

Thanks for the reference to the Szigeti Bartok.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #47 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leporello
Piano Cti in general, 17 & 18 in particular.
Don Giovanni (of course
wink.gif
) & Figaro
Mass in c minor
Symphony 38

Regards,

L. - notte e giorno faticar

String Quintets K. 515, 516, 593, 614
String Quartets dedicated to Haydn K. 387, 421, 428, 458, 464, 465
Wind Serenades K. 375 and K. 388
Piano Quartets K. 478 and K. 493
Piano Quintet (w/winds) K. 452

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #48 of 52
A few I return to more often than others:
Piano and Wind Quintet K452
Divertimento for String Trio K563
Wind Serenade K361
Piano Concertos 17, 24 and 27 (hard to choose as there are so many masterpieces here. Were the piano concertos Mozart at his sustained best in a series of works - the dull 26 excepted?)
Clarinet Concerto
Clarinet Quintet
Prague and Jupiter Symphonies
Don Giovanni

How do you pick a few from music of this quality!

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #49 of 52
Right now I'm listening to some of my favorite Mozart, Grumiaux's recording of the violin concertos.
smily_headphones1.gif

The NY Times today (1-31-2006) has an interesting article about Einstein and his relationship with the music of his favorite composer, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Here is a link and an excerpt:

Einstein once said that while Beethoven created his music, Mozart's "was so pure that it seemed to have been ever-present in the universe, waiting to be discovered by the master." Einstein believed much the same of physics, that beyond observations and theory lay the music of the spheres — which, he wrote, revealed a "pre-established harmony" exhibiting stunning symmetries. The laws of nature, such as those of relativity theory, were waiting to be plucked out of the cosmos by someone with a sympathetic ear.

Happy reading for all Mozart lovers!
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #51 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda
Einstein enjoyed classical music and the arts. He also played the violin, which is something you learn by listening to Einstein on the Beach by Glass. http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1518623

Actually Einstein loved Mozart, who was his favorite composer. He started playing Mozart's violin sonatas when very young and continued to play Mozart almost until his death. This was common knowledge years and years before Glass ever conceived of Einstein on the Beach. For some reason he always felt an affinity for Mozart's music more than for any other composer's works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back