Favorite Mozart
Jan 27, 2006 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

vcoheda

High-End Forum Volunteer
In honor of Mozart's 250th birthday, list some of your favorite CDs of that composer. Here are some of mine, a great compilation, famous piano concertos, and my favorite Mozart opera.

B000000XBT.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00005N56Y.01._AA180_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000001GXI.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Jan 27, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 52
The Philips Complete Mozart Edition (which I proudly own)

biggrin.gif

Nah, seriously there's way too much for me to list. Couldn't even begin.

Jan 27, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 52
I don't have much Mozart. I'm listening to the Clarinet and Bassoon Concertos on the Naxos label.

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks
The Philips Complete Mozart Edition (which I proudly own)

biggrin.gif

Nah, seriously there's way too much for me to list. Couldn't even begin.

I may purchase that one day though. I have always thought that if you owned the complete works of Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven, it would be enough music to last you a life time.

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda
I may purchase that one day though. I have always thought that if you owned the complete works of Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven, it would be enough music to last you a life time.

It's definitely worth it. They couldn't have picked a better (overrall) interpreter than Neville Marriner. Even though it isn't "the best" in most respects it is incredibly strong in every single area.

I've been thinking of buying the complete works of Bach for a while but have gone back and forth on the Bach 2000 or the Hanssler Bach Edition. I've thought about getting the Hanssler and then maybe someday getting the Cantatas from the Bach 2000 - that's a lot of friggin' money though!
biggrin.gif

The good thing about Beethoven at least is his music is easily categorized and works accessable. I think I have most of the Beethoven I need. But Bach and Mozart put out so much damned music and so much GOOD music that is hard to hear if you don't have a butt load of collections.

Jan 27, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 52
the three Da Ponte operas are my first pick, and I would argue they are Opera's gold standard. Idomeneo, Magic Flute and Serail are not far behind. I also love the Horn concertos, the late (20+) piano concertos, the string quintets, many piano sonatas (hard to pick one K311? 533/494?) and last but not least the Variations on "Twinkle, twinkle, little star"
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 52
The Divertimento for String Trio in E flat major K. 563 is one of my favorite Mozart pieces.

For a budget choice, the recording with Yo-Yo Ma, Kim Kaskashian and Gidon Kremer can't be beat. For a little more money you can get Arthur Grumiaux's recording in either the Phillips Complete Mozart series or their Trio Cds which puts with the complete String Quintets. You can't go wrong with any of these.

coverart.asp
coverart.asp
coverart.asp

Jan 27, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 52
I've been looking into this set listed at jpc.de. Complete works of Mozart on the Brilliant Classics label. It also has a CD-ROM with the complete librettos for all operas. It is definitely the right price too, 170CDs for a little over $100.

5926590.jpg

Has anyone purchased this? Looks interesting.

Jan 27, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
the three Da Ponte operas are my first pick, and I would argue they are Opera's gold standard.

These are my first selection too. And first of all Don Giovanni.
And add to this the K515 and K516 quintets and the Sinfonia Concertante.

Which I like less of Mozart are his Symphonies.

Jan 27, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

I've been looking into this set listed at jpc.de. Complete works of Mozart on the Brilliant Classics label. It also has a CD-ROM with the complete librettos for all operas. It is definitely the right price too, 170CDs for a little over $100.

5926590.jpg

I believe that Brilliant Classics has released the symphonies in SACD/hybrid format as well and you might want to consider that rather than this set which is just stereo. I believe the symphonies are by Ton Koopman but I haven't heard them nor seen any reviews.

Jan 27, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbalcer
Of all Mozart's works I like Requiem the most. And I have several recordings of this piece.
smily_headphones1.gif

Perhaps this work is the less 'his' of his works.
It was completed by his copyist Franz Xaver Süsmayr at the request of Constanze (Mozart's widow).
That said, I love this Requiem
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
I believe that Brilliant Classics has released the symphonies in SACD/hybrid format as well and you might want to consider that rather than this set which is just stereo. I believe the symphonies are by Ton Koopman but I haven't heard them nor seen any reviews.

I didn' know that. Checked at Brilliant Classics site and saw that this is the same box that I bought some months ago but SACD. BTW Jaap Ter Linden is the conductor.
biggrin.gif

Koopman in Brilliant has some Bach's organ works.

Jan 27, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

5926590.jpg

Can you post a link to the jpc offer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back