Favorite Led Zeppelin song? [NO STAIRWAY!!! ;)]
Oct 5, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #16 of 50
Achilles Last Stand
Baby I'm gonna leave you
Since I've been loving you
D'yer Mak'er

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #17 of 50
I know that the original post did not want "Stairway To Heaven" to be on the list of favorite Zeppelin songs. I could understand this because it is such a ubiquitous song. It is at the top of every poll for favorite rock songs of all time. Please hear me out however. Earlier in the poll I voted for "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You." It truly is astounding to me musically, however, I find the lyrics are not nearly as interesting as those from "Stairway To Heaven." The lyrics from "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" could have been a song by Elvis or even Bette Midler for that matter. The fact that Led Zeppelin made it a masterpiece is the point. However, why I find "Stairway To Heaven" so persuasive is because it not only is convincing musically but the lyrics are complete poetry to me. Emily Dickinson or Sylvia Plath would have been proud to write them. They speak powerfully without illustrating a simplistic idea. I have heard before that, "truth in poetry exists in the empty space between words." I believe that to be the case here too. These lyrics are subtle, sophisticated, and yes, a rare occurrence in my opinion, in the history of rock music.

There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows
If the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for

There's a sign on the wall
But she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings
In a tree by the brook
There's a songbird who sings
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven
It makes me wonder

There's a feeling I get
When I look to the west
and my spirit is crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen
Rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking
And it makes me wonder

And it's whispered that soon
If we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason
And a new day will dawn
For those who stand long
And the forest will echo with laughter

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow
Don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May queen
Yes there are two paths you can go by
But in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on
And it makes me wonder

Your head is humming and it won't go
In case you don't know
The piper's calling you to join him
Dear lady can you hear the wind blow
And did you know
Your stairway lies on the whisperin' wind

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our souls
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #18 of 50
Since I've Been Loving You.

The local classic rock station only plays it when requested or part of their annual top 100. Maybe even on their Saturday 1 hour Lunch with Led. I don't understand it, but I would probably hate it if they played it as much as they play Rock and Roll or Black Dog.

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #20 of 50
Don't know all LZ songs etc. (haven't heard The Rain Song for example) but I like Thank You quite a bit. The Chris Cornell version is pretty good as well.

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #22 of 50
I have not heard the entire discography, but I love:
Kashmir (Because its a beautiful place)
Achilles Last Stand
No Quarter

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #23 of 50
That's The Way...so much emotion, and a beautiful guitar tuning as well.

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that the original post did not want "Stairway To Heaven" to be on the list of favorite Zepplin songs. I could understand this because it is such a ubiquitous song. It is at the top of every poll for favorite rock songs of all time. Please hear me out however. Earlier in the poll I voted for, "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You." It truly is astounding to me musically, however, I find the lyrics are not nearly as interesting as those from "Stairway To Heaven." The lyrics from "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" could have been a song by Elvis or even Bette Midler for that matter. The fact the Led Zepplin made it a masterpiece is the point. However, why I find "Stairway To Heaven" so persuasive is because it not only is convincing musically but the lyrics are complete poetry to me. Emily Dickinson or Sylvia Plath would have been proud to write them. They speak powerfully without illustrating a simplistic idea. I have heard before that, "truth in poetry exists in the empty space between words." I believe that to be the case here too. These lyrics are subtle, sophisticated, and yes, a rare occurrence in my opinion, in the history of rock music.

The "No Stairway!!!" command was also because it's the ultimate no-no in any guitar store (same as Free Bird). But yea, Stairway is one of the most powerful songs ever written, and tops every classic rock radio station poll for good reason. It never gets old for me.

And... it's even better live (I think I've shed a tear listening... Hell, I'm shedding a tear thinking about the live performances)!

Oct 6, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #30 of 50
David... I'd never chew you out. (YOU ****!)
biggrin.gif

Let me expand my list, now that I have seen a good sample of responses. I'll target why I enjoy these songs, and you will agree!

Since I've Been Loving You:
Ummm... the intro! Amazing first five notes, and then the rhythm section comes in solidly. Then some organ (mellotron?) from JPJ. Then some distortion. Then some muttering from Plant.

You get some arpeggios, which ring out and create some mystery.

And then the solo, which is just an explosion of built up rage that only Page can express articulately and incisively. It's like the guitar is the band's subconscious mind coming forth.

The whole song is one big eargasm for me. I say this is a perfect song.

No Quarter:
Another one of those genius, landmark moments in music. It caps off an album that has already thrown numerous curves at the listener. It starts with the mellotron, which creepily vibrates, yet soothes simultaneously. And then you get that riff, which is great, too.

Back to the intro theme, but with vocals. The effect on the vocals sounds like a flanger... I think. It's all just creepy to me. Like the message is trying fight through fog.

Finally, the solo section is one of my favorites. First, you get the piano, which cuts through the fog, and then the guitar (brilliant, of course).

It's just a greatly unique song.

---------------

I could go on all day, but I won't (because... it's night time here). I'll keep adding to this list. In fact, when I was in high school, I challenged myself to think of one Zep song that wasn't unique, or was "bad" in some way. Perhaps I'll document my least favorite Zep song at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back