Favorite Led Zeppelin song? [NO STAIRWAY!!! ;)]
Oct 5, 2008 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

aaron313

Headphoneus Supremus
So, so many from which to choose.

But you have to have a favorite, and an explanation would be appreciated. If it's your favorite song of all time, say so.

My favorite:

"Black Dog," and it's my favorite song of all time.

Why? First, the main riff is genius, and is what inspired my to play guitar. It's triple-tracked, giving it thickness and some "hair" to match the diabolical sound of the bass track. And the song is more complex than it seems, with a freaky time signature, heard upon closer listens. Second, the call and response structure makes the unique instrumentation and vocals stand out even more. Third, the guitar solo is one of the best I've ever heard. From fairly quick runs to pained bending of strings, and back to some runs, it's classic Jimmy Page. But the solo is special because it plays off of the backing track like a car confidently navigating treacherous mountain curves. In other words, it's not just a show-off piece of wankery, but rather actual music. It's the sound of a band knocking you out in the first round (it's the first track, but you know that, right?).

The track also got my sister into Zep (still pretty much confined to this one song).

And it also made damn sure that our dog would be black.

Oct 5, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 50
Traveling Riverside Blues-this is THE definitive cover of one Robert Johnson's classic tracks. The recording on The BBC Sessions album is just outstanding. The band are so tight, as you would expect with the Zep's and they turn Johnson's slower paced original into a rip roaring blues rock anthem which can hold it's own against any of the Zep's best efforts.

failing that, Over The Hills And Far Away, Jimmy Page in full effect here- awesome.

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 50
In my Time of Dying...

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 50
When the Levee Breaks is my choice.

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 50
It's hard to pick one. If I can only pick one it would have to be "No Quarter." This song was their best live song in my opinion. "In My Time Of Dying," "When The Levee Breaks," "Traveling Riverside Blues," "What Is And What Should Never Be," "Gallows Pole," "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You," "How Many More Times," "Going To California," "Battle Of Evermore," "Nobody's Fault But Mine," "Achilles Last Stand" the list of Led Zeppelin songs that I love just goes on and on!

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 50
A couple of weeks ago I went through my Zep cd's and burnt all my Led Zepplin favs.

All of My Love, When The Levee Breaks, Whole Lotta Love, Ocean, Dancing Days Are Here Again, Bring It On Home, Black Dog, Rock N Roll, House Of The Holy, Kashmir .... I probably did 25-30 tracks on two cdrs.

If I had to pick just one it would probably be All Of My Love.

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 50
The "Immigrant Song" from Led Zeppelin III. Why? Because I am an immigrant from "the land of ice and snow" (Canada). I'm also a Vikings fan. My other favourite is "Kashmir." Maybe because I have a kasmir sweater.

Cheers!

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Since I've Been Loving You
Dazed and Confused
The Rain Song

But definitely Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Yes, that is my number one choice too; Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.
Oh, and Stai..........

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 50
When the Levee Breaks! When I heard IV the first time I observed how great this was. Its relaxing feel and nice play is the keywords here.

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Since I've Been Loving You
Dazed and Confused
The Rain Song

But definitely Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Great list! x2 + Kashmir

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 50
Ten years gone would have to be mine
biggrin.gif