Favorite Jazz album (50's/60's) and why?
Jun 26, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #121 of 264

Quote:
Quote:
Yes you can never go wrong with Miles. Sketches of Spain is another album that I really enjoy. 

image.tiff

Also, for me the contributions made by Bill Evans on the Kind of Blue sessions is what makes it so great.

image.tiff

Second that. Bill has a humble way about him that doesn't immediately grab you, but over time one can hear that he was just as key to KOB as Miles, imo. Bill is not credited on any of the tunes, but I wonder about what compositions he contributed to. You know how it works, Miles' band, Miles' session, ergo all credited as Miles' tunes...

Yes I totally agree and it's kind of unfortunate. He's definetly all over "Blue in Green" - which I think he composed.

Sunday at the Village Vanguard is one of my favorites from him - featuring an outstanding trio. Bill on the piano, Scott LaFaro on the bass, and Paul Motian on the drums - who is still jamming and pumping out great material, even to this day

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #122 of 264

Quote:
Yes I totally agree and it's kind of unfortunate. He's definetly all over "Blue in Green" - which I think he composed.

Sunday at the Village Vanguard is one of my favorites from him - featuring an outstanding trio. Bill on the piano, Scott LaFaro on the bass, and Paul Motian on the drums - who is still jamming and pumping out great material, even to this day

Evans recorded a version on his own Portrait in Jazz trio album, where he lists himself and Miles as composers.  And the Vanguard sessions are great.  I have found the complete set quite illuminating.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #123 of 264
Gosh I've got that album and never noticed, or forgot.  A look at the wiki says Portrait in Jazz was recorded eight months after Kind of Blue with Bill's new trio "that helped change the direction of modern jazz".

I've a couple of different live versions (>25 years apart mind you) of 'Nardis' featuring Ralph Towner, who alternately credits just Miles on one, and Miles and Bill on another.  I guess it's a fuzzy line in jazz between composing and just playing.

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #124 of 264

Quote:
Evans recorded a version on his own Portrait in Jazz trio album, where he lists himself and Miles as composers.  And the Vanguard sessions are great.  I have found the complete set quite illuminating.

Portrait In Jazz is my absolute favorite of those trio records. I've been fortunate enough to speak with Paul Motian on occasion (turns out I caught him last week in a band with saxist Mark Turner at the Village Vanguard), and he once let it drop that Portrait was his fave, too. He said they'd had a regular gig for months before they recorded, so I've always figured that he can still remember the feeling of excitement he had when their concept really clicked. That must've been an awesome feeling…

I noticed up above that there was a bit of confusion about Charlie Haden's Liberation Music Orchestra. Actually, the disc cited by tattoou2, their debut, is indeed from the '60s. It was released in 1969. Lately, Haden seems to return to that concept in presidential election years, so I'd be on the lookout for something new in 2012.

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #125 of 264

Quote:
I noticed up above that there was a bit of confusion about Charlie Haden's Liberation Music Orchestra. Actually, the disc cited by tattoou2, their debut, is indeed from the '60s. It was released in 1969. Lately, Haden seems to return to that concept in presidential election years, so I'd be on the lookout for something new in 2012.

Oops, my bad. Apologies to tattoou2. I should have checked the facts before blurting that out.  I had no idea that was such a long running project.  There I go showing my inexperience again 
redface.gif

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #127 of 264
Well we all make mistakes, I thought Chick Corea was a drummer earlier on in the thread...
redface.gif

Must say I'm really enjoying some Bill Evans at the mo because of the recent recommendation.  I do appreciate good pianists, and Bill plays so naturally with loads of soul, always unterstating rather than trying to impress or grab your attention.  A gifted musician, plays purely for Jazz and nothing else matters. And yes I would also put "Portrait" right up there with the best aswell. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #130 of 264

Quote:
ahem, well afaik no-one has posted these pics so I may as well,..

Bill Evans is a piano

and why not! well done that man.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #131 of 264

Quote:
and why not! well done that man.

Yeah, this whole Evans exchange got me thinking that Portrait In Jazz belonged in the "Flawless Albums" thread, so I posted it there a coupla days ago.

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #132 of 264
Brilliant Corners, although I can't say why and I don't really get jazz so my pick probably doesn't matter anyway.
redface.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #133 of 264

I actually hate Jazz. These were from the time {94} when I was into it. Just a time in my life when I had very little money and just hanging out, I seemed to discover these old scratchy Jazz records which seemed to have a cool vibe. Little did I know at the time that they were classics. In Southern California if something is classic then there seems to be a lot of old records of it floating around. The heavy wear on this discs seemed to add to the mood they created for me. Later I found mixtures of Jazz that I liked. Funny, when you think of it, Getz/Gilberto is a Jazz mixture too. And maybe the Coltraine is a mixture of Jazz and Blues. Ha, so even then I didn't like straight Jazz.

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #134 of 264

Quote:
Brilliant Corners, although I can't say why and I don't really get jazz so my pick probably doesn't matter anyway.
redface.gif

That is one brilliant and original album, the thing wiith Monk for me, is that he isn't your typical Jazz musician, in that he doesn't really sound like anyone else. He never delveloped his style over time it was already there when he started... I think he is one of the few Jazz artists that can appeal to you whether you like Jazz or not... I think??

Jul 3, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #135 of 264

Quote:
That is one brilliant and original album, the thing wiith Monk for me, is that he isn't your typical Jazz musician, in that he doesn't really sound like anyone else. He never delveloped his style over time it was already there when he started... I think he is one of the few Jazz artists that can appeal to you whether you like Jazz or not... I think??

…and peep that evocative cover art…

I dunno, though…my man High Priest copped out of saying what it is about Brilliant Corners that personally and viscerally grabs him (and I, for one, am really curious), but the truth is that as distinctive and recognizable as Monk's sound is, I know from experience it's turned off a considerable number of folks, too. I actually think Kind Of Blue's appeal might reach further beyond the jazz community.

Quote:
I actually hate Jazz. These were from the time {94} when I was into it. Just a time in my life when I had very little money and just hanging out, I seemed to discover these old scratchy Jazz records which seemed to have a cool vibe. Little did I know at the time that they were classics. In Southern California if something is classic then there seems to be a lot of old records of it floating around. The heavy wear on this discs seemed to add to the mood they created for me. Later I found mixtures of Jazz that I liked. Funny, when you think of it, Getz/Gilberto is a Jazz mixture too. And maybe the Coltraine is a mixture of Jazz and Blues. Ha, so even then I didn't like straight Jazz.

I have absolutely no idea what this means. Why anyone would wanna wear "hating jazz" (or pretty much any other genre of music) as a badge is beyond me, but the fact that Coltrane is on the radar suggests the assessment isn't as accurate as its maker might wanna believe it is. And for the record, every single type of pop-based music made in the 20th century represents some type of hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back