Favorite Jazz album (50's/60's) and why?
Jun 21, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #106 of 264

Quote:
Where my jazzbos at? How about some Booker Ervin? A soulful Texas tenor at home in the big city, he was another of the boppish saxists who'd been on the scene before Ornette Coleman and then took advantage of the expanded possibilities offered by jazz abstraction. He also died too young in 1970 (he was only 39), from kidney disease not hard living. In the last decade of his life he worked a lot with pianist Randy Weston, whom I keep promising to get to…and will eventually. The Freedom Book is the first part of a trilogy that included two other equally worthy discs, The Blues Book and The Space Book.

I have a Sam Rivers Bluenote retro release  that I think he is on.  Nice.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #107 of 264
…shows how much I know…just found out from a friend that Booker Ervin actually put out four "Books", not three…the last one is called The Song Book, for those keeping score…yet more music I need to hear…

and btw, falis, I'm also curious about this thing with Sam Rivers…can't remember hearing that one, either…
duggehsmile.png

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #109 of 264

Quote:
My mistake.  It was Walter Booker on Involution I was thinking of.

- Ed

Ahhh, the dancing bassist…great player…died a few years ago. He's also on that Pete LaRoca/Chick Corea album I recommended earlier.

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #110 of 264
…don't like playing favorites with Miles Davis's catalog, but not too long ago I realized that on most days Filles de Kilimanjaro is the Miles record I reach for most often. I think it's about the stretching…it's obvious that Miles' ambitions were taking him beyond the acoustic realm, but rarely does process, transitioning, searching sound so smooth…it's kinda like the perfect final snapshot of the band together, with both Herbie Hancock and Ron Carter playing "plugged in" versions of their instruments…clearly, it was time to move on…

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #111 of 264
"at The Bohemian Caverns" by Ramsey Lewis is an album that I really enjoy. It's a visceral feel good live album with a very real and live audience clapping and hollering- and being a real LIVE audience. It's a reminder to me that Jazz is a music to be enjoyed. It's not all chin stroking and 'out there'. Sometimes it's a party with some drinks, your tie loosened a bit, and maybe a pretty girl catching your eye over there. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #112 of 264
…I luvvv hearing Dizzy Gillespie's quintet clown, cut-up and get funky with it on the live date Swing Low, Sweet Cadillac…apparently, so did the audience at the Memory Lane in L.A.…

…but then, Dizzy's a pick-me-up even when he's takin' care of serious biz. The band on Something Old, Something New, recorded a few years earlier, just plain wrecks sh-t…somehow they make a studio session sound like a club date (pianist Kenny Barron was 19 going on terrific). The medley that flows "I Can't Get Started" into Thelonious Monk's "'Round Midnight" is among the definitive versions of the tune…

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #113 of 264

Quote:
…don't like playing favorites with Miles Davis's catalog, but not too long ago I realized that on most days Filles de Kilimanjaro is the Miles record I reach for most often. I think it's about the stretching…it's obvious that Miles' ambitions were taking him beyond the acoustic realm, but rarely does process, transitioning, searching sound so smooth…it's kinda like the perfect final snapshot of the band together, with both Herbie Hancock and Ron Carter playing "plugged in" versions of their instruments…clearly, it was time to move on…

I luv that album, but... yes I know they had to move on.. but.. electric bass.. snif.  It's just not the same. However admittedly it does work with what Miles was looking for, which you have already stated was the starting of on this album. Also "Waterbabies, which is good but not quite as good.

Not to start a flame war with Davis faves, but why not! My fave Davis albums are these two naughty little queens. Arguably the greatest quintet of all time at their peak. But its Tony Williams that steals the show for me, sooo inventive. I've always thought it was a shame that Miles didn't expand what they were doing here rather than being influenced by the likes of Hendrix on his recordings to come. It always sounded like a step back to me, but at the time I suppose it was all new.

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #114 of 264
There's nothing wrong to admit the Miles best  is Kind Of Blue. I've tried to fool myself many times by listening to his other works thinking that it's not but Kind Of Blue is just too much of a masterpiece.

Just like there's nothing wrong to admit that MJ is that best basketball player ever. It's that clear on both occasions.

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #115 of 264

Quote:
There's nothing wrong to admit the Miles best  is Kind Of Blue. I've tried to fool myself many times by listening to his other works thinking that it's not but Kind Of Blue is just too much of a masterpiece.

Just like there's nothing wrong to admit that MJ is that best basketball player ever. It's that clear on both occasions.

Not sure anyone's in denial about Kind Of Blue…the assumption is all yours? Until I have to seriously contemplate life on a deserted island, though, I'll probably be listening to some Miles (or jazz, for that matter) I can't hear just everywhere. There's certainly enough great music, which I think is what this thread is all about.
L3000.gif

Coltrane Plays The Blues, perhaps? I mean, Trane always played the blues, but here he makes it more or less plain.

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #116 of 264
Yes you can never go wrong with Miles. Sketches of Spain is another album that I really enjoy. 

image.tiff

Also, for me the contributions made by Bill Evans on the Kind of Blue sessions is what makes it so great.

image.tiff

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #118 of 264
Yes you can never go wrong with Miles. Sketches of Spain is another album that I really enjoy. 

image.tiff

Also, for me the contributions made by Bill Evans on the Kind of Blue sessions is what makes it so great.

image.tiff

Second that. Bill has a humble way about him that doesn't immediately grab you, but over time one can hear that he was just as key to KOB as Miles, imo. Bill is not credited on any of the tunes, but I wonder about what compositions he contributed to. You know how it works, Miles' band, Miles' session, ergo all credited as Miles' tunes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back