Favorite Jazz album (50's/60's) and why?
Jun 7, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #91 of 264

Quote:

Did you ever sample any of Rip, Rig and Panic from earlier in the thread? That's more freewheeling and avant- than Domino. Kirk's still kind of an anomaly; on Blacknuss, that '70s record where he does the R&B covers, there's a version of the Jackson 5's "Never Can Say Goodbye" where the break sounds like a blueprint for what Public Enemy turned into noise-beats…kray-zy

found it! gonna try and track it down now

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #92 of 264

Quote:
wow... this thread owns.
reading through, i can only think of one personal fave that hasn't been poured over already.

And that is Sonny Rollins' Way Out West.
Sure, Saxophone Colossus gets tons of mentions as an obvious favorite.  But, for me, a personal favorite is Way Out West.

Cheers! and welcome, I've never heard "Way out west" (I know thats shamefull) but thats whats good about this thread I feel. When I started collecting I bought most of the major titles by the major artists (I only owned Colossus by Sonny for a long time), and so I've let a lot of classics slip through the net.  I'll be checking this one out defo! 

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #93 of 264
Found this lp in a recycled record store years ago.  I was intrigued by the concept, never having heard of this guy before.  Best five bucks I ever spent.

I know this kind of thing aint exactly de rigueur around here, but the playing is sensitive, joyful and infectious and I can't get enough of it.

I can hear trublu laughing already 
redface.gif
 but hell, good music is good music, period

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #94 of 264

Quote:

redface.gif

…mua-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!! Now why this gotta be about me? Who am I to deny Jacques Loussier his zillon-dollar hustle? For the record, I dig Bach as well as jazz…though I think you should have skills like, among others, Phineas Newborn, Jr., Art Tatum, Erroll Garner, Oscar Peterson and Martial Solal to pull off that jazz/classical synthesis…that is, to make it sound like more than a gimmick…

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #96 of 264

Quote:
Found this lp in a recycled record store years ago.  I was intrigued by the concept, never having heard of this guy before.  Best five bucks I ever spent.

I know this kind of thing aint exactly de rigueur around here, but the playing is sensitive, joyful and infectious and I can't get enough of it.

redface.gif

Well I love Bach and Jazz so it's a thumbs up from me! As far as I'm aware he still tours, I'm sure he was doing a gig at the Sage (my local music venue) only a year or 2 ago. It's never going to be for purists but I personally don't think there is a right way to play Bach, his music doesn't need to be restricted to baroque time signatures.     

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #97 of 264
Thanks for this recommendation tru blu, absolutely lovin it! It's right up my street, one big free, but coherent jazz racket!!.  Nice bit of Dolphy in there aswell.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #98 of 264
This one does'nt need any introduction... 
wink_face.gif

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #100 of 264

Quote:
This is one of Quincy Jones's excellent jazz big band albums (I have them on the Mosaic boxed set) and I can't stop listening to it!

Ridiculously good band, and though I don't have the Mosaic set, I'll bet it tells the story about how the whole thing kinda fell apart when "Q" took the band to Paris. For someone like Jones, whose creative career has registered pretty much one "up" after another since this band's hard times (several musicians got stranded in Europe), it's kinda interesting to know that his luck wasn't always good even when the music was amazing. Of course, the cat's also survived two brain surgeries, so his life has felt kinda charmed on a lot of different levels.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #101 of 264
Hope this one isn't too obvious.. but I'm going through another Coltrane fling at the mo.  10 standards from his classic years on impulse and includes the utterly brilliant "Greensleeves" (probably the greatest version ever!) I've never been one for compilations, but in this case it is a perfect addition to any record collection.

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #102 of 264
My favorites are mostly mainstream
Miles Davis
Glen Miller
John Coltrane
Benny Goodman
Billie Holiday
Count Basie
I am sure some of these aren't within your time frame :p
I love it since its GREAT MUSIC!

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #103 of 264
Where my jazzbos at? How about some Booker Ervin? A soulful Texas tenor at home in the big city, he was another of the boppish saxists who'd been on the scene before Ornette Coleman and then took advantage of the expanded possibilities offered by jazz abstraction. He also died too young in 1970 (he was only 39), from kidney disease not hard living. In the last decade of his life he worked a lot with pianist Randy Weston, whom I keep promising to get to…and will eventually. The Freedom Book is the first part of a trilogy that included two other equally worthy discs, The Blues Book and The Space Book.

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #104 of 264
I'm still here!
biggrin.gif

Nice. I'm gonna have to add another obvious fave here... though it can sometimes be overlooked. Mingus's Tijuana Moods.  An upbeat atmospheric Mexican palava with castanets n all! I read that it was his personal favorite and dates back to 57, though not released until 62 (great stereo recording). He was still on a high from a trip to Mexico when he recorded this and you can tell.. Makes you want to shake your ass Flamenco styley!

Great sleeve aswell   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back