Favorite HD650 cable?
Sep 17, 2008 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jamess71

500+ Head-Fier
Building a cable for my new HD650's. With the cost of the cardas senn connectors and the wire I dont' want to have to experiment and risk damaging them. It would be great if you could give some info on you're favorites/least favorites and a bit on the sound sig.

At this time I use them with a Millet Max driven by EMU 0404 usb/pc or Oppo 980 Thankks

James

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 11
I've tried many (almost all I think), spent likely over $1000 on Sennheiser cables and now I'm left with only 2 - Equinox balanced and RAL 3.5mm. In the end, I don't think that they are really worth the cost. Best bang/buck is Mogami 2534 or good quality SPC, which I actually really loved and will likely build another one of these as I just got a huge roll of the best SPC I've ever used, PM me if you want a length of it, very cheap.

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried many (almost all I think), spent likely over $1000 on Sennheiser cables and now I'm left with only 2 - Equinox balanced and RAL 3.5mm. In the end, I don't think that they are really worth the cost. Best bang/buck is Mogami 2534 or good quality SPC, which I actually really loved and will likely build another one of these as I just got a huge roll of the best SPC I've ever used, PM me if you want a length of it, very cheap.

Thanks I have some Mogami and Canare on hand. I'm just going to build one for now. Do you think I would be better off with the SPC over these? I also have a bunch of Nav's SPC but it's only 24G. What is it you have?

James

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #6 of 11
Mogami makes a better cable than Canare. There are millions of different mil-spec SPC out there by many companies. They all meet specs but some are better than others. The Thermax brand wire I picked up off eBay has been really great compared to all of the other SPC I have on hand. For headphones I use 24awg stranded or 26awg solid-core.

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Mogami makes a better cable than Canare. There are millions of different mil-spec SPC out there by many companies. They all meet specs but some are better than others. The Thermax brand wire I picked up off eBay has been really great compared to all of the other SPC I have on hand. For headphones I use 24awg stranded or 26awg solid-core.

Hi,
I'm looking to build two Senn 650 Cables for A >> B >> C comaprisons with the Factory cable being "C". I have the Cardas connectors. I want to do the Mogami for one. The other cable I would like to do 4 stranded litz Braided Pure Silver. I would like this one to be durable, flexable, but be kinda representative of a high end Pure Silver. John's website is down presently so I can't see what he offers. Who wold you recommend for the Silver?

Thanx!

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 11
Pure Silver? You mean solid?
That'll be damn fragile and very microphonic. The only time I think of using solid silver is when I make interconnects or short cable, never headphones cable.

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pure Silver? You mean solid?
That'll be damn fragile and very microphonic. The only time I think of using solid silver is when I make interconnects or short cable, never headphones cable.

Well, that's why I'm posting here to get advice.

Blue Moon Silver Dragon HP Cables are pure Silver

Darth Beyer offers pure Silver HP Cables

I'm sure there are others.

I'm thinkin' stranded pure Silver, but need a resource and some experience from someone who knows about this.

Nov 22, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

How flexible is the 26awg solid wire compared to the 24awg stranded?
I have some of navship's 24g spc wire which I think is pretty good for durability and flexibility, but I also want to try some pure solid copper as well.

Nov 22, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #11 of 11
Pure, stranded silver will be very expensive. The only hookup stranded silver wire I see selling online is the Cardas, can't remember who sells it. It costs about 23-24$/ft. Think about some silver-plated wire which is also very good but far cheaper.

The Mogami is still a very good choice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back