Favorite (full size) headphones to use in bed
Feb 3, 2011 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Proglover

Progressiveus Drummeus
Probably like many of you, I like to listen to music in my bed. I'm past the point where portable headphones will do for that kind of usage; i need full size quality when I want to listen full focussed in the dark, in my bed.

Not all full size headphones are ideal for this kind of usage. For example, I don't dare to use my D7000's, just too afraid something happens, scatches or whatever.

I find myself using the AKG K240's most often in bed; they're light, can be powered very goodf from my portable rig, and are not so expensive that I too afraid too relax in bed.

How are others experiencing this?

Which headphones do you prefer to use in bed?
Do you use portable rigs or have something else in the bedroom?

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
Not all full size headphones are ideal for this kind of usage. For example, I don't dare to use my D7000's, just too afraid something happens, scatches or whatever.

What exactly are you doing in the dark with your headphones?
eek.gif
I thought that the point of beds is that they're soft and stuff, so no scratches.

Kind of a difficult question because I sit in my bed all the time. I dislike desks so I use my laptop whilst lying on my bed and have my amp and headphones on my bedside table. In terms of late night in-the-dark listening, I love my HD 595s for that. Comfortable enough that you can almost fall asleep wearing them, and also a pretty soothing, laid back sound. The Alessandros are a bit too agressive and I've never understood people who go to sleep wearing IEMs.

There's no time quite like that magical moment around midnight for music. Everything's quiet, everything's warmed up and your body is slightly more sensitive to low-level noises. The already great becomes just amazing.

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 13
I lie flat in bad, I never sit. So my head is in a different postition and I have to adjust the headhpones a little bit to that.

Things like D7000's simply don't feel very appropriate for that, maybe they are too big, don't know exactly.

Very agreed about that midnight music feel

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 13
My favourite can for use in bed is the DT880 (250Ohm). The velour earpad is simply a joy when  you wanna relax on the bed. And the semi-open design allow some air to go through, rather important for your ears to breath while you snooze. 

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 13
Right now I am using my Sony MDR-7506, but it's not my favorite sound since I am spoiled by better cans.  I need to look for a good one for the bed side too.

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
My favourite can for use in bed is the DT880 (250Ohm). The velour earpad is simply a joy when  you wanna relax on the bed. And the semi-open design allow some air to go through, rather important for your ears to breath while you snooze. 

+1

The only thing I don't like about wearing mine is the lack of proper ergonomics for the task. The Beyers tend to get shoved upward by the pillow, and it's uncomfortable to lay on something that lets me prop my head up so the cups clear the pillow. This isn't beyerdynamic's fault, but rather a lucrative niche in bed items that has thus gone untapped: pillows with indentations for your full-sized headphones!

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 13
I usually like to tell the girl next to me to whisper sweet nothings into my ear as i doze off.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 13
I've had bad experiences wearing full size cans on bed. (i fell asleep listening music) 
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Right now I am using my Sony MDR-7506, but it's not my favorite sound since I am spoiled by better cans.  I need to look for a good one for the bed side too.

For a moment I thought I read "I need to look good for the bed too". My bad. 

Quote:
The only thing I don't like about wearing mine is the lack of proper ergonomics for the task. The Beyers tend to get shoved upward by the pillow, and it's uncomfortable to lay on something that lets me prop my head up so the cups clear the pillow. This isn't beyerdynamic's fault, but rather a lucrative niche in bed items that has thus gone untapped: pillows with indentations for your full-sized headphones!

This should solve your bedding issue.

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 13
I like listening on headphones AFTER "finish". :wink:

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:

What is this and what does it do?

This should solve your bedding issue.

It's a stone pillow. There is no way the Beyers would get shoved upward by this pillow. Just be careful not to turn your head though. :p

Quote:

I like to tell the girl next to you to alleviate my shoulder pain with a nice massage, and then make me a cup of licorice tea.

This + music listening with a nice headphone = heaven.

Quote:
I like listening on headphones AFTER "finish". :wink:

"Finish"? You like to get all hot and sweaty before listening on headphones? Ewwww....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back