favorite electronic album (all types)
Oct 19, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #61 of 159
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Lz, yes! But where the L is Dazzle Ships?!?!? Sure hope there's another batch coming, but even so, it should've been in the first batch (I thought 'Junk Culture' was a pretty big departure).

ya, me too! remastered reissues of Dazzle Ships (my fave) and Junk Culture would be great, especially because Dazzle Ships sounds really thin (dunno if it is mixed like that on purpose), and to have the 312mm version of "Genetic Engineering," "Extended Telegraph," and the full version of "66 and Fading" on one disc would be awesome! the Junk Culture era had a ton of remixes and live tracks (like "Julia's Song" and "Waiting for the Man" with a real brass section!), and a handful of b-sides that did not appear on "Navigation."

Crush" and The Pacific Age i wouldn't mind too much for not having a remastered version.

Quote:

I didn't know that. I didn't pick those up, as I had the originals. Worth it?Yeah, Hysteria was probably more in line with Dare, but those first two albums were just groundbreaking. I love tracks like "Black Hit of Space", "Crow and a Baby" and of course "Being Boiled".

hmmm... i dunno which issue you have of the first two albums, because the last time it was issued on CD, it has the same tracklisting as the reissues this year, it's just that these are remastered. anyway, they add a lot of bonus tracks ot top of the ORIGINAL vinyl releases.

Reporduction adds the original "Fast Product" versions of "Being Boiled" and "Circus of Death," all four "The Dignity of Labour" tracks, and two others.

Travelogue adds the excellent "Marianne," "Dancevision," and "Rock 'n' Roll/Nightclubbing" from the Holiday '80 EP (the re-recorded version of "Being Boiled" from the EP already appears on the album proper), both tracks from the "Boys and Girls" single (first songs without Marsh/Ware), and both tracks from "I Don't Depend on You" single when they recorded as The Men, which was the "testing" single when Virgin signed The League.

Dare! comes in a special 21st Anniversary Digipak booklet (at least the UK version did, i think the US version comes in a regular jewel case) with special photos and liner notes, and has 1982's Love and Dancing remix album tacked on. i hate the fact that "Don't You Want Me" and "Do or Die" remixes are sped up. iwould've put on all six tracks of the Fascination! EP instead, which to my knowledge was never released on CD.

Dusty, ever noticed Visage's "Fade to Grey" completely stole the chords off "Being Boiled?" a little bit of Human League trivia...

did you pick up the reissued UK version of "The Very Best of The Human League?" it has a bonus disc of excellent remixes.

also, earlier this year, OMD reissued The Singles in France, and adds a bonus disc of remixes as well, containing an excellent brand new remix of "Enola Gay," all the 1998 remixes including all the Moby versions of "Souvenir," the full version of Sash!'s "Enola Gay" without the cheesy doumentary dialogue, and the remixes of "Joan of Arc" and "Maid of Orleans" which was never released before. some of the remixes are not that good, but just FYI anyway...
cool.gif

Oct 19, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #62 of 159
Quote:

Originally posted by bong
Crush" and The Pacific Age i wouldn't mind too much for not having a remastered version.

Exactly. But for some reason I still lump 'Junk Culture' in with Crush. Listen to Crush again. If you're like me, you haven't heard it in a really long time. It's surprisingly good. Not as good, mind you, but still good.

Story -- a friend of mine went to see them in downtown DC (Bayou? old 9:30 club? I forget), and their floppy drives broke down, and they didn't have spares, so they couldn't play. That was the main impetus for going from the super-sampled sound of 'Junk Culture' to the raw, stripped down sound of Crush. Quote:

i dunno which issue you have of the first two albums...

I have the previous issue on CD, so I have all the bonus tracks, so I'm just curious if the remastering quality was worth the improvement. I certainly find the original CD's listenable enough. Quote:

...has 1982's Love and Dancing remix album tacked on.

! Quote:

i hate the fact that "Don't You Want Me" and "Do or Die" remixes are sped up. iwould've put on all six tracks of the Fascination! EP instead, which to my knowledge was never released on CD.

I thought Love and Dancing was tacked on to the Hysteria CD...something was, will go back and look (don't have it, myself, should...). Quote:

Dusty, ever noticed Visage's "Fade to Grey" completely stole the chords off "Being Boiled?" a little bit of Human League trivia...

Nope, missed that.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

did you pick up the reissued UK version of "The Very Best of The Human League?"

Nope, not yet. Quote:

it has a bonus disc of excellent remixes.

See my other response to you about the Suede's remix. Not sure...are they really good? Quote:

also, earlier this year, OMD reissued The Singles in France, and adds a bonus disc of remixes as well...

So this is different?

And then there was another remix album, which is OOP now...not finding it now (at home on dialup)...will post later...

Oct 20, 2003 at 3:00 AM Post #63 of 159
some good stuff in this thread, I'll prolly be adding a few more to my collection based on the above. My favs:

Delerium - Karma
The Orb - u.f.orb
Laika - Lost in Space (CD2)

Oct 21, 2003 at 2:42 PM Post #65 of 159
The new album by Orbital "Octane" is growing on me. I've never heard any of their other albums.

Oct 22, 2003 at 5:32 AM Post #67 of 159
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
The new album by Orbital "Octane" is growing on me. I've never heard any of their other albums.

In Sides is sublime. Or just get the single for "The Box". Easily their best track ever. (Although I haven't heard Octane yet, I don't think -- is this brand spanking new?)

Oct 22, 2003 at 9:04 AM Post #68 of 159
one more addition..

The Russian Futurists - Lets Get Ready To Crumble.

The title track of which is the most addictive upbeat totally happy song I have heard in a long long time *bops away*..

Oct 22, 2003 at 11:19 AM Post #69 of 159
dj tiesto - magik 6, live in amsterdam

by far the best live trance album i have ever listened to.
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 11:27 AM Post #70 of 159
Quote:

In Sides is sublime. Or just get the single for "The Box". Easily their best track ever. (Although I haven't heard Octane yet, I don't think -- is this brand spanking new?)

Yes it JUST came out.

Nov 20, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #72 of 159
My most recentl found CDs that I happen to enjoy greatly...

Underworld - 2nd Toughest of the Infants
Autechre - Amber
Amon Tobin - all of his albums

Nov 20, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #73 of 159
I have some of Autechre's albums, some interesting stuff. I have to be in the mood for it though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Nov 21, 2003 at 8:09 AM Post #74 of 159
1. Ulver - Perdition City
They used to play Black Metal. Now this album isn't just a great electronic album, it's one of the best albums I know - period.
No words can describe this talented creation. Scarry, intense, elaborate, emotional. I just can't say what it is.

2. Sasha - Airdrawndagger, AWESOME album.
Not a 'lets take a DJ set from the club and let people dance at home like idiots' but an album made to listen peacfully, best with headphones. A clascic in my oppinion.

3. Global Underdroung 007

4. Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By.
His 1st album. Sure, the music isn't too elaborated but it's done SO good.

Nov 21, 2003 at 1:41 PM Post #75 of 159
I really couldn't pick one, I appologize. I mostly only listen to electronic music, and not nessicarily one facet or genre. My three fave groups are really Autechre, Cocteau Twins and Swans so I suppose if I could only have one of any of these, it'd be an Autechre disc I can't decide on.

Autechre - Chiastic Slide/LP5/Draft 7.30
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works II
Boards of Canada - Maxima.BoC
Coil - Love's Secret Domain/Musick to Play in the Dark vol 1 and 2
Download - The Eyes of Stanley Pain/III
Halou - Sans Soucie/We Only Love You
Hypnoskull - Electronic Music Means War To Us
Laurie Anderson - Big Science
Mark Isham - The Hitcher (soundtrack)
Massive Attack - Protection/Mezzanine
Oribtal - Orbital 2
Robert Rich and Lustmord - Stalker
Shuttle358 - Frame/Optimal/Understanding Wildlife
Michael Stearns - Planetary Unfolding
Vangelis - Blade Runner/Albedo 0.39

This is glossing over stuff like Aube, Dead Voices on Air, :Zoviet*France:, Masonna, Merzbow, various Ant-Zen artists and such that I'm all partial to. I'm probably even going to regret the choice I made this morning tomorrow. Teehee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back