favorite electronic album (all types)
Oct 16, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #46 of 159
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
I really like the soundtrack to Fight Club, anything else around like that?

absolutely. dust brothers own.

edit: oops, just realized you were asking if there was anything else similar, not just commenting...

well, the dust bros produced the Beasties' Pauls Boutique, among other things.

as far as similar stuff, try plastikmans Artifakts and Consumed . a bit more dark and bass heavy...but if you like fight club, you'll probably like plastik. also try some of the Automator's stuff...the instrumental tracks on A Much Better Tommorrow sorta have the same feel.

Oct 16, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #47 of 159
Orbital - Snivilisation
Jega - Untitled(SKA006, first release)
All Aphex Twin
wink.gif

System 7 - Golden Section
Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust(probably my favorite album to listen to all the way through)

Oct 16, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #48 of 159
Pole CD1
DJ Shadow "Entroducing"
Boards of Canada "Music has the Right to Children"
Coil "Horse Rotor Vator"
Lustmord "The Place Where Dark Stars Hang"
Massive Attack and the Mad Prof. "No Protection"
Autechre "Tri Repetae++" (Sounds so nice on vinyl)
Aphex Twin "Selected Ambient works Vol. 2"
Oval "94 Diskont" (damn near perfect)
The First two Matmos CDs
Rapoon "The Fires on the Borderlands"
Zoviet France "Collusion"

Dance Music:
Jeno "Rising to the Top"
Fanny Pack "So Stylistic"
DJ Assault "Off the Chain for the Y2K"
Adult. "Resuscitation"

Oct 17, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #50 of 159
Harold Budd has a few new albums out:

La Bella Vista
Translucence/Drift Music (John Foxx & Harold Budd)

I haven't heard Bella Vista yet. Translucence/Drift Music is a double cd. Not all of his albums are great all the way through, but I thought this one was really good - and there's 2 cds worth. I'm going to order them both next week.

The Room is my favorite Harold Budd, definitely get it if you haven't heard it yet.

edit - oh yeah, if you're a big fan of Budd, check out Scenic - The Acid Gospel Experience. He contributes on one track, "Under A Wing". I checked out the cd just for the Budd contribution, but I lthought the whole thing was really good. It's mostly trippy, atmospheric rock and some ambient tracks.

Oct 17, 2003 at 12:39 PM Post #51 of 159
Quote:

Originally posted by noiseunit
absolutely. dust brothers own.

edit: oops, just realized you were asking if there was anything else similar, not just commenting...

well, the dust bros produced the Beasties' Pauls Boutique, among other things.

as far as similar stuff, try plastikmans Artifakts and Consumed . a bit more dark and bass heavy...but if you like fight club, you'll probably like plastik. also try some of the Automator's stuff...the instrumental tracks on A Much Better Tommorrow sorta have the same feel.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Oct 17, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #52 of 159
Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar
Does your copy of DEAD CITIES have weird distortions at the beginning of Track 2 ("Unrecorded")? I have the cd which has this completely copy protection thing that opens up when I play the cd on my computer. I play the cd on a normal cd player and it still has those weird distortions... kind of like digital popping sounds. Let me know if you have cd or vinyl.. I knew I should have got the vinyl... that copy protection stuff is for the birds. I hope it's not defective.. I layed out $20 for this import.

-jar

Aye it's meant to sound that way.. I thought the cd was skipping the first time I heard it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2003 at 4:12 PM Post #53 of 159
Quote:

Originally posted by scamper

Zoviet France "Collusion"

You don't hear them mentioned too much around here! I used to play them a lot back when I was a college DJ. I used them often to set moods by playing their tracks between more traditional "songs."

Ever heard Nocturnal Emissions' "Invocation of the Beast Gods" ??
From what I remember this album is made up from samples of animal noises. Fascinating music. I think it came out right around the same time as ZF's "Just an Illusion" (1990). "Just an Illusion" came packaged in this really pretty, but delicate wooden box.

-jar

Oct 17, 2003 at 4:49 PM Post #56 of 159
"Ever heard Nocturnal Emissions' "Invocation of the Beast Gods" ??
From what I remember this album is made up from samples of animal noises. Fascinating music. I think it came out right around the same time as ZF's "Just an Illusion" (1990). "Just an Illusion" came packaged in this really pretty, but delicate wooden box. '

Yeah, I have heard that cd. I have a copy of the NE cd that is made from baby vocalizations. It is oddly soothing.

Oct 18, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #57 of 159
Amon Tobin anyone?

Oct 18, 2003 at 10:25 PM Post #58 of 159
Quote:

Originally posted by Ohoen
Amon Tobin anyone?

aye.. have all 4 of his albums, (haven't got the earlier Cujo one yet).. all extremely good, very atmospheric stuff, and quite dark at times (Marine Machines on Supermodifed is amazing)

Oct 18, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #59 of 159
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
in the 80's realm, gotta agree with:

Human League, Dare, but they did lots of other good stuff -- check out the recently re-released Travelogue and Reproduction
Kraftwerk, entire catalog is good, but earlier stuff is Krautrock (I like, but not for everyone), stick with these: Autobahn, Man Machine, Trans Europe Express, Radioactivity and Computer World
O.M.D. -- first, untitled/self-titled album; Organisation, Architecture & Morality, Dazzle Ships and 'Junk Culture'

hey, another OMD fan! did you get the recent reissues of the first three albums? they are from the same re-release remastered series as the Human League's "Reproduction" and "Travelogue." they are chock full of rarities and b-sides, including the original Martin Hannet produced "Electricity" and "Almost," both much better than the album versions from the self-titled debut. Organisation includes the ultra-rare "live 1978" ep that has four excellent instrumentals, and a 1980 re-recorded "Electricity" with a very different keyboard sequence. "Architecture and Morality" includes a whole slew of excellent b-sides like the "Extended Souvenir," the 1981 re-recorded "Motion and Heart," and the original version of "The Romance of the Telescope," which is absolutely the best OMD song. just ask Andy McCluskey and Paul Humphreys themselves! the three reissues are even more useful if you didn't pick up the import only "Navigation - The OMD B-Sides." OMD were an amazing electro-experimental band before those American hit-singles like "So In Love" and the dreaded "If You Leae." any electro-clash or electronica fan should try any of the first five albums.

as for The Human League, there was a whole different life to the band before "Dare!" for any electro-clash or electronica fan, i wholeheartedly recommend the first two albums; they're full of electronic experimentalism and weird production. I wonder how the band would fare if the original quartet didn't break-up. both the post break-up Human League and Heaven 17 were decidedly more pop oriented than experimantal.

Oct 19, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #60 of 159
Quote:

Originally posted by bong
hey, another OMD fan! did you get the recent reissues of the first three albums?

Lz, yes! But where the L is Dazzle Ships?!?!? Sure hope there's another batch coming, but even so, it should've been in the first batch (I thought 'Junk Culture' was a pretty big departure). Quote:

they are from the same re-release remastered series as the Human League's "Reproduction" and "Travelogue."

I didn't know that. I didn't pick those up, as I had the originals. Worth it? Quote:

the three reissues are even more useful if you didn't pick up the import only "Navigation - The OMD B-Sides."

But I did, but these are important enough albums to me that I still picked them up. Quote:

as for The Human League, there was a whole different life to the band before "Dare!"

Yeah, Hysteria was probably more in line with Dare, but those first two albums were just groundbreaking. I love tracks like "Black Hit of Space", "Crow and a Baby" and of course "Being Boiled".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back