Favorite Classy Restaurants?
Apr 25, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #91 of 110
I love a good steak, but as a college student I can rarely afford anything special.

I have been to Bones in Atlanta. I have also been to a few of the other fancy chain steakhouses, but I prefer Bones.

There is a place near my house in Toledo, OH called Mancys. There are definately better places, but I find it to be excellent for the price. For a bit over $20 I can get a NY strip that is consistently good, a baked potato and a salad. Unfortunately quality and service has declined a bit in the past few years.

Apr 25, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #92 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
I have been to Bones in Atlanta. I have also been to a few of the other fancy chain steakhouses, but I prefer Bones.

bg4533 --

Have you been to Chops in Atlanta as well? I cannot determine whether you have or not.
If so, did you like Bones better than Chops? If so, why? What did you order at each one?

Do you mean that you prefer Bones over chain steakhouses, in general?
confused.gif

If so, what chain steakhouses have you been to and where are they located?

Both Bones and Chops are better than most steakhouses, but I am warmer to Chops.

BANGPRAWN

Apr 25, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #93 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
jjcha --

Please take a second and think about what you just said.
It is hard for breakfast NOT to be one of your top three.
Not unless you count brunch and midnight snacks...
wink.gif

BANGAPALOOZA

Heh, I meant that a bit tongue-in-cheek. Actually, my fav meals probably are breakfast, brunch and dinner. Not a huge lunch fan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
jjcha, have you been to Tartine for breakfast? It's on Guerrero St. in the Mission. Their morning buns are ... I have no words to describe them.

I haven't, but I've heard awesome things about them. As you can see on my list I've got a North Beach (lived there for a year) and Palo Alto (my family lives in Los Altos Hills) bias.

Best,

-J

Apr 25, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #95 of 110
Quote:

bg4533 --

Have you been to Chops in Atlanta as well? I cannot determine whether you have or not.
If so, did you like Bones better than Chops? If so, why? What did you order at each one?

Do you mean that you prefer Bones over chain steakhouses, in general?
confused.gif

Both Bones and Chops are better than most steakhouses, but I am warmer to Chops.

BANGPRAWN

I have not been to Chops in Atlanta. IIRC at Bones I had a NY Strip, a Bones salad and a few shared side dishes.

The only other nice places I have been in Atlanta are Dantes Down the Hatch and Fishbones Piranha Bar. Both were interesting. Places in Ohio are boring in comparison.

By chain steakhouses I was referring to Ruths Chris and Smith and Wollensky in Columbus. Nice places. They might be nicer in bigger cities too. I think I just have something against chains.

Apr 25, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #96 of 110
When I think of "classy restaurants", I think of snobby restaurants, which is not really my thing. Fancy dress, nosebleed prices, and food I probably wouldn't choose to eat, much less pay a hundred bucks for. No thanks. I'd rather eat at "good" or "interesting" restaurants than "classy" ones.

Around here, I like Clara's. Great little Italian restaurant, good place to take a date but also fine for a family jeans and t-shirt meal. Maggiano's Little Italy is good as well. My city's downtown area has a ton of decent or interesting restaurants, not sure you could ever hit them all.

I went to college in southern New Mexico and had some favorites there as well. Chope's is in La Mesa, a tiny town of maybe 100 which is actually on the other side of the Rio Grande but still in the US. This is basically somebody's house which has been converted into a restaurant. You sit in what was probably a living room at one time and can see a normal home kitchen with a larger industrial kitchen behind that. There is a nice painting of the owner's wife (I guess Chope died a couple years back) hanging on the wall and you sometimes see her in the kitchen cooking. Amazing New Mexican food, basically a home-cooked meal. Somehow everybody knows about this place even though it's really out of the way.

Si Senor is a chain of about 3 restaurants and is a little nicer and more commercial. It's where you take the folks when they come into town. It's an adobe style building with dozens of palms outside. Inside, the center of the dining area has a large water fountain and stage area where you'll almost always find a live mariachi band performing over the dinner hour. The burrito and enchilada platters are amazing with red or green chile. They also serve chips with a few sauces before the meal - a cold red chile salsa, a warm green chile sauce, a cold green chile and sour cream dip, and a spicy bean dip. There is a seperate bar area which is pretty small but has a gorgeous starry-sky at twilight mural on the ceiling, almost enough to fool you into thinking you're sitting outside.

Mesilla Valley Kitchen is a breakfast/brunch place open from about 5 or 6am till 2pm. The menu is painted large on the wall where you come in and is very diverse. They've got traditional breakfasts like bacon and eggs or pancakes as well as regional food like huevos rancheros and breakfast burritos. Aside from that, they've got several sandwiches (served with hand cut and fried potato chips!), burgers, salads, and a couple other New Mexican dishes. My favorite breakfast there was "spuds", a skillet with diced fried potatoes, bacon, sausage, chorizo, melted cheese, and red or green chile sauce. You could also order one or two eggs on top and it was served with a fresh tortilla. Good stuff! The place has kind of a relaxing homey feel with typical white and turquoise southwestern color scheme and some nice paintings of the local mountain range, chile ristras, and so on.

We didn't have a Starbuck's, so I'd sometimes go to Milagro Coffee. They had a huge number of coffee varieties and rotated them often so you'd go in and choose something like light/regular/dark/decaf/flavored, but what each of those was usually was different from visit to visit. They had espresso drinks of course, but I usually stuck to the plain coffees (dark please!). Comfy furniture and a lot of students hanging out or doing homework. Coffee "for here" was served in a mug or large cappuccino cup, which was nice. If I was up early, I liked to get mine to go and sit outside on a brick wall - it was a great spot to watch the sun come up over the mountains.

None of those places were really expensive or fancy, but they had class as far as I was concerned, or at least a certain charm you don't find at Chili's.

Apr 25, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #97 of 110
Quote:

bg4533 --Do you mean that you prefer Bones over chain steakhouses, in general?
confused.gif

BANGPRAWN

I've been to both and prefer Bones for the food and Chops for the scenery. I preferred McKendricks to both for the steak but Bones is pretty close.

Apr 25, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #100 of 110
Bangpod,

If you like Le Bernardin, then you should like Brasserie LaCoze (Lennox Square Mall) which is owned and operated by Maguy LaCoze (owner of Le Bernardin). Menu selections are, ofcourse, more brasserie type, but the fine hand of Eric Ripert is very visible in the kitchen. Also, Prime in the same mall is not a bad place to have a steak. Just beware, along with most of the restaurants nowadays, they tend to cook something rare with a cool center. When I was young anything with a cool center was called "blue."

Apr 25, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #101 of 110
I forgot that I also had dinner once at the Carnelian Room at the top of the Bank of America building in The City (when I celebrated my 20th year with Bank of America they hosted a dinner for all of us). The food was very good, but the view was spectacular. Hell, the food could have been mediocre but the view would have instantly elevated it up a few notches. Simply stunning.

58.jpg

Apr 25, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #103 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
This is kinda what I was trying to get at earlier...... good food flavour and/or experience isn't necessarily related to price
biggrin.gif

A wild strawberry eaten in the wilderness tastes a lot better than a mass produced strawberry eaten indoors.

Apr 27, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #104 of 110
Apr 27, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #105 of 110
where are all the dc people?

La Chaumiere (Georgetown) - charming, intimate though not in the same league as the next two.

Citronelle (Georgetown) - presentation is sooo much fun and the food's even better.

Inn at Little Washington (Little Washington, VA) - impeccable food, charming decor...getting there is a royal pain if you have to leave during dc rush hour, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back