Favorite Classy Restaurants?
Apr 24, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #61 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
You have the right to your opinion, but it was not asked for in this thread. If you do not like classy restaurant's that is fine, DON'T POST ANYTHING and give the poster some respect.

meat01 --

Thank you for understanding my point of view -- but, I think this applies more so to PinkFloyd.
frown.gif

Sduibek said that he misinterpreted my original post and I feel that this was indeed the case.
wink.gif

Now that we have cleared up this issue, this thread can continue on as originally described.
rolleyes.gif

May the moderators please intervene and address the members who have infringed on this thread?
Rules and regulations have been broken and members are obviously acting without any regards.

Thank you,
BANGPROD

Apr 24, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #62 of 110
Nobody from chicago huh?

Le Francais. In its first incarnation with Jean Baunchet as the head
chef. Even 20 years ago it was $300 a person without wine and
tip. Completely outrageous then. Nothing like it will probably ever
be seen again. (wheeling, illinois about 3 miles from my house)

I do remember that years past, an appetizer, and entre, and a
desert here added up to about 6000 calories. A tripple day supply.
They don't cook like that here anymore.

Carlos. Multiple versions of foie-gras to die for. And a price to match.
Currently my absolutely favorite french resteraunt. (Highland park,
illinois) Great service, huge wine list, wonderful location.

Mortons. Best prime moo around. prices also to match. (barrington,il)

Sal & Carvao and Fogo de chou Brazillian churrascaria.
Massive amounts of meat and garlic. A great time had by all.
(barrington and chicago, multiple locations of each)

Lots of really good sushi places within minutes of my house, from
holes in the wall to huge places.

Nobu in las vegas. I had a great time. Especially when you order
the unlimited chef's special.

Wanna go to masa real bad, next time in new york for sure.

Apr 24, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #64 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Your ideas in this post is not what I was getting from your earlier posts. I stand corrected.

confused.gif
Maybe if you asked further of my opinion, you could have at least said something constructive.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

FYI and FWIW, I have had expensive food. The only one I remember being worth it was Matsuhisa (sp?) .. .great Japanese cuisine. But typically, the portions are very very small. And it seems more "Art" than "yummy taste" if that makes sense. It aggrivates me, because I eat like a "man" if you catch my drift. Lots and lots of carbs, tons of meat, and lots of grease. This is the only thing that I find satiating. And IME most expensive restaurants do not serve things that fit this bill. Their small artsy portions don't feel like dinner, they feel like a snack. ANd then suddenly I owe them 75$
eek.gif
eek.gif

So, to finally get around to answering your OP, I nominate Matsuhisa (sp?).
smily_headphones1.gif

Sduibek, you don't appreciate fine food like some people don't appreciate fine audio. Your "eat like a man" can be compared to bass heads who want a house party with a bunch of 20somethings or younger. There's no shame in it, but leave the fine diners alone.

Apr 24, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #65 of 110
Don't be silly Sduibek is a bipolar teenager and has proven many experts wrong including several doctors and he has an ICQ of 160 and he knows everything and he gets along with 35 year olds and jesus how could you disagree with him?

Apr 24, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #66 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Don't be silly Sduibek is a bipolar teenager and has proven many experts wrong including several doctors and he has an ICQ of 160 and he knows everything and he gets along with 35 year olds and jesus how could you disagree with him?

Exactly. Although, I am 20 so i'm not a teenager.
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #67 of 110
My favorite restaurants are in Seattle.

Palisades - Great food overlooking downtown from across Elliot Bay

Rays Boat House - Great food not too expensive. Half price appetizers during happy hour.

Canlis - Great food in an old favorite

Around here as Kevin said there are some great steak places. I would add Pete Miller's to the ones he mentioned. I also enjoyed Le Titi de Paris on many occasions. A great wine list and great new French inspired dishes along with the classics. I took a wine tasting course there once that was superb. Food was served along with each wine.

Apr 24, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #68 of 110
Quote:

confused.gif
Maybe if you asked further of my opinion, you could have at least said something constructive.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

FYI and FWIW, I have had expensive food. The only one I remember being worth it was Matsuhisa (sp?) .. .great Japanese cuisine. But typically, the portions are very very small. And it seems more "Art" than "yummy taste" if that makes sense. It aggrivates me, because I eat like a "man" if you catch my drift. Lots and lots of carbs, tons of meat, and lots of grease. This is the only thing that I find satiating. And IME most expensive restaurants do not serve things that fit this bill. Their small artsy portions don't feel like dinner, they feel like a snack. ANd then suddenly I owe them 75$
eek.gif
eek.gif

So, to finally get around to answering your OP, I nominate Matsuhisa (sp?).
smily_headphones1.gif

Sduibek --

Well, since you presented such a one-sided opinion, I felt that you had no personal experience.
But, now that matters are cleared up, I am glad to hear that you have had expensive food!
biggrin.gif

I think that the small portions you speak of are coincidental -- I have never experienced such.
Same with the presentation versus taste -- if you try another place, maybe it will be different?
wink.gif

Japanese restaurants tend to keep the portions smaller -- they tend to sample rather than fill.
Lipids and carbohydrates are definitely a guilty pleasure, I can be seen indulging on them.
biggrin.gif

The search to find dishes that are up to par is what I find exciting about being a restauranteur.
I believe that I have found said dish in the Chicken Satay at Mr Chow -- you will enjoy it, methinks.
The Peanut Alfredo sauce is so rich, creamy, and heavy -- it is so thick that it can waterproof hands.
Maybe Matsuhisa is your calling to find a restaurant satisfying the criteria that you find lacking?

BANGPAROLE

Apr 24, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #69 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Sduibek, you don't appreciate fine food like some people don't appreciate fine audio. Your "eat like a man" can be compared to bass heads who want a house party with a bunch of 20somethings or younger.

Please elaborate, I don't understand why these are analogous. I love high-quality chocolate, and cannot stand low-end food. I refuse to eat most fast-food. I am not saying I go around just stuffing myself with every "guilty pleasure" food I can find. I am just saying that I eat things that are filling. For me, breakfast is what some people might eat in a whole day
tongue.gif
Metabolism and such. I don't think you understood exactly what I meant
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #70 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
I think that the small portions you speak of are coincidental -- I have never experienced such.

Hmmmm. Perhaps. What are some places that serve larger-sized portions?

As an example, I went to a Texan-cuisine place recently (can't remember name) that served this 20$ chicken dish. Not the most expensive food I know, I know. Anyways. I was like "Wow, this is some of the best-cooked chicken i've ever had!" .... but then it turned out, most of the mass on my plate was just bones and junk, so I got at max, probably 5 mouthfuls of meat out of it. What?!?

So... for 20 dollars... I had to work really hard digging/cutting out a tiny snack of chicken. Not worth the increase in succulence, IMO.

Apr 25, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #71 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
So no one in this thread has been to the French Laundry in Napa?

minya --

*raises hand*
biggrin.gif
Me! I have! Me! PICK MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I am a Thomas Keller fanatic, apparently... Per Se is his other French masterpiece!
biggrin.gif

I like The French Laundry more, but it is under renovations now until at least late Spring.
Per Se will suddenly drop off a bit because Chef Keller plans to return to Napa Valley then.

Chef Keller is the reason that Per Se debuted at the seventh best restaurant in the world.
But when I went to Per Se, he personally prepared my dinner -- I had the tasting menu.
It was nine courses with wine pairings -- for $325 per person, I want THOMAS KELLER!

The French Laundry is to Lamarck, as Per Se is to the Nightfox.
The latter may taste better, but the former is the famed original.
I truncated my response because I have too many opinions to list here.
Private message me if you are interested and we can discuss further.

BANGTRUFFLER

Apr 25, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #72 of 110
Bern's Steakhouse - Decorated in early whore house - Steak by the ounce.
Best Desserts and a gigantic wine cellar - They take you on a tour of the kitchen and wine cellar - Worth a visit if you are in the Tampa area.
Mortons - anywhere
McKendricks - Atlanta
Bones - Atlanta
Chops - Atlanta
By Word of Mouth - Fort Lauderdale - One of my favorite restaurants
Armadillo Cafe - Davie, FL - Now closed - Great Ostrich
Shula's Steakhouse - Fort Lauderdale

Apr 25, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #73 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
Sal & Carvao and Fogo de chou Brazillian churrascaria.
Massive amounts of meat and garlic. A great time had by all.
(barrington and chicago, multiple locations of each)

Nobu in las vegas. I had a great time. Especially when you order
the unlimited chef's special.

Wanna go to masa real bad, next time in new york for sure.

Kevin Gilmore --

Fogo De Chao -- an "Argentinian" steakhouse with a lot of spices.
Your impressions are in line with my aforementioned ones, man.
I agree that Nobu is great for the price you pay to eat omakase.
wink.gif

Omakase is the only way to go, as fish quality is highly variable.
Only the itamae knows what fish is worth ordering on a given day.
As I have said countless times, Masa is certainly an experience.
When you come to New York, I would be honored to join you.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Hmmmm. Perhaps. What are some places that serve larger-sized portions?

Even though it is not as classy as other restaurants, you may thoroughly enjoy Carmine's.
It has two locations -- the one which I dined at was in New York City's theater district.
All of the entrees are roughly $20 and are designed for two -- the portions are monstrous!

Their Penne a la Vodka is the best that I have had in a while -- it is uncommonly spicy.
I also recommend their Italian Alps bottled water, Caesar Salad, Friend Calamari, and Veal Parmigiana.
I have not had them, but their Antipasto, Chicken Marsala, and Lemon Chicken apparently are staples.
Their portions are the largest that I have ever seen, but all of it is great quality food for the price.
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, reservations are hard to get and waits are long -- but I have a connection there.
For dessert, if you must have it at Carmine's, I recommend the Chocolate Cannoli and Tiramisu, but...
My highest dessert recommendation is Ferrara's in Little Italy -- it serves the best cannoli in the city.
Ferrara's is made up of two floors and serves up a near perfect cappucino, in my humble opinion.

A dinner recommendation accompanied by a dessert one, how did I do?
biggrin.gif

BANGPOLE

Apr 25, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #75 of 110
I'm heading to NYC in August and it sounds like I'll have to try Masa. I usually try to go out for sushi at least once when I'm in NYC. Last time, it was Yama.

The problem is that we're bringing the baby. Hmmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back