Favorite Classical pieces to test hi-fi??
Feb 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

LugBug1

Headphoneus Supremus
I would love to hear what classical pieces people always use to test new headphones etc, Mine was always Karajans 1962 Beethoven cycle, until my equipment got better and I could hear how old the recording was!

My current faves are Elliott Carter's Symphonia (the only recording) and Birtwistle's Earth Dances (Boulez) both pieces are huge and dynamic especially Earth Dances, there is sooo much going on with all of the intricate percussion and when the huge timpani rumbles, great for testing bass.

L3000.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 20
I use the descent into Nibelheim from Karajan's Das Rhinegold. It has a full range of frequencies, the transients of hammers on anvils and some unique phase characteristics that make it perfect for testing speakers for a clear soundstage. I also use string quartets to check clarity and spacial placement.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 20

Quote:
I use the descent into Nibelheim from Karajan's Das Rhinegold. It has a full range of frequencies, the transients of hammers on anvils and some unique phase characteristics that make it perfect for testing speakers for a clear soundstage. I also use string quartets to check clarity and spacial placement.

I have that recording, good choice.  There is so much you could choose from the ring, the prelude from Die Walkure for e.g with the chugging strings for testing timing and color. I've been listening to the old Solti recording recently on flac from the last remastering and it is still a great hifi experience with all of the old studio effects etc. Remarkable considering the Reingold was recorded in 1956! it still sounds better than most Ring Recordings.      

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 20
I'm gona add, the good old "Rite of Spring" to the list, every possible dynamic is excersized in this piece! bump.
regular_smile .gif

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:

Have you listened to Esa-Pekka Salonen with the Los Angeles Phil on the Rite? Bass drum is sooo overwhelming.

thanks,

I have yes, Overwelming bass drums n all! Mr Salonen is a brilliant conductor (I had to refrain from calling him a "modern" Conductor!) . The "Rite" recording with the LA Phil, has been mixed with the percussion as it should be at the forefront. Although I must add.. the Bass drum is slighly emphasized and may not be perfect for testing hi-fi as a whole, but if you want to see what you're system is capable of  in the lower end.. perfect!

It's actually a pretty good performance for me, Ive loved this piece of music for years and have heard numerous recordings, but I have to say, my fave  is still Seiji Ozawa 1968 on rca "high performance" label, for pure control and dynamics, still my best!  cheers.  

Let's keep this thread alive! Cheers

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 20
Ooh, let's do keep it going.

Another Stravinsky piece that's awesome to test hi-fi is The Firebird, specifically the one conducted by the composer with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra. But when in a rush, the suite found on Fantasia 2000 does fine. The sound quality of the suite (Fantasia) is impeccable, and the dynamics on this one is wide (the immediate change in dynamics about 2 mins and half into the piece is frightening, going from the whispers of the woodwinds to the blast of the entire symphony). The brass section shines here at the change, the low brass highlighting the angry, fiery buildup to a powerful climax.

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 20
Nice one, I have'nt heard any of the Columbia Stravinky conducting series but I think I might have to check it out soon! I do have the 4 cd Simon Rattle box set and I have to say that Mr Rattle is'nt up to the task in comparison to other great conductors of Russian music. He's just too polite! the recordings are too polite also.

While I'm on the subject of Simon Rattle.. If anyone can get a copy of Peter Maxwell Davies 1st Symphony (discontinued now but cheap enough on Amazon) then you'll be rewarded with an amazing Hi-fi experience; Heavy and complex with big dynamics mixed with soulfull string arrangements. It's one of the great Symphonies from the late 20th Century and the recording is fab.  

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
Nice one, I have'nt heard any of the Columbia Stravinky conducting series but I think I might have to check it out soon! I do have the 4 cd Simon Rattle box set and I have to say that Mr Rattle is'nt up to the task in comparison to other great conductors of Russian music. He's just too polite! the recordings are too polite also.

While I'm on the subject of Simon Rattle.. If anyone can get a copy of Peter Maxwell Davies 1st Symphony (discontinued now but cheap enough on Amazon) then you'll be rewarded with an amazing Hi-fi experience; Heavy and complex with big dynamics mixed with soulfull string arrangements. It's one of the great Symphonies from the late 20th Century and the recording is fab.  

Wow, really? I was about to get the new Nutcracker that Rattle just did (just because of the pretty packaging alone, LOL). I have one of his Stravinsky CDs that has the Symphony of Psalms, but still hadn't listened to it yet.

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #10 of 20
I'm not a big fan of Rattle. For a current "jack of all trades" conductor, I prefer Abaddo.

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:

Wow, really? I was about to get the new Nutcracker that Rattle just did (just because of the pretty packaging alone, LOL). I have one of his Stravinsky CDs that has the Symphony of Psalms, but still hadn't listened to it yet.

I was too! but the reviews I've read sound about right, he admits that before he conducted it, he wasnt a big fan of Tchaikovsky... My fave is Richard Bonynge on Decca. Although I do have a soft spot for very fast paced Valery Gergiev set on phillips, now there is proper Russian conductor! 

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of Rattle. For a current "jack of all trades" conductor, I prefer Abaddo.

He certainly is a "Jack of all trades" he conducted some of the greatest 20th century masterpeices and helped to make them more popular (Berg's Wozzeck, and Luigi Nono's Como for e'g)
 and then produces one of the best ever Beethoven symphony cycles. His Mozart is very special too, His Magic Flute is magical! 

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #13 of 20
Lately, I've been using the Gorecki 3rd and Shostakovitch Preludes and Fugues (Melinkov). The Gorecki starts with that low, low bass which is a good test for sensitivity.

The Shostakovich, well, mainly just because I've been enjoying it a lot lately and how well piano dynamics are reproduced (decays, sustains) is a good measure of fidelity for a headphone, imo.

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
Lately, I've been using the Gorecki 3rd and Shostakovitch Preludes and Fugues (Melinkov). The Gorecki starts with that low, low bass which is a good test for sensitivity.

The Shostakovich, well, mainly just because I've been enjoying it a lot lately and how well piano dynamics are reproduced (decays, sustains) is a good measure of fidelity for a headphone, imo.

I'm adding a quote here for every post..! hope It's not annoying, I just love Classical music and its good to talk to like minded peeps.

Gorecki's 3rd is a good choice for testing detail and texture, it's so dense. Im looking forward to hearing Melinkov's preludes, I have Jarrett's and Scherbakov's. I'm a huge Bach fan and you can hear the influence and love for Bach in Shostakovich's writing. There's not many headphone's get the piano sound absolutely spot on, Of my hp's I would say my 650's offer the most natural presentation, although Grado's offer great timing and presence which is a nice alternative.  

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
I'm adding a quote here for every post..! hope It's not annoying, I just love Classical music and its good to talk to like minded peeps.

Gorecki's 3rd is a good choice for testing detail and texture, it's so dense. Im looking forward to hearing Melinkov's preludes, I have Jarrett's and Scherbakov's. I'm a huge Bach fan and you can hear the influence and love for Bach in Shostakovich's writing. There's not many headphone's get the piano sound absolutely spot on, Of my hp's I would say my 650's offer the most natural presentation, although Grado's offer great timing and presence which is a nice alternative.  

The first preludes I'd heard were the Jarrett recordings (I'm a big fan of his jazz/improv work.) I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the Melinkov, Intenser emotionally, I think.

They sounds amazingly good on my TF10s, but outstanding on some of the full-sized rigs I heard at the Bay Area meet.  I took this along as my test CD. The clarity on n3rdling's set up? I can't describe how wonderful it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back