Favorite canalphone of the moment
Dec 9, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #121 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razoramus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A BIG THANK YOU to DJGeorgeT and everyone who contributed in this thread. Before this I was ready to give up on in ear phones. :p

hehehe, enjoy
basshead.gif

Dec 9, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #122 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Word. ^

Now I just have to go and buy some Shure E2C foamies. So, the mod requires you to take off the grey tubing which is attached to the JVC's eh ? Is it possible to put them back on after this is done ?

Time for me to give away some E2C foamies. I have 3 new pairs (small) that I don't need, never worn. Reply in this thread in you want one.
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #123 of 414
I want one! I can pay shipping to Canada,
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #124 of 414
I was very close to buying a pair of Marshmellows or the EX90LP today, but I saw the awesome-looking Sennheiser MX 90 VC Style and got those instead. Not many people have these new Sennheiser earbuds and can say that straight out of the box, they're not bad at all. The comfort and fit is pretty good due to their propriety twist 'n fit system. The sound is on the bright/light side, though it's very balanced. The bass is not that punchy. Detail is pretty good. Soundstage is poor, but I've yet to hear an IEM/earbud with satisfactory soundstage. Instrument separation is very realistic and it gets the timbre right too. The build quality is very, very good. The carrying case is functional and it's obvious that they put a lot of effort in designing the whole package. Nearly forgot the really cool volume control that slides up and down!

They're not expensive, so I'd recommend to anyone who wants to try something new! Be warned though, they're good, but not incredible. Please don't go out and get a pair expecting wonders. The KSC75 still trounce them.

I got them purely as a temporary substitute before I get customs
biggrin.gif

p1030912medium2en8.jpg

Dec 9, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #126 of 414
Razoramus, I'd definitely be interested, however it depends on shipping costs to the UK.

Dec 9, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #127 of 414
Oh, forgot to say - man, with the stock tips, these things are comfy as hell
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #128 of 414
Bump with some pics...

Pictured with shure e2c small soft tips. I wish I had some mediums, these are a little too small for my ears. Although it makes them sit very far into my ears.

dscn8396hx8.jpg

dscn8397ed3.jpg

Here you can barely see them sticking out. very low profile.
dscn8398yu7.jpg

Snug fit
dscn8402gn5.jpg

very well thought out design IMHO.

Dec 10, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #130 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always thought Kramer had long hair and didn't shave.

Very clean cut there.

I crop it pretty short. I used to have long hair in college. But my "hair days" are over now that I'm going bald.

LOL... you can see my son's pee pee and poopie progress chart on the wall.
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #131 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EX90 (modded) Versus FX33:

Treble: EX90 treble is more articulate, airy, detailed and doesn't have the sizzle of the FX33. EDGE=EX90

Mids: FX33 mids are very "organic" versus the EX90 which is more analytical. EDGE=Slight edge to the FX33

Bass: FX33 bass is more bloated, with equal extension. Bass detail resolution is about the same. Some tracks sound better on the FX33 with the added bass. Other tracks sound better with the EX90. EDGE=EVEN

Soundstage: EX90 is more spaced out and ambient, by a noticeable amount. Especially the treble. EDGE = EX90

Isolation: FX33 isolates more, by a noticeable amount. Although neither isolates as well as a DT770, HD280 or IEM. EDGE=FX33

Comfort: EX90 is lighter on the ear canals. I dont feel the need to cram the EX90 WAY in. Where as the FX33, its a typical consumer-grade, foam-roll canal-phone the deeper you shove the better the seal/sound. HOWEVER... the FX33's saving grace is its symmetric "Y" cord. It thoroughly TROUNCES the "J" cord of the EX90. The FX33 is also a very low profile, it practically sits inside the ear, with nothing but the cord sticking out. I can lie ON the FX33 at night... a great sleep-can. These 2 things IMHO puts the FX33 on top. EDGE=FX33.

Style: No Contest!! EX90 Owns...Come on its brushed / machined aluminum. I just picked up a second FX33 at Frys, this time in black, and The black is a LOT better looking, its not so fisher Price / Jelly-bean looking. I'll give the blue ones to my wife. EDGE=EX90

Overall the FX33 is more "organic" than the EX90... A drum sounds like a resonating chamber of air within a wood cylinder. I can't put it into words. Its like the difference between an MS2 (analytical) and an HF1(organic), (although not that extreme). Where the EX90 would be the MS2 and the FX33 would be the HF1.... analytical versus organic. The FX33 is thicker and more weighty/massive sounding... Heavier if you will. Probably because of the bass bloat, and closed-in IEM sound/feel.

The biggest sonic difference is the sense of space the EX90 projects. Treble sounds and Crowd cheer are very out of head sounding. Remarkable for an earbud/canalphone. The FX33 is very closed in and cant come close to the EX in this regard.

Theyre both really good, but... at $20 the FX33 represents the better value. They both are equally enjoyable, and they do the same thing (put a smile on my face) in different ways.

excellent comparo between the FX33 and EX90; couldn't have done it better myself! picked up the marshmallows today at Future Shop (as mentioned earlier for $25CAD) in the Pink flavour no less.
tongue.gif

i welcome microphonics with open arms once again! but oh, i found a way around this. i dunno if anyone else has done it, but putting the cord over your ear a la Shure greatly reduces cord and footstep microphonics!! chewing noises remain but it's quite a big difference; of course your breathing still sounds like darth vader, but you'd have to breath real heavily for that to happen.
biggrin.gif
and yes!!! Y-Style cord!!! this is what the EX90 cord orientation should be! not the dinky J-Style. i barely have to re-adjust the FX33; w/ the EX90, i have to constantly adjust and re-insert the left side because of the shifting weight between the right and left.

i tried the JVC-Victor website to try and get xtra Marshmallow tips, but it's not located. anyone know where to get more mallow tips?? they do look like comply tips w/o the plastic tube inside.

in any case, i am really loving these buds. the KSC75-like deal for the discriminating canalphone user

enjoi, all. cheers!

Dec 10, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #132 of 414
Soooo...

I hate to be a spoilsport in this thread, but so far I'm not ready to give-up my EP-630 for the Marshmallows. I have been using my EP-630 with Comply standard tips (remove the tubes from the tips and then jam/work them onto the EP-630 drivers). Today I bought the JVC (black) from my local Fry's just to see how they sounded. With the standard JVC tips they don't fit near as well as my 630/Comply, and they don't seem near as comfortable. Probably because of the poor fit, they also don't have anywhere near the isolation. The bass isn't there and the highs are hissy. I'll keep trying them for a while to see if they settle down, and I may see if I can get the Comply tips to fit, but so far the EP-630/Comply are a better solution for me.

Dec 10, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #133 of 414
Damn, so I guess I'm too late to get a pair of those Shure tips hu ? Always late for the party I am !
frown.gif
Ah well, that'll teach me ta be tardy ...

So I did something kind of stupid, which in a way turned out to be something worth the stupidity in a way. I was having a hard time getting the grey tubing off from the JVC's, and decided to use a pair of tweezers... *Hears the cackles and pshing from fellow fiers'*

Well, I managed to puncture the VERY thin piece of paper which lay atop the hole of the actual earpiece, and that pretty much took care of that side. I gave it a listen to make sure that it wasn't the actual diaphragm, which of course it isn't, and found something interesting.

That boomy bass, was tamed to a very nice level, but that bottom end was certainly still there, which was nice. The only problem was that the highs were sibilant like a mofo, and that just wouldn't do. Crash cymbals, high-hats, snare drums and S's became all too shrill for me to handle, so I knew that I'd have to fix this.

In about 2 minutes, I had taken out the Saran Wrap, broken off a small piece, and double layered it over the busted out hole. I then put the grey tubing back on to secure it (glue will work too, but I wanted to hear what it would sound like at this point), and put the ear tip back on. Viola ! Good as, or better than before.

Before I did this though, I managed to get the other piece of paper from the other ear out, in one piece, just to test the sound w/both missing. Anyway, I put the paper back in the one, and now have Saran Wrap in the other. It sounds just fine actually, can't really tell the difference from before. I'll probably experiment with this pair, trying different types of material to cover the holes, and take the sleeves off all together, to put some Shure foamies on them etc.. So guess I'll buy another pair just to have as "safe haven".

Kramer, great pics...Love the pee pee progress chart !

Dec 10, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #134 of 414
LOL, still waiting for batteries to charge up so I can take some shots of all marshmallows, different tips and how I wear them.

Sorry to hear you punctured them. I should add that to the mod post "be careful not to puncture the filter"

Dec 10, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #135 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump with some pics...

Pictured with shure e2c small soft tips. I wish I had some mediums, these are a little too small for my ears. Although it makes them sit very far into my ears.

dscn8396hx8.jpg

dscn8397ed3.jpg

Here you can barely see them sticking out. very low profile.
dscn8398yu7.jpg

Snug fit
dscn8402gn5.jpg

very well thought out design IMHO.

Asians unite!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back