Favorite Bruckner Recordings
Oct 25, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #421 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Tyson
Is the Celibadiche/EMI 3-9 set possibly worth the $180 price tag, although I am sure it would not be first choice in any symphony I would like to see how far the envelope can be pushed with slow timings.........perhaps he can show me a mystical element that eludes other conductors?

The Bruckner collection grows, just ordered these:
Celibadiche/EMI 3-9
Barenboim/Warner Classics 1-9

These will soon join my current complete sets:
Tintner/Naxos
Skrowaczewski/Oehms
Karajan/DG
Solti/London
Jochum/DG
Jochum/EMI

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #422 of 554
DA, which Jochum cycle do you like better? I have the EMI set, and I have heard a few symphonies from the DG set. I like the EMI significantly better, and in fact, that set owns many of my favorite performances of individual symphonies overall. I absolutely love the sound of the Dresden Staatskapelle, and I like Jochum's urgent, driven energy. That's not to say I like my Bruckner rushed, but I do like it to have forward motion.

-Jay

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #423 of 554
Quote:

Celibadiche/EMI 3-9

These will soon join my current complete sets:
Tintner/Naxos
Skrowaczewski/Oehms
Karajan/DG
Solti/London
Jochum/DG
Jochum/EMI

To add to Jay's question, which set do you like best overall. I am so close to buying the Solti set (I love brass), but then keep coming back to Jochum or Barenboim. Can't wait for your Barenboim review.

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #424 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG
DA, which Jochum cycle do you like better? I have the EMI set, and I have heard a few symphonies from the DG set. I like the EMI significantly better, and in fact, that set owns many of my favorite performances of individual symphonies overall. I absolutely love the sound of the Dresden Staatskapelle, and I like Jochum's urgent, driven energy. That's not to say I like my Bruckner rushed, but I do like it to have forward motion.
-Jay

To answer both Jay & SC if I could have only one Jochum set I would give slight edge to later EMI set which also has slighly warmer more refined sound quality, not a blanket preference because some symphonies come off slightly better in older DG set

Also if I could own only one Bruckner set period it would be Jochum EMI.

Also get the mono 9th by Jochum with BRSO and mono Hamburg 8th, great performances available on various CD releases......there was a 2CD DG Originals release that had both.

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #425 of 554
I'm glad to find another who prefers the EMI set. I know a lot of people, most in fact, that have compared the two have come away preferring the DG set. I just can't get over the intensity of the EMI set and that gripping Dresden sound.

-Jay

Oct 25, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #426 of 554
I prefer the EMI set. The sound of DG recordings often disqualifies them outright for me. That said, the Jochum Bruckner is decent DG sound. But, the EMI just seems to sound better overall, and Bruckner is a sound-matters composer.

I think I paid $6 for both the 4th and 9th symphonies in a Seraphim set. I even waited a while to hear them, not expecting much. What a surprise! Someone mentioned Solti. As a Chicagoan, I hate to chase away local business
smily_headphones1.gif
, but, while brass matters, so does balance. More important, Solti seems to miss their deep spirituality. I don't think he's unlistenable, but I prefer other conductors for this music.

Oct 25, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #427 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Sinnott
Someone mentioned Solti. As a Chicagoan, I hate to chase away local business
smily_headphones1.gif
, but, while brass matters, so does balance. More important, Solti seems to miss their deep spirituality. I don't think he's unlistenable, but I prefer other conductors for this music.

When my Celibadiche/EMI 3-9 arrives I will have complete extremes of styles covered from the slow trance like mystical Celibadiche to the bombastic power and energy of Solti's Wagnerian style Bruckner
k1000smile.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #428 of 554
Quote:

Celibadiche/EMI 3-9

Celibadiche/EMI 3-9 arrived today, very nice looking set with heavy outer box and using 1 & 2CD full size jewel cases with cool BW photos of rock gardens, very zen like........this will take some time to fully absorb.

Also decided to try different approach to Wand and am collecting some of his middle period NDR recordings from late 1980s and early 1990s, from what I have read these may be more to my liking vs final BPO versions.........

Nov 2, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #429 of 554
Let me know what you think of the Celi. I just picked up Barenboim doing 2, 5, 9, and Harnoncourt doing 9. So far Harnoncourt is sounding pretty good (listening now). Barenboim is good-but-not-great, as he so often is.

Oh, and I agree that Jochum EMI is the better of his 2 sets.

Nov 2, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #430 of 554
I would like to hear Celibadiche. I have heard no one quite like him. I can imagine that Bruckner would suit his ... I think mysticism is a good word to describe him.

I know less about Jochum, but he seems very committed. But, I can always hear another Bruckner performance and Celibadiche intrigues me.

Nov 2, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #431 of 554
Quote:

Celibadiche/EMI 3-9 arrived today, very nice looking set with heavy outer box and using 1 & 2CD full size jewel cases with cool BW photos of rock gardens, very zen like........this will take some time to fully absorb.

Going in reverse order with Celi, listened to 9th couple times. These are live recordings from mid 1980s, but crowd is very quiet and applause has track numbers so you can program out if you desire.

This would never be first/only choice for me, but every serious Bruckner collector must have/hear the Celi EMI versions. It is like watching nature show of eagle flying for instance, then seeing slow motion replay.......you are mesmorized by the slow fluid motions and fine details are revealed usually hidden in real time, the feathers spreading and wing motion while flapping etc. Celi does same with Bruckner and slows everything down while giving you clearer view of inner music detail allowing you to hear things you may not have noticed before.

Welcome to Celis slow motion mesmorizing visions of EMI set.....the older DG Celi set is not the same style and is played normal speed. The EMI version effect is not the same as just playing his old DG versions at slower speed with a CD speed controller, it is slower and more clarified/detailed at the same time. I read comment elsewhere that decribe the effect as a X-Ray of Bruckners soul.

Will report more as I make my way through set........perhaps Tyson can chime in with his observations for Celi EMI.

Nov 6, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #432 of 554
Finished the Celi EMI 3-9 set and like it much more than I thought would be possible.......especially the middle 5,6,7 symphonies. The slow trance like Celi tempos build into very powerful climaxes with blazing brass making a very wide dynamic range of sounds, I can see why this set has many strong loyal fans. I long resisted trying them because the very slow times made me think they would be bland boring performances, I was surprised that i was completely captivated by them.

Even though the tempos are very slow overall it is like the "slow motion replay" effect I mentioned above where you are mesmorized by illuminated inner details and shimmering beauty of the sounds (puts you into a dream state almost) before soaring high to impressive towering musical peaks. Also the slower speeds give a more majestic feel to symphonies and also a darker more somber undertone which I find unique to these later EMI Celi works.

This is not for Bruckner newbies, but serious collectors will find these versions essential and have you rethink what is possible with Bruckner symphonies, now part of my permanent Bruckner collection. I should also mention that each symphony jewel case has it's own thick booklet with many photos and background of each live recording.

I have now started the Barenboim set.......

Nov 7, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #433 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Let me know what you think of the Celi. I just picked up Barenboim doing 2, 5, 9, and Harnoncourt doing 9. So far Harnoncourt is sounding pretty good (listening now). Barenboim is good-but-not-great, as he so often is.

Have listened to Barenboim BPO 7,8,9 a couple times now and have to admit they are very good, this coming from someone almost never impressed with any of his works. Very good sound for live recordings, nicely balanced being both bold and majestic as required, will continue on but this will surely be another keeper.

Decided to try his BPO Bruckner set after getting his recent Mahler 7th which was also very good, so I had to give him some more listens. Have not heard his older CSO set from 1980s.....

Nov 8, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #434 of 554
Have 3 very hard to find Bruckner Cds arriving very soon from HMV Japan:
Giulini/VPO/DG 8th
Giulini/VPO/DG 7th
Schuricht/VPO/EMI 9th (1961)

The Schuricht VPO 9th is perfect companion to the magnificent VPO 8th contained on EMI 2CD Schuricht Great Conductors of the 20th Century, the 1961 VPO 9th extremely hard to find now.

Instead of getting the Arkiv CDR replica of Giulini VPO 8th for $30 discussed recently just got the actual CD from HMV Japan selling for 2,000 yen ($17)

Nov 8, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #435 of 554
Finished the Barenboim/BPO/Warner Classics 1-9 set, the results:

Best in the set, very good performances and worth getting on individual CDs if you don't get complete set, none of these would be a "reference" first choice candidate however.

These are good to very good but not outstanding performances, not worth acquiring individually but in context of complete set no real weakness.

Weakest in the set and a let down overall

The set is sold very cheap @$50 at Amazon with generally very good modern sound and using one of the very best Bruckner orchestras with BPO, but does not quite acheive greatness like the Jochum EMI set which I would recommend as best single set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back