Favorite 32gb CF card for flash mod?
Jul 11, 2009 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aamefford

I have a custom title!
As the title says, do people have a favorite 32gb compact flash card for the ipod (4G in my case) CF mod? Thanks in advance. Note that I've duplicated this post in portable sources, just in case someone misses it here. Oh, and yes, I've searched pretty extensively, and I haven't found anything conclusive. Thank you all!

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 8
I would go with the Kingston, I have tried their other sizes, and none of them are bad at all. Its the cheapest for the price, an A-Data is what I am currently using, theres really nothing wrong with any of them, unless you google it and it says its incompatible. I hope I helped you with your question.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 8
I have used two, an A-Data and an noname I got on ebay, both work very well for me. Can't say one work better than the other. I have heard only good things about the A-Data. Rockbox has some good info compiled on their site, worth checking out.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 8
The cheapest one. When you pay more you usually just get higher write speeds and maybe higher lifetime.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cheapest one. When you pay more you usually just get higher write speeds and maybe higher lifetime.

That only applies when you buy from a known good retailer.

If you buy off ebay, etc... be careful when buying the cheapest item.. as it could have lower than rated memory capacity or low lifetime.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Billyk - Thanks for the RockBox lead - once I found the info in the documents section, there is a lot of info there. Everyone loves the A-Data, so it is now hard to find. I've had conflicting reports on the Ridata and Kensington, both fairly inexpensive and available. Ridata also has one that is UDMA? Anyone know what that means?

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 8
This one from Newegg works I have put it in 4 Minis for other people. I know it is not the size you are looking for, but I also know it works and the price is pretty good. I got lucky on mine, the one from ebay was from a guy who had already tried it in a Mini and the mini broke so he sold the card and I got the other on Newegg deal. Good luck on the mod it is easy and really makes a difference.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere here that lists all that have worked and ones that don't work so well. I was sure I bookmarked it but can't find it now. Maybe someone else did, as I was surprised at the amount of brands that didn't adapt well to the ipod. And in some instances the brand's 16gb was fine, but their 32 was sus......things like that.....

And there were some of the cheapo ebay ones that were fine, which is probably what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back