Fav guitar solos
Jun 5, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #31 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
Don't forget that he added echo, reverb and distortion when he had to do it mechanically. The electronics didn't exist. Then from his mechanical devices, he was able to get RCA among others to help with developing the electronics.

Everything they have today came from those garage beginings. Plus, he and wife Mary Ford made some fantastic music.

Yes, Fender, Gibson and others were very important for hardware. It was imagination and foresight that are his legacy to our music today.

Don't forget his single biggest contribution to modern music production... The multitrack recorder!!

Now if only these producers recording Britney Spears would learn to use them properly and not over-produce that crap. There's something to be said for having all the musicians in the same room at te same time.

Jun 5, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #32 of 81
How about these:

"Too Rolling Stoned" - Robin Trower
The whole "Shut Up And Play Your Guitar" Series - Frank Zappa
"Swatting Flies" - Bumblefoot aka Ron Thal
"End Of The World" - Gary Moore
"The Rocker" - Thin Lizzy
"Stairway To Heaven" - Led Zeppelin
"Working Man" - Rush
"Moanjam" - King's X
"Dirty Women" - Black Sabbath
"In The Gallery" - Dire Straits
"Hear About It Later" - Van Halen
"Bare My Naked Soul" - Jesse Johnson
"Cry" - Doyle Bramhall II
"Jungle" - Jef Lee Johnson
"Back To Square One" - Ernie Isley (solo)
"Comfortably Numb" - Pink Floyd
"Power To Love" - Jimi Hendrix
"Highway Star" - Deep Purple
"Maggot Brain" - Funkadelic

etc, etc, etc...

Jun 5, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #33 of 81
Originally posted by Cherokee Mist
How about these:

"Dirty Women" - Black Sabbath
""Highway Star" - Deep Purple

I should have mentioned these
biggrin.gif
two of the best 70s bands IMO.

Jun 6, 2002 at 1:38 PM Post #34 of 81
The test I use is that the song / lick can't be played loudly enough!

In this fashion from the less is more school, hats off to Robert Fripp for "Prince Rupert's Lament" from the album Lizard. Positively hair raising!

I don't remember seeing Richard Thompson mentioned anywhere in this thread. "Shoot Out the Lights" is legendary but "The Way That It Shows" gets my vote. A thick, totally desperate display.

Just my $0.02.
Steve

Jun 7, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #36 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
Eric Clapton's solo in Sunshine Of Your Love.
Hendrix-Machine Gun
Eric Clapton-White Room
Hendrix-Voodo Child (slight return)

Excellent choices, but you forgot Clapton's "Tales of Brave Ulysses". And for my money the best Jimmy Page is "Since I've been Loving You"
Hard to choose on Hendrix; "Machine Gun" is well chosen, but how about "Red House"?

And very simple, but effective: Santana's "Soul Sacrifice".

Of course, someone pointed out, there is a lot of fabulous guitar soloing in the jazz idiom.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #37 of 81
..'cuz all my guitar-oriented stuff is at work.
biggrin.gif

Here's a few solos that rapidly spring to mind (I just can't rank them - they're all so good!):

- Frank Zappa - 'Drafted Again' from "You Are What You Is" - I love this tone.

- Mark Ribot - 'Sixteen Shells From A 30-06' from the Tom Waits CD "Big Time" - Mark plays so outside the chord and then brings it right back in on the next note. Amazing guy.

- Neil Young - 'Down By The River' from "Decade" - I love Neil for this track.

- Frank Zappa - 'Willie The Pimp' from "Hot Rats" - 14+ minutes of inspiring solo. I hear something new every time I listen to it.

- Vernon Ried - 'Money Talks' from "Biscuits" EP by Living Colour - There's a point in this solo where you can almost hear the bass player say "F#!k It!" and he stops playing! Toward the end he figures out where the One is.. I like to think of this song as the one that broke up the band. Not that I'm glad they broke up - THEY ROCKED!

- Frank Zappa - 'Pojamma People' from "One Size Fits All" - more snorky tone!

-Jerry Garcia - 'Eyes Of The World' from "Without A Net" CD by The Grateful Dead - I loved to listen to Jerry play live - you could hear how his brain was working. Sometimes it didn't work but most of the time it did - this is one of those times. Listen to it and think of how the number 3 fits into his phrasing.

- Mike Keneally - outro from 'The Car Song' from "hat" - Go see Mike - He'll rip your head off.

-Luther Dickinson - 'Po Black Maddie' from "Shake Hands With Shorty" CD by The North Mississippi Allstars - must be heard to be believed.

-Frank Zappa - 'Magic Fingers' from "200 Motels" sndtk - an amazing solo considering the time (1971) and the place (a movie studio in London) and the medium (video tape) that it was recorded with.

-Niel Young - 'Love And Only Love' from "Weld" - there's a point where you can hear his amp almost melt...

Of course there's more buy these guys and others, but these spring to mind the quickest.

ok,
erix

Jun 7, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #38 of 81
I agree that Zappa is excellent in places; very underrated as a matter of fact. Thanks for reminding us!

Neil Young is a songwriter, not a guitarist IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #39 of 81
Speaking of Fripp -- how about "Requiem" from Beat. I've felt that way once, but I didn't have the ...erm... discipline to play and show my feelings that way.

Jun 7, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #40 of 81
sorry, yes! rocky mountain way.
I didn't want to dis Ritchie Blackmore..off of the album Live Rainbow, he had a cool song, I think it was a song titled "blues."
I remember reading about Blackmore in some magazine(could have been Guitar Player) about how he had a reel to reel on stage with him and how people thought his licks were just recorded. He said he used the reel to reel to create sound effects. This was the seventies, when the only sound effects you could get were a BigMuff or pedals. He got so pissed about those comments during one concert, he turned off the reel to reel and went off!
If I'm not mistaken, Ritchie liked a Stratocaster with an ebony neck as opposed to the maple one. Sorry, I have a trivial brain.
md

Jun 7, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #43 of 81
My favorite Jimmy Page solos: Travelling Riverside Blues, In The Evening

John Squire (Stone Roses): Driving South

Neil Young: That one-note bit in Cinnamon Girl (just kidding!)

least favorite guitar anything: That sh!t multi-layering of guitars job from Boston - it sounds so cheesy that its offensive to me(imho of course)

Guitarist that this thread has gotten me interested in: Randy Rhoads

Jun 8, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #44 of 81
I thought that I would add a "few" more to the list...

"Scuttlebuttin" - SRV
"The Wizard" - Al DiMeola
"Still Raining, Still Dreaming" - Jimi Hendrix
"Smelly Ol' Dog Blues" - Scott Henderson
"My Way Down" - Chris Duarte
"About Me" - Bill Perry
"Valley Of The Kings" - Blue Murder
"Rock Bottom" - UFO
"Nobody To Depend On" - Santana
"Starstruck" - Rainbow
"Camera Eye" - Rush
"Black Rose" - Thin Lizzy
"Rock And Roll Hootchie Koo" - Rick Derringer
"Yours Is No Disgrace" - Yes
"Brighton Rock" - Queen

etc, etc, etc...

Jun 8, 2002 at 1:57 PM Post #45 of 81
Another that I just recently heard after picking up her CD was Stevie Ray Vaughn on Jennifer Warnes' "Famous Blue Raincot" cd. He is on "First We take Manhattan". His style is easily recognizable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back