Fav Album from "Everything But The Girl"?
Jul 21, 2005 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
I really enjoy "Walking Wounded" from Everything But The Girl.
What are some other good albums from this group?
I bought Amplified Heart yesterday and it's pretty good, for fairly mellow music.
Your suggestions?

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 9
Long-term fan here. Amplified Heart is the transitional album from when they went from a kind of twee, cutesy Brit-Pop band into a more mature electronica-based act. The husband of the duo, Ben Watt, went through a serious illness and came out the other side a changed man, started hanging out in clubs, getting into DJ-ing and electronica and totally changed the group's sound. If you like Walking Wounded (it's my favorite, too), the follow-up (and final album, I think they divorced), is most similar and called Tempermental, well worth getting. I like a lot of their earlier music, but a lot of it suffers from that tinny cheap 80's production style that can make you wince now. Still, Tracy's voice cuts through all that. Of the earlier albums Idlewild is the best, IMO. There are a million comps out there that can give you a good overview of the earlier stuff (try Home Movies).

P.S. Ben Watt also produced Beth Orton's last album Daybreaker. This is also electronica-tinged folk with a singer whose voice just melts you. Great album, though her previous one, Central Reservation, is even better, very much recommended for fans of EBTG.

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 9
I'll always remember "Missing" from EBTG - the club mix - because it was Mango's theme song from SNL. Just like "What is Love" was for those guys at the Roxbury on SNL. Classic! Anyhow you probably have the best album of theirs, Walking Wounded. I never got into the albums before or after it - I guess it was a transitional lightning in a bottle. Oh and get the "Missing" CD Single for those fun club mixes, including a juiced up version of the Amplified Heart album track.

BTW one cover from their earlier days is brilliant - they covered "Back to the Old House" by the Smiths on their acoustic live album. Very nice.

Edit - oh, and on the "Red, Hot and Rio" compilation they did a great cover of "Corcovado" in the vein of Walking Wounded, so that track alone is worth getting the album for.

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 9
The four I've held on to for some time now (in order of preference):

Amplified Heart
Walking Wounded

their contribution (though not their music) to the Back to Mine series.
B00005JDC0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

and Temperamental

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 9
I learned about them in the mid '80s. I've always been partial to these two:
"Everything But The Girl", and "Idlewild"
d30392f2xn2.jpg
d68548q05ej.jpg

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 9
i'd second blessingx with Walking Wounded and Back to Mine.

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 9
My favorite is The Language of Life. Completely different style from the others mentioned here, but I just love it. Next after that are Walking Wounded and Amplified Heart, probably in that order.

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 9
My favorite is "Home Movies" which is a 'best of' that wasn't released in the US. It had one new song on it: "I didn't know I was looking for love".

Took me years to find that song and that album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back