Faulty IE8s, or usual issue with IEMs/IE8s?
Jul 2, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #16 of 30
Doesn't sound good. There's NO problem with the output on my 3G S unless I very deliberately rotate the jack a considerable amount. It's been perfect since day one.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #17 of 30
I think right now it's a case of refund or replace being the question - I'm not hanging on to an expensive product hoping it comes right. I can't imagine Play selling fakes but it's possible - anyone have a recommended retailer to use that can match £180?

Thanks for the input all.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #18 of 30
They're not fakes if they came with the Sennheiser case and the hoarde of tips, and if they sound amazing, and if you had to cut the plastic shield from the back. I wouldn't worry about people trying to worry you.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #19 of 30
OMG THEY ARE FAKE!!!! AHHH!... Guys they aren't fake, don't jump to conclusions.

I had this problem too, there is feedback if you move/spin the jack around. Try cleaning your jack, I found it to be really dirty after putting it inside my Touch, There was this film of unknown substance covering the jack and once I cleaned it off, there was no more feedback.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #20 of 30
There may be some fakes out there, but I don't think its been confirmed...
See: fakeheadphones.com » Fake Sennheiser IE8? Probably!

I'd guess your pair is just faulty.

My DT880's exhibited the same issue you described in your OP (distortion/wiggling required to get both channels to come in). I assumed it was a problem with the phono plug, and indeed, cutting off the original plug, and soldering on a replacement neutrik solved it. Best of luck on your return/replacement.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #21 of 30
My own IE8s, purchased from the web, were a bit noisy at the jack out of the box, but settled down quickly. However, after a few weeks the connections became intermittent and got slowly worse until eventually they would produce only a mono signal. Actually it sounded like the difference signal between the two channels, consistent with a break in the ground connection.

I sent them back last week for replacement on the advice of the technician as Sennheiser Canada.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #22 of 30
my IE8 initially had some static sound only when i turned the jack inside my A728, but i could get sound from both ears without a problem. The static sound went away after a couple of days though, so shouldn't be a big issue.

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #23 of 30
Interestingly, the up/down flex line noise has dissapeared after a few more hours use. One channel (I haven't worked out if it's one, or both) still gets quieter then equals if the jack is disturbed, but its more intermittent now. Pushing downwards towards the headphone port on the jack replicates the problem with little pressure.

This is interesting and awkward - It's hard to send something back as faulty if the problem is getting harder to replicate, and it might not actually be faulty. Or, it might be an early sign of a fault and it'll crop up properly when I lose one channel completely. Sennheiser's 2 year warrenty is a good fallback, but I'm not really sure what to do now...

The bit I don't really get is why the headphones would actually do this for the first hours of use!

Jul 3, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #24 of 30
Well, there could be a film left over on the metal jack due to manufacturing process. Try rubbing the metal jack vigorously with rubbing alcohol to clean it off. Try leaving it wet and putting it in your iPhone jack as well and spin it a bit to clean whatever is in there as well (if anything came off the jack while in there) Actually, maybe not inside.. that might trigger the moisture indicator and void your warranty.

Post your results.

Btw, my iPod Touch has the exact same problem with anything I plug into it.. if I spin the jack, it cuts out randomly.. could be the contacts are too wide.

Another thought, compare jacks with your other earphones. Differences in size, interfering with 4th contact? Did you say they're staticky in other sources? I can't remember if you did or not...

Or, is there any chance the metal of the jack under the rubber part is rubbing against the metal part of the jack of the phone? I can't remember what it looked like in detail, but I remember reading about a problem similar to this a while back with another earphone.. there was a metal hump or rim at the top of the jack just before the rubber shielding that would scrape against the metal contact on the outside and cause static. Looking at my UM3X, there is metal exposed and sure enough it does touch the outside of the jack on my iPod Touch.. could very well be that. I know the iPhone has a metal ring around it's jack.

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #25 of 30
My IE8's had static noise/channel loss on insertion to a DAP, especially if the jack was moved - the first pair worse than the second. In both cases, after a couple of days, it went away....

Perseverance. Patience.

Why? God knows, unless kloan is on the right track re a 'film' left over from mfg.

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #26 of 30
Another vote for using them makes it go away...

When I started the IE8 appreciation thread back in October last year (holy crap, nearly a year ago!!) - I mentioned this in the first post... - It definitely does (or at least, should!) go away after a few hours of use / taking in and out of sockets...

Hope it helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are one of the best online retailers in the UK.

Agreed, except they're not in the UK, they're on the Channel Islands supplying the UK and thus do not have to adhere to the UK's Distance Selling Regulations (which is my point, i'm not just digging at you
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I've had no such problems with my IE8s either on my 729 or my D2, but obviously other people have so you're not alone.
I've sent something back to Play before and they weren't the fastest at responding but they dealt with the return well, so don't be too put off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back