Faulty HD600's?
Oct 21, 2012 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

saltyheaven

New Head-Fier
HI all,

First post here !  However  I've been doing quite a bit of reading, thanks.

I've just bought myself a set of HD600's.  On first listen I was very dissapointed, so much so that I thought my amp or something must be innapropriate.

Three days later I'm thinking I may have a faulty set of cans.

The sound I am getting is very bass heavy and lacking in high mids and highs.

I have driven the HD600's with the headphone amp in my Sound Devices Usbpre 2, and also from my Sony PCM D-50. Both provide me with plenty of level and the exact same bass heavy sound. I'm aware that neither is a dedicated HP amp however they are also both very good units, especially the Sound Devices.
  The source has been both mastered music and self recorded files at 24/48 as well as Mp3's. The result always the same.
  I have switched in my trusty set of HD280 pro's and they sound fine (for what they are.)

Is there something I'm missing here?   I've not experienced it yet but I read here about the sound changing over the first few hundred hours of use...  could this be the cause?  I mean, at the moment they sound terrible.

Has anyone else encountered a dud set?    Are there fakes?

Thanks for your time,  

cheers,  Mikey

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 5
SUURE. I bought HD598 and when I listened to it out of the box, bass was somewhat ipod stock earphone-ish and everything was harsh. I even thought of returning them. Well, after 70 hours of burn in it sounded great. Start playing some flac files with wide frequency and you should hear differences.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 5
I had some initial disappointment before initial burn in too. Maybe let them play a little before you come back to them.

Otherwise the 600s should be pretty neutral and have a mid emphasis if any.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 5
It seems like a source issue. My set don't feel like they are anemic in the treble even when comparing to my more treble happy cans. They certainly don't feel bass heavy either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back