FatMan ITUBE
Jan 16, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #16 of 36
The MP-5 is on sale
http://www.dared.us/MP-5.htm
at $399 it's quite a bit cheaper unlss that dock and the speakers make up the difference. Does anyone know how much the speakers that come with the fatman are worth? I also see the fatman comes with a remote and all. This may not seem like a big deal, but being disabled, it would come in handy for someone like me who would like to enjoy his iPd in his room. The full out FatMan with speakers and all is $749 at J&R. I am just wondering if $350 is worth it for the dock and the speakers. I have to admit my wife would appreciate the matching pieces as she tries to keep things nicely decorated with what we can afford. I was even thinking a pair of Paradigm Atom speakers might make a difference depending on the quality of the ones that come with the fatman the price difference may be justified, heck, a chrome matching cradle and a remote wil run you a god $80-100 or more for any component.

Any opinions?

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #17 of 36
I've now been using an iTube since before Christmas, with a variety of iPods, and I have to say that I'm VERY impressed. To those who doubt the point of using a valve amp with compressed music files, I simply say that all that matters to me is how good something sounds for the price, and not why, or how it achieves it, nor whether it gets rave reviews from the fashionistas.

If I'm going to listen to an iPod through speakers, then I want it to sound as good as it possibly can (I want as close as I can get to full Hi Fi sound).

In my view, the Fatman iTube achieves exactly that, and funds permitting, I'd seriously consider buying more of them for different rooms in the house.

And it's not because it's trendy looking chrome and black, and it's not because the valves flicker and glow (I keep the protective cage on mine), - it's all about the sound.

Even if your music is ripped in 192 kbps MP3 files, as mine is, I think that you WILL notice a real difference with an iTube. I know that I can hear a massive difference. Even at £500 it represents the best quality-for-money system I’ve owned, and even with the baseline speakers that come with the Fatman iTube, you get a compact iPod/TV/CD ready set up that stands comparison with far, far more expensive audiophile gear.

Before I got an iTube, I used to occasionally play with one in my local John Lewis (a big UK department store) and was astonished at the ‘presence’ the sound had - even in a cavernous retail environment – and I was amazed at the way in which other shoppers stopped what they were doing and marvelled at the lovely warm sound pumped out by the iTube.

It may look like the Dared, and the Vuum, and may even be a re-branded version of the same kit, but all I can say is that the iTube really sounds superb. Perhaps what might appear to be the same basic kit from the same Chinese factory might really be completely different systems under the skin? Perhaps the iTube uses better valves than the Dared and Vuum, perhaps it’s not tuned in the same way, perhaps the speakers are better – I don’t pretend to know. Perhaps it’s like comparing the Sennheiser CX300 and the Sharp MD33 – those dam.ned things look completely identical, but sound significantly different!

And now the whisper I hear is that the iTube system will soon be shipping with even better speakers, and at an (as yet undefined) slightly (?) lower price point, while there's supposed to be a black version (with dock and amp in the same chassis) called the iTube ‘Carbon’ edition which is uprated to 25 watts per channel and which costs £499.

Fatman iTube
iTube-w-speakers-Set-Up-LG.jpg

Carbon edition
carbon_w_speakers.jpg

They also do a variety of more expensive tube amps, all shipping with the iPod dock and remote, with different valve configurations.

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #18 of 36
I wish I could afford on of these just for the speaker aspect. Unfortunately I can't, but maybe in the future. I looked at them a while ago, but opted for the Jolida tube amp and my AKG 701's. Good luck with it, and if you enjoy it thats all that counts.

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am intrigued by these speakers:

http://www.fat-man.co.uk/docs/product/fatboys_1.htm

would love to audition them some day, hope they sound as good as they look.

http://www.audiocubes2.com/category/...Amplifier.html

look familiar? Just different color (but lullettes (classy name for that line of Eclipse speakers) are made in black too actually) and the tweeter up top. But judging by the revies of lullettes the tweeter is totally unnecessary.

I am tempted to say Fatman is ripping off less well-known products, cause that makes it 2.

Mar 12, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #20 of 36
Pretty sure you can't say one company is "ripping off" another based on the looks. What makes you think Fatman ripped off Dared, and not the other way around? Nonetheless, I know many laptop companies (Sony, Dell etc) buy generic computer chassis from manufacturers and rebrand it and resell it, in completely legal manners. If all the specs are the same, then u might call it a ripoff, but if they arent, then....

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The design is generic and many manufacturers make what looks like exactly the same unit. The internals and tubes used vary I believe.

Interesting. Here are the specs:

Fatman: # Power Output 13Wx2
# Frequency Response 20Hz – 20KHz (±1.5Db)
# Harmonic Distortion 0.5%
# Signal-To-Noise Ratio 86Db
# Input Impedance 100K
# Output Impedance 4ohm, 8ohm
# Valve Type 2x6N1(ECC85) 1x6E2(EM87)
# Power Supply AC100~120V/50~60Hz AC220~240V/50~60Hz

Dimensions:
# Amp (LxWxH) 260x145x130mm
# Dock (WxDxH) 155x130x123mm
# Weight 4.3KGs

Dared MP5
Type: Vacuum tube stereo amplifier
Power Output: 13 watts per channel at 8 ohm
Tube Compliment: two 12AX7 and one 6E2 (EM87)
Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz (±1.5dB)
Distortion: 0.5 percent
Signal to Noise: 86dB
Input Sensitivity: 300mV
Input Impedance: 100K ohm
Output Impedance: ohm/8 ohm
Dimensions: 260 x 145 x 130 (LxWxH in mm)
Weight: 4.3 Kg.

Looks the same to me... it would be interesting if the unit were different - just not altogether convinced that it is.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

I own one. See here:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=211788

It is excellent and easilt the best speaker system for the iPod that I have heard. Look at some of the new amps that they are building too.

To the poster about the headphone out, this is a speaker amp with a headphone socket, not a headphone amp, so sure it will be cr@p.

To the poster saying it is a Dared rip-off, I would be very careful that TL Audio don't see that stupid remark (if they do I will happily watch them suing you!). This is a generic design made by various maufacurers such as Sonic, Vuum, Dared and TL Audio (Fatman).

I thoroughly recommend that you listen to the iTube, you will be very impressed. I used the Chesky CD 4 Ultimate Demonstration Disc and the iTube performed extremely well.

Simon

be careful before you are sued for talking like your a company representative and know what TL audio would do or say.
I hope I'im not the only one who got a laugh out of this thread.

Mar 12, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #24 of 36
The Fatboys are NOTHING like those you link to.

They don't look anything like them, and from reading the specs they're not remotely similar. The Fatboys are hand-sanded cast aluminium, on leather pads, and have a 5 inch diameter......

Mar 12, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by snowball_rx-7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
be careful before you are sued for talking like your a company representative and know what TL audio would do or say.
I hope I'im not the only one who got a laugh out of this thread.

Feel better now! Thanks for your stunning contribution to this thread. Back to sleep now, little boy.

A couple of points. The word is "you're" not "your". And I suspect you are the only one getting a laugh. Perhaps your life is sadder than others here.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Feel better now! Thanks for your stunning contribution to this thread. Back to sleep now, little boy.

A couple of points. The word is "you're" not "your". And I suspect you are the only one getting a laugh. Perhaps your life is sadder than others here.

ooooo.... grammar Nazi, and name calling. You really are amazing.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #27 of 36
ROFLMAO! There's nothing wrong with correct spelling and grammar, in fact it is to be encouraged, so I hope you have been suitably encouraged to do better
plainface.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by snowball_rx-7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ooooo.... grammar Nazi, and name calling. You really are amazing.
rolleyes.gif

Shush. One is more than enough.

Interesting thing you point out with the specs Jason, anyone want to pull up the specs for the speakers?

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #29 of 36
The review is an interesting read. The tubes on this can't possibly be producing the rated output so it's really a hybrid - but one where transistors actually generate the power (as opposed to frequency control of the output as I undertand is the case with the Millett).

i just saw this at a local hi-fi shop - it was about CAD$1300 including speakers. And we get the crummy "safe version" with an enclosure. No thanks.

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Correcting spelling and grammar is pompous and arrogant. Not everyone has time for gooder grammar and spelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back