FatFreq Maestro SE - The King of Top of the Line Bass?
Mar 28, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #331 of 633
MSE is here...

...and it's good.

To start, MSE has such an inoffensive tuning.

That may not seem like much, however, I have bought and sold TOTL sets at more than twice the price of this thing in a flash because they were unlistenable in one way or another - sibilant treble, notes too thin-sounding, harsh upper-mids...etc. (Not to mention the gents over at FF have been offering discount deals for a little while now.) MSE more or less avoids all of these potential pitfalls, and delivers a sound that can be effortlessly listened to for hours, and is likely to offend next to no one. I think this is an iem that most people, even those not looking for a transducer with such a dramatic bass shelf, will have a hard time denying sounds pretty sweet.

MSE isn't the most technically impressive iem I've heard: it may not have the best texture, or the biggest staging, or the most airy layering, or dazzling detail, or lifelike vocals....but it also doesn't disappointingly swing and miss on any of those things either. Everything MSE does, it does really well. And damn is it fun, musical, and engaging as hell. I will even go so far as to say it's one of the most engaging iems I've ever heard, while concurrently being one of the least offensive. And this thing definitely has bass that digs deeper than anything I've heard before. And because nearly all of the bass is in the sub-region, it truly does "disappear" when your music doesn't demand it, which dramatically adds to MSE's versatility. (This is completely different from something like the xe6, which has an ever-present warmth whether the song calls for it or not.)

In my opinion, the MSE a legitimate allrounder with incredible bass, and sky-high engagement and musicality, all of which is delivered inoffensively, and at a relative bargain price when compared to so much else out there.

In the $2k and below segment, MSE is now my top recommendation.

Cheers, FatFreq.

TLDR: The battery on my mojo just died unexpectedly in the middle of a song with the MSE in my ears...that's my one-line 5 star review.

Mar 30, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #332 of 633
MSE is here...

...and it's good.

That may not seem like much, however, I have bought and sold TOTL sets at more than twice the price of this thing in a flash because they were unlistenable in one way or another - sibilant treble, notes too thin-sounding, harsh upper-mids...etc. (Not to mention the gents over at FF have been offering discount deals for a little while now.) MSE more or less avoids all of these potential pitfalls, and delivers a sound that can be effortlessly listened to for hours, and is likely to offend next to no one. I think this is an iem that most people, even those not looking for a transducer with such a dramatic bass shelf, will have a hard time denying sounds pretty sweet.

MSE isn't the most technically impressive iem I've heard: it may not have the best texture, or the biggest staging, or the most airy layering, or dazzling detail, or lifelike vocals....but it also doesn't disappointingly swing and miss on any of those things either. Everything MSE does, it does really well. And damn is it fun, musical, and engaging as hell. I will even go so far as to say it's one of the most engaging iems I've ever heard, while concurrently being one of the least offensive. And this thing definitely has bass that digs deeper than anything I've heard before. And because nearly all of the bass is in the sub-region, it truly does "disappear" when your music doesn't demand it, which dramatically adds to MSE's versatility. (This is completely different from something like the xe6, which has an ever-present warmth whether the song calls for it or not.)

In my opinion, the MSE a legitimate allrounder with incredible bass, and sky-high engagement and musicality, all of which is delivered inoffensively, and at a relative bargain price when compared to so much else out there.

Cheers, FatFreq.

TLDR: The battery on my mojo just died unexpectedly in the middle of a song with the MSE in my ears...that's my one-line 5 star review.

Thank you!

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #334 of 633
Hi all. Can someone please tell me what is
Impedance:
Sensitivity:
of these IEM?
I tried to get this information from Ben over the last few days or so.
Unless he mistook my question, it sounds like Maestro SE and Grand Maestro are approximately 95dB/mW@1Khz

Grand Maestro is 38 ohms nominal.
Guessing Maestro SE is similar, but I didn't get a figure on this.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #335 of 633
Hi all. Can someone please tell me what is
Impedance:
Sensitivity:
of these IEM?
I tried to get this information from Ben over the last few days or so.
Unless he mistook my question, it sounds like Maestro SE and Grand Maestro are approximately 95dB/mW@1Khz

Grand Maestro is 38 ohms nominal.
Guessing Maestro SE is similar, but I didn't get a figure on this.

I'll check for an official response on this for you all!

Apr 19, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #338 of 633
Hi Guys, just got the Maestro SE, just wondering whats everyone's preferred cable? Or is the stocked cable already pretty good? Thanks
Looking forward to hearing your impressions!

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #341 of 633
MSE is here...

...and it's good.

Cheers, FatFreq.

Great review! What’s your view on the Maestro SE against Traillii/Annihilator?

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #342 of 633
Can you please explain what you mean by custom cable?
You have basically 2 options. The first one go to a store and buy a cable from another manufacturer that fits you best for example PW Audio Century Series The 1950s headphone cable :) Or hand made cable (like I did) but please dont order from china as most of them are crap. I had 2 bad expirience were I paid $300 (ivipq-96)for a cable which had a high rating and after reciving it got very disappointed because of the sound qulity.

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #343 of 633
I purchased several cables on AliExpress and not a single one was bad in sound quality.

For affordable cables that can be customized you can have a look at XINHS shop on AliExpress.

Build quality is always excellent and improvement in sound quality can be heard easily, depending on cable material and synergy with the IEM

I currently use a 4 core silver plated single christal copper cable for my Legend Evo and it really helps to bring out the treble more and tighten the bass for an overall cleaner more precise presentation.

I bought it a year ago for my EJ07m and was not happy with it because the bass was "gone".
At that time I was not aware of the different effects that the cable materials have....it is all about synergy and now I really enjoy using that cable with Evo.

Personaly I did not feel like spending hundreds and hundreds for a cable, especially not if I can not test them first and find the perfect match.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #344 of 633
Great review! What’s your view on the Maestro SE against Traillii/Annihilator?
Haven't heard the Annihilator...only X. I agree with popular opinion that Elysian treble is fantastic, but I found the overall sound of X to be very artificial, relatively incoherent, with excessively light timbre.

Traillii is one of my all-time favorite IEMs with some of the best timbre I've ever heard, top-notch vocals, world-class separation and excellent L/R separation. It's a relatively balanced sound, albeit with a healthy dose of warmth and body, but again, not at the expense of balance.

Maestro SE is one of the few V-shaped IEMs I like. And while it isn't the most technically impressive IEM, as I mentioned before, it is quite impressive in how inoffensive it is; it's one of the few iems I've heard that does almost nothing wrong. It has some of the best bass I've heard (maybe not in texture, but considering how powerful and prominent it is, its overall integration into the sound signature without disturbing anything else is quite an accomplishment.)

In the $2k and below segment, I haven't heard any other IEM that comes close to delivering the engagement factor that MSE does.

Not really saying anything I haven't already said...but trying to answer your question, insofar as comparing a sub-$2k IEM with two $4k+ iems can be helpful...

Apr 20, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #345 of 633
Ah, I can feel my ears burning now... here come the cable-loving folks to roast me for this post.
Can you please explain what you mean by custom cable?
I'm going to steal a few of the lines from the post above, that you should really take to heart.
I purchased several cables on AliExpress and not a single one was bad in sound quality.

For affordable cables that can be customized you can have a look at XINHS shop on AliExpress.

Build quality is always excellent--
In other words:
Do NOT spend transducer-level cash on a $1,000 cable. Transducer >>>> cable, unless you have a faulty cable, cable termination, or something else is funky in your chain.
You WILL NOT realize any objective improvements. The only 'improvements' would be if the cables have a different or unexpected impedance, or build issue.

As stated by rinderkappajoe, in the first bit of his post, you can save a lot of money and get great cables from Aliexpress.
They're likely similar to those "fancy" cables, without the snake oil markups.
Instead, you can spend $100 or so and grab a few cables that you think look cool and might end up being better designed or more comfortable than the stock cable.

Additional funds are better spent by purchasing other options to try out and explore your personal sound preferences with.

Note: To those that enjoy your fancy cables, all the more power to you! This is not meant to be an attack on anyone or their preferences.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back