FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Dec 20, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #1,517 of 2,057
Anyone looking for a portable DAC/amp for their scarlet mini, I really can't sing the praises of the new Fiio KA13 enough. This thing is TINY, yet it pumps out 550mw into the 4.4mm balanced output and doesn't even get too hot doing it.

Using it on my android device, selecting the minimum phase fast roll off filter (find it's best for EDM. Minimum phase ensuring perfect phase at least in the bass/midbass, and fast roll off I find helps take full advantage of the drivers in the scarlet mini, preventing the bass from being too bloated while also letting the non fatiguing highs really sparkle through in a crisp way) and then using wavelet for high quality EQ on tidal or spotify, gets me an incredible experience. I find myself using up to 30/50 volume in the high gain(desktop mode).

It uses a cirrus logic DAC chip. It's the first time I've heard one. I really dig it. It's really nice and transparent truly, without being too sheen-y like some ESS DACs I've heard, while simultaneously having immense authority in the bass down lowww. I find it gives a great tactile feeling to the sound across the entire range while still being extremely detailed and not muddy at all. Mid range is great too, fits perfectly between the boosted bass and the crisp highs of the scarlet.

It just looks so good as well (I prefer the black colour). The little window view into the circuitry is just mwah. And at such a good price!

I find this DAC is truly, truly a perfect match for the Scarlet Minis.

I was previously trying the Quedelix 5k with the Scarlets and it's not even close. Sounds bloated and lacking authority on the Quedelix straight out.

Attachments

• PC223944 1.jpg
    PC223944 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #1,518 of 2,057
Anyone looking for a portable DAC/amp for their scarlet mini, I really can't sing the praises of the new Fiio KA13 enough. This thing is TINY, yet it pumps out 550mw into the 4.4mm balanced output and doesn't even get too hot doing it.

Using it on my android device, selecting the minimum phase fast roll off filter (find it's best for EDM. Minimum phase ensuring perfect phase at least in the bass/midbass, and fast roll off I find helps take full advantage of the drivers in the scarlet mini, preventing the bass from being too bloated while also letting the non fatiguing highs really sparkle through in a crisp way) and then using wavelet for high quality EQ on tidal or spotify, gets me an incredible experience. I find myself using up to 30/50 volume in the high gain(desktop mode).

It uses a cirrus logic DAC chip. It's the first time I've heard one. I really dig it. It's really nice and transparent truly, without being too sheen-y like some ESS DACs I've heard, while simultaneously having immense authority in the bass down lowww. I find it gives a great tactile feeling to the sound across the entire range while still being extremely detailed and not muddy at all. Mid range is great too, fits perfectly between the boosted bass and the crisp highs of the scarlet.

It just looks so good as well (I prefer the black colour). The little window view into the circuitry is just mwah. And at such a good price!

I find this DAC is truly, truly a perfect match for the Scarlet Minis.

I was previously trying the Quedelix 5k with the Scarlets and it's not even close. Sounds bloated and lacking authority on the Quedelix straight out.
Nice! How is the battery drain? The volume buttons are independent from the phone volume? I'm thinking about to buy Tempotec Sonata BHD pro, but now this KA13 catches my eyes.

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #1,519 of 2,057
Thank you very much, I'm just looking for something to power my Scarlet. But for the dongles that I tested (Cayin RU6, Ifi Gold bar) my Iphone SE 2020 did not provide enough power to feed the dongle, so I am a little afraid that this will be the same with the KA13...

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #1,520 of 2,057
Thank you very much, I'm just looking for something to power my Scarlet. But for the dongles that I tested (Cayin RU6, Ifi Gold bar) my Iphone SE 2020 did not provide enough power to feed the dongle, so I am a little afraid that this will be the same with the KA13...
The KA13 is definitely powerful enough. I am comparing it with my desktop which does 4 watts @ 32ohm (burson soloist 3xp). I doubt i will ever need to go over 60% volume on the ka13 in desktop mode. (30 out of 50) so also plenty of room to spare.
-edit- But yeah perhaps not enough power provided from an iphone.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #1,521 of 2,057
Nice! How is the battery drain? The volume buttons are independent from the phone volume? I'm thinking about to buy Tempotec Sonata BHD pro, but now this KA13 catches my eyes.
Can't comment on battery drain too much as i only got it recently. But from what i have read online (and going off the tiny amount of heat it gives off), it is an extremely efficient unit.
The volume buttons are independent from the phone volume control. It also has a lot of volume steps which is important to really dial in the ideal volume.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #1,522 of 2,057
I have a silver unit. The power is impressive but my experience is a little different. Mine gets hot. Not dangerous hot but definitely hot. And as far as battery drain in desktop mode it's noticeable. You probably won't be walking around using this for an entire day without needing a charge. Still a nice piece of equipment to have given the price, sound, and output power.

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #1,523 of 2,057
Any other fellow RS6 owners here? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the pairing with synergy on it with FF stuff!

Dec 21, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #1,524 of 2,057
Any other fellow RS6 owners here? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the pairing with synergy on it with FF stuff!
Is that one of the go-to sources for the guys/girls at FatFreq? If not, I wonder what their preferred sources are!

Dec 21, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #1,525 of 2,057
I'm really thinking about the Fiio Q15 to go with the Fatfreq Maestro Mini and Scarlet Mini, but I am afraid it will sound like any other Fiio (used to own Fiio K9 Pro ESS). I am using Cayin N7 and Cayin RU6 at the moment at the office and JDS Labs Element III Mk2 for desktop setup.

Dec 21, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #1,526 of 2,057
20231221_222558.jpg

Been testing the Scarlets more and man, they are ridiculous. In both good and bad ways. Mostly because they are one of the more ridiculously tip dependant IEMs I’ve ever tested. And even with some tips even the placement of the fit matters.

Default silicon one that they come with actually aren’t too bad. Big subbass. Big midbass. Slightly veiled mids and nice highs. The highs on these are actually a lot more detailed and smooth than I expected.

Now the Tri Clarion tips that come with the whole package I have no idea why they’re included at all. Pretty much sucks out the bass and not in a good way. I feel like these are the tips you use if you hate these earphones.

JVC spiral dots are actually hilarious with these. They are so ridiculously bassy with these. It’s like I’m cramming a car subwoofer into my ears, and it’s the scarlets we’re talking about here. It’s really fun honestly but not something I would recommend as a daily driver. :sweat_smile:

Now this reaches to what I will describe as the bass monster to hifi scale. If spiral dots is on the bass monster end, the default tips would be next, and then the next one are the Spinfit Omnis. Insane rumble on these, but the mids are a more pulled out and the highs are even better while still having the bass kick like a mule. Seriously, songs like these leave me feeling assaulted in the best ways possible.

Than after the Omnis it would be the Dunu S&S. Problem for me is that the fit for these are fiddly, and not in the way that they don’t fit well, it’s more that the level of bass depends entirely on how deep they fit. If you want the rumble, you need to do a shallow fit with these, as the deeper you push in the less the bass impact is. Honestly that the strangest observations I have with these. The deeper a tip fits the less bass there is. Really weird.

Than finally comes the eletech baroques. These were actually my favourites, because it was able to keep the rumble with that more, for a lack of a better term, hifi sound. The problem is that these have an even smaller sweet spot than the S&S. Like seriously, I would think that the scarlets were broken, adjust the fit a bit, and get back to that sweet spot. It’s a shame but it’s just too fiddly for me to use daily.

tldr: Spinfit Omni and Dunu S&S offer the best balance in terms of improving the sound while still keeping that insane bass kick. Eletech baroques provides the most hifi sound but are super fiddly. Defaults are fine. The spiral dots makes these sound hilarious.

Also I have to say for what they are the headroom isn’t bad at all. If anything it feels like it has about as much headroom as my Hype 2s. I was listening to this track and the beginning sounded so distant I initially though I disconnect my earphones and the sound is coming through my phone speakers lol

Dec 21, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #1,527 of 2,057
20231221_222558.jpg

Been testing the Scarlets more and man, they are ridiculous. In both good and bad ways. Mostly because they are one of the more ridiculously tip dependant IEMs I’ve ever tested. And even with some tips even the placement of the fit matters.

Default silicon one that they come with actually aren’t too bad. Big subbass. Big midbass. Slightly veiled mids and nice highs. The highs on these are actually a lot more detailed and smooth than I expected.

Now the Tri Clarion tips that come with the whole package I have no idea why they’re included at all. Pretty much sucks out the bass and not in a good way. I feel like these are the tips you use if you hate these earphones.

JVC spiral dots are actually hilarious with these. They are so ridiculously bassy with these. It’s like I’m cramming a car subwoofer into my ears, and it’s the scarlets we’re talking about here. It’s really fun honestly but not something I would recommend as a daily driver. :sweat_smile:

Now this reaches to what I will describe as the bass monster to hifi scale. If spiral dots is on the bass monster end, the default tips would be next, and then the next one are the Spinfit Omnis. Insane rumble on these, but the mids are a more pulled out and the highs are even better while still having the bass kick like a mule. Seriously, songs like these leave me feeling assaulted in the best ways possible.

Than after the Omnis it would be the Dunu S&S. Problem for me is that the fit for these are fiddly, and not in the way that they don’t fit well, it’s more that the level of bass depends entirely on how deep they fit. If you want the rumble, you need to do a shallow fit with these, as the deeper you push in the less the bass impact is. Honestly that the strangest observations I have with these. The deeper a tip fits the less bass there is. Really weird.

Than finally comes the eletech baroques. These were actually my favourites, because it was able to keep the rumble with that more, for a lack of a better term, hifi sound. The problem is that these have an even smaller sweet spot than the S&S. Like seriously, I would think that the scarlets were broken, adjust the fit a bit, and get back to that sweet spot. It’s a shame but it’s just too fiddly for me to use daily.

tldr: Spinfit Omni and Dunu S&S offer the best balance in terms of improving the sound while still keeping that insane bass kick. Eletech baroques provides the most hifi sound but are super fiddly. Defaults are fine. The spiral dots makes these sound hilarious.

Also I have to say for what they are the headroom isn’t bad at all. If anything it feels like it has about as much headroom as my Hype 2s. I was listening to this track and the beginning sounded so distant I initially though I disconnect my earphones and the sound is coming through my phone speakers lol

Yup. Tips affect these more than any iem I've owned. Also agree the red tips they come with work pretty well. I have tried to avoid buying too many different tips because typically im fine with the few i have but these may require a few more samples to find the "perfect" pairing.

Dec 21, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #1,528 of 2,057

That's been my experience with Scarletts. For me, deep insertion muddied up the bass and normal insertion with larger tips worked the best for my ear anatomy.

I've also settled on JVC Spiral Dots++ for that sub bass thump; Azla SednaEarFit Short maintains that sub bass goodness without thinning out the mids too much with detailed highs; Azla SednaShort Lights or SpinFit Omni for balanced warmth.

With Cayin N30LE as my primary source, I'll switch to Tube Modern timbre to reduce extra warmth from Tube Classic to balance Scarlett's overall signature.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #1,530 of 2,057
Waiting on a fresh pair of spiral dots now. Looking forward to trying on the scarlets. Also waiting on the final e tips which were also recommended here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back