FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Oct 11, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #1,156 of 1,957
Ya'll are overreacting and getting your egos involved. Just be patient.
Driver count will eventually be known and full specs.

Matter of fact I can predict Scarlet Mini driver count and specs will be close to Maestro mini just different tuning (More bass + treble clarity) that we current users of Maestro Mini requested.

I'm personally waiting for various reviews before finally pulling the trigger.
What you talking about? Be patient? To this day, a year and a half after its release, FF has not disclosed the driver specs or configuration of the Maestro Mini.

Their spokesperson refused to disclose any info in this thread. It's nowhere to be found on their website or any product page of retailers.

The only information I've found is in some reviews, saying the MM is 1DD/2BAs. Nothing official, so we just have to take the word of reviewers as fact. No other specs or info can be found, like size of the DD, brand of drivers used, or if they're propietary drivers made by FF.

How is asking for basic information of products overreacting or getting egos involved? You're just a fanboy spewing BS.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #1,157 of 1,957
What you talking about? Be patient? To this day, a year and a half after its release, FF has not disclosed the driver specs or configuration of the Maestro Mini.

Their spokesperson refused to disclose any info in this thread. It's nowhere to be found on their website or any product page of retailers.

The only information I've found is in some reviews, saying the MM is 1DD/2BAs. Nothing official, so we just have to take the word of reviewers as fact. No other specs or info can be found, like size of the DD, brand of drivers used, or if they're propietary drivers made by FF.

How is asking for basic information of products overreacting or getting egos involved? You're just a fanboy spewing BS.
The driver configs for the Mini, MSE and GM are listed on the 1st page of this thread (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fat...ad-bass-cannons-and-more.964743/post-17143357).

These were directly relayed to me by Ben at FATfreq and were posted with his permission. If they want me to delete the info, they can let me know. It's been posted for over a year...

Mini: 1DD, 2BA
MSE: 1DD, 7 BA, 4 EST
GM: 1 DD, 7 BA, 4 EST

I've always assumed Scarlett is similarly 1 DD, 2BA with new hyper tweeter and updated bass shelf filter. It's a shame their marketing has invited this drama, there's nothing to be ashamed of in their IEMs.

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #1,158 of 1,957
The driver configs for the Mini, MSE and GM are listed on the 1st page of this thread (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fat...ad-bass-cannons-and-more.964743/post-17143357).

These were directly relayed to me by Ben at FATfreq and were posted with his permission. If they want me to delete the info, they can let me know. It's been posted for over a year...

Mini: 1DD, 2BA
MSE: 1DD, 7 BA, 4 EST
GM: 1 DD, 7 BA, 4 EST

I've always assumed Scarlett is similarly 1 DD, 2BA with new hyper tweeter and updated bass shelf filter. It's a shame their marketing has invited this drama, there's nothing to be ashamed of in their IEMs.
Thanks for the info, but that was from over a year ago and is buried in this thread. You had to dig it out of a FF employee, who did not make it public himself.

It's silly and shady that FF purposely hides driver info from the public and only discloses it if you bug them for it.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #1,159 of 1,957
Thanks for the info, but that was from over a year ago and is buried in this thread. You had to dig it out of a FF employee, who did not make it public himself.

It's silly and shady that FF purposely hides driver info from the public and only discloses it if you bug them for it.
Totally share your frustration. Shared info to help, not as some attempted correction or argument. As you say exactly, the info is unfortunately buried :frowning2:

Oct 11, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #1,160 of 1,957
and more akin to how cable makers market their products.
Almost all cable makers will tell you what wires they are using, such as copper, silver, palladium, gold plated copper etc. Some will even tell you more specifically the kinds of copper, silver they use, such as OFC or OCC. Or the AWG (e.g. 24AWG) , purity of cables (e.g. 6N) they use.

And they will certainly tell you how many wires they use.

At least this way with the details of the driver counts etc, you will know if they changed the drivers secretly. Otherwise they could one day, say change the DD of Mini Maestro to a BA in order to push the Scarlet Mini. Or reducing the number of drivers to save cost. As long as it sounds close enough, a lot of customers won't be able to notice the difference, especially if they don't have an older revision as a reference point.

I'm sure you won't be happy if your 8-wire Gold plated silver cable purchase was secretly changed to 4-wire copper cable at the same price. Same logic applies here.

Oct 11, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #1,161 of 1,957
Well, yes, more transparency would be good, but there's a difference here with cables makers I'd say in that you can actually get graphs that show objectively what you can get from the sound. Not that FR is the be all end all, but I just placed a pre-order on it because there's no other IEM that seems capable of providing what it can provide. But yes, better transparency is always better. ✌️

Oct 11, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #1,162 of 1,957
Welcome to the Head Fi home for all things FATfreq, please feel free to share your impressions, questions etc regarding this up and coming Singaporean IEM brand.

familypic.jpg

Starting with the trojan bass horse, the Maestro Mini:

https://www.fatfreq.com/maestro-mini
Price: $426 USD

logo.jpg

Fatfreq is a small Singaporean brand I had never heard of until about a week ago. Watching some of Crinacle's youtube backlog videos, their newly released Maestro Mini caught my eye.

The Maestro Mini is a low cost 'preview' delivering some of the experience of the pending Maestro proper. It's a humble 1 DD / 2 BA hybrid, with the DD driver employed with a very impressive low pass filter. It's available for order directly from Fatfreq's website for ~$430 USD (S$599).

And oh boy... does it kick.

maestromini_FR.png

Just LOOK at that bass response, and all pushed sub 200 Hz.

It took about 5 days total for them to get to me stateside using Fatfreq's free shipping. The bass response is an incredible indulgence. Just epic. For electronic music, this is really an experience you owe yourself.

Maestro.jpg

I see there's a trickle of discussion around these in various threads but neither Fatfreq or the Maestro have any proper home. Let's fix that.

I'll post impression as I get some more ear time with them (just came in yesterday evening). Other owners or folks who have experienced them (or other Fatfreq models) please chime in with your impressions too!

Crinacle vid (Maestro mini @ 27 minute mark):

Precogvision review: https://headphones.com/community/reviews-learning-and-news/fatfreq-maestro-mini-review

Gizaudio: 'If you're a basshead, this is one you need to consider.'
(starts at ~10 min)

HBB: 'Hardest Hitters in the Hobby'

Has anyone tried the Scarlet Mini already and can say what is better? I consider both at the moment, but don´t want to get the Maestro Minis just to crave that 10 extra db of bass afterwards

Oct 12, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #1,164 of 1,957
My Scarlet mini DHL delivery is scheduled four days from now. It has begun!
Good to hear that!
1697099061488.png

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #1,165 of 1,957
My Scarlet mini DHL delivery is scheduled four days from now. It has begun!
If yours is shipped and was within 30-40 orders of mine, maybe I'll get lucky too. Crosses fingers

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #1,170 of 1,957
I asked FatFreq about delivery timing yesterday and here's what they told me:
"The shipment of Scarlet Mini will start next week, and this is for pre-order in July, August and early September. For pre-orders placed between mid to end September please expect shipment around the end of October and November."

I unfortunately have to wait until end of Oct/Nov :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back