FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Oct 9, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #1,141 of 1,958
It is kinda presumptuous that we should just plunk down $$$$$ and not worry that there is Bellsing BA in there. Regardless of the tuning that FF seems to be able to pull off. Some of us have listened to enough DD to know that I like Beryllium for instince and I know I prefer Sonion BA for Mids but Knowles BA for highs. It kinda gives me a idea or at least a generalization of what to expect. The people who are going to be buying a FATfreq are not going to be rookies to the hobbie so please FF don't treat us as such!

We never said anything about treating you guys as rookies. Please don’t reframe our choices to not share driver counts and other information as such.

It is simply our personal choice to not share them. We will let you all choose from a community driven perspective if it’s the right IEM for you or not.

Oct 9, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #1,142 of 1,958
That's why im not gonna purchase any of the fatfreq iems. They ask a ton of Money and don't release neither the specs. It Is Just absurd and unbelievable.
It's why I've held off on buying a FatFreq IEM, even though I've been wanting to get a Maestro Mini and Maestro SE this year.

Finally gave in to the hype of Scarlet Mini and because HBB gave it a very positive review.

FF is asking a very premium price for their IEMs but won't disclose info and specs of their IEMs. No transparency on products and poor after sales customer service is something FF really needs to work on.

Oct 9, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #1,143 of 1,958
poor after sales customer service is something FF really needs to work on
Mind expanding on that? I haven't seen anything about their customer service yet, positive or negative.

Oct 9, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #1,144 of 1,958
Just ordered a Scarlet Mini for myself since shipping starts in November, so I thought I could treat myself for my birthday🎊🎊. Pretty excited to see how the Scarlet measures up to my Maestro Mini!

Has anyone tried the Scarlet Mini in person during its launch at Canjam Socal? I want to get some impressions so I can expect what kind of experience I'll be getting with the Scarlet.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #1,145 of 1,958
In our opinion, it's not necessary for users to know exact specifics. We want people to be focusing on the sound, not the driver type.

As such, I would encourage you all to take any driver configurations you see on the web as a grain of salt.

Thanks for understanding!
Those of us who are unable to travel to Singapore or an audio convention to demo FatFreq's earphones don't have the luxury of "focusing on the sound".
Of course we can take others' descriptions of the sound into account, but that's always going to be subjective and difficult to quantify (case in point: HBB ranks MSE's technical performance at 8/10 — his 2nd highest rating — while Crinacle only rates it B+). Knowing the details about exactly what it is we're buying goes a long way towards convincing us to blind-buy something with such a high price.

Oct 10, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #1,146 of 1,958
Just ordered a Scarlet Mini for myself since shipping starts in November, so I thought I could treat myself for my birthday🎊🎊. Pretty excited to see how the Scarlet measures up to my Maestro Mini!

Has anyone tried the Scarlet Mini in person during its launch at Canjam Socal? I want to get some impressions so I can expect what kind of experience I'll be getting with the Scarlet.
I heard the CanJam Socal tuning of the SM when I visited FF HQ in Singapore. It is a great tuning and one I much preferred over the previous tuning. The tuning is fun with elevated bass which is clear without bloom (at least to my ears). I really enjoyed the SM and I hope you do too!

Oct 10, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #1,147 of 1,958
It is kinda presumptuous that we should just plunk down $$$$$ and not worry that there is Bellsing BA in there. Regardless of the tuning that FF seems to be able to pull off. Some of us have listened to enough DD to know that I like Beryllium for instince and I know I prefer Sonion BA for Mids but Knowles BA for highs. It kinda gives me a idea or at least a generalization of what to expect. The people who are going to be buying a FATfreq are not going to be rookies to the hobbie so please FF don't treat us as such!
Just don't buy them???

Oct 10, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #1,148 of 1,958
Guys when your scarlet will arrive? (the first pre orders)
Cannot wait for your impressions :)

Oct 10, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #1,149 of 1,958
I'm hoping to receive mine within the next week or so. I will post lots of pictures and my impressions as an avid edm listener, an eccentric bass/festival junkie, and someone that's been on a quest for 'dat audiophile bass' for the last two years... As soon as mine arrive. I will be powering it with both Burson 3x soloist desktop amp/bifrost 2 DAC and also Qudelix 5k portable to really see what it's capable of revealing and its power demands. I'll give a comparison to Audeze LCD-3 with oratory tuning + bass dial-in, as well as Philips Fidelio x2, th-900 and ZMF Atticus, all well-regarded bass proficient over-ears. The only earbuds I've been using lately are the Bose QC ii TWS buds which are pretty decent in the bass department so I'll throw in a comparison there too. The last set of audiophile V-shaped buds I had were Japanese Victor JVC wooden single dynamic driver buds, those things had massive bass and great clarity until they went through the wash at least! So I'll try to give a comparison to those as well from what i can remember. Exciting times.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #1,152 of 1,958
I heard the CanJam Socal tuning of the SM when I visited FF HQ in Singapore. It is a great tuning and one I much preferred over the previous tuning. The tuning is fun with elevated bass which is clear without bloom (at least to my ears). I really enjoyed the SM and I hope you do too!
Thanks for the impressions, now I'm even more excited to receive my Scarlet Minis! 👍

Oct 11, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #1,153 of 1,958
My 0.02: I get the obsession with driver count, driver type, design specs etc. This is primarily a gear hobby after all.

But I quite like FF's approach here, it's different - at least in IEM terms - and more akin to how cable makers market their products. That's not to everyone's taste, of course, but by switching the focus to tuning, performance and aesthetics, the IEMs become less about what's inside and more about how they perform with your chosen music.

It's an almost anti-gearhead approach that will inevitably rub gearheads up the wrong way, but to me is commendable at a time when every IEM seems to be judged more on its componentry and less on how it actually sounds.

Oct 11, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #1,154 of 1,958
It's why I've held off on buying a FatFreq IEM, even though I've been wanting to get a Maestro Mini and Maestro SE this year.

Finally gave in to the hype of Scarlet Mini and because HBB gave it a very positive review.

FF is asking a very premium price for their IEMs but won't disclose info and specs of their IEMs. No transparency on products and poor after sales customer service is something FF really needs to work on.
Ya'll are overreacting and getting your egos involved. Just be patient.
Driver count will eventually be known and full specs.

Matter of fact I can predict Scarlet Mini driver count and specs will be close to Maestro mini just different tuning (More bass + treble clarity) that we current users of Maestro Mini requested.

I'm personally waiting for various reviews before finally pulling the trigger.

Oct 11, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #1,155 of 1,958
But I quite like FF's approach here, it's different - at least in IEM terms - and more akin to how cable makers market their products. That's not to everyone's taste, of course, but by switching the focus to tuning, performance and aesthetics, the IEMs become less about what's inside and more about how they perform with your chosen music.
The bolded comparison is so on point, unfortunately :frowning2:

For cable makers, keeping their customers in the dark happens to come hand in hand with enormous margins. Those guys are absolutely loaded, and it is most certainly not due to volume. I think the consumer concern here should be clear.

To my mind, fostering consumer ignorance is never a good thing. Make the technology part of the product story (Singularity is a perfect example, Beyerdynamic even take it to the company level) - have confidence in your tuning and stand by its implementation. Hiding things like this only invites suspicion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back