FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Sep 14, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #1,051 of 2,059
After following your recommendations, I purchased both Spinfit W1 and Tangzu tips. Both of them are excellent, and I would even go as far as to say they are the best in my collection. They both enhance the soundstage and clear up the mids. However, I noticed that Tangzu tips pair better with Maestro's silver upgrade cable, as they add more punch in the mid-bass. On the other hand, Spinfits work better with EA Eros S 1st-anniversary ltd. version (which has elevated bass compared to the original) because they tighten up the elevated bass of Eros. Personally, I preferred the Spinfit-Eros S pairing more. There is still some pressure and ringing in my ears after a couple of hours of listening, but it's not as unbearable as with other grippy thick silicone tips. The sound through the balanced Hiby + Tidal FLAC with this tips-cable pairing is fantastic. The bass is indeed very deep and thunderous. Superb. I wish MSE had the sweet mids and wider soundstage of the Monarch MKII, but I suppose that's not possible with such amount of bass. Thank y'all for tips (pun intended).

Sep 14, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #1,052 of 2,059
It has even more bass from early impressions I've read. treble seems to suffer a little from what I read due to the +30dB bass boost vs +20db on M-mini. M-Mini maybe more in line with someone (like myself) that wants a little more detail from mids and treble but we shall wait for the final product + more reviews to compare both.
Thanks! They use the new BA / hypertweeter on the Scarlet Mini that supposedly improves the treble, and with 30+dB bass boost, its marketed for EDM and all. Any chance you would know if the bass boost is in the mid or sub-bass? Or same region as the Maestro Mini, but add 10dB? I'm really intrigued esp since they have free promo going on: free upgrade cable and the fatbox

Sep 15, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #1,053 of 2,059
After following your recommendations, I purchased both Spinfit W1 and Tangzu tips. Both of them are excellent, and I would even go as far as to say they are the best in my collection. They both enhance the soundstage and clear up the mids. However, I noticed that Tangzu tips pair better with Maestro's silver upgrade cable, as they add more punch in the mid-bass. On the other hand, Spinfits work better with EA Eros S 1st-anniversary ltd. version (which has elevated bass compared to the original) because they tighten up the elevated bass of Eros. Personally, I preferred the Spinfit-Eros S pairing more. There is still some pressure and ringing in my ears after a couple of hours of listening, but it's not as unbearable as with other grippy thick silicone tips. The sound through the balanced Hiby + Tidal FLAC with this tips-cable pairing is fantastic. The bass is indeed very deep and thunderous. Superb. I wish MSE had the sweet mids and wider soundstage of the Monarch MKII, but I suppose that's not possible with such amount of bass. Thank y'all for tips (pun intended).
Change the stock cable ASAP. It is really harming the sound. You will be impreased you you will choose for examle Venom or code23. I am an owner of Venom nd it is a real game changer

Sep 15, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #1,054 of 2,059
Change the stock cable ASAP. It is really harming the sound. You will be impreased you you will choose for examle Venom or code23. I am an owner of Venom nd it is a real game changer
I had Code23 cable, but it broke after six months of light usage. I've sent it to EA for repair. I also have the Eros S cable from Effect Audio. It's not as good as the Code23, but it's better than the stock cable.

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #1,055 of 2,059
Thanks! They use the new BA / hyper tweeter on the Scarlet Mini that supposedly improves the treble, and with 30+dB bass boost, its marketed for EDM and all. Any chance you would know if the bass boost is in the mid or sub-bass? Or same region as the Maestro Mini, but add 10dB? I'm really intrigued esp since they have free promo going on: free upgrade cable and the fatbox
Bass Boost is in the sub-bass region for even more rumble vs the Maestro Mini

Sep 16, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #1,056 of 2,059
I think the start of the bass boost curve is also slightly more in towards mid-bass as a result. If it was purely increased in sub-bass, then the scarlet would have noticeably less mid-bass because of the presence of such sub-bass boost right next to it. I think the scarlet will have a lot more sub-bass, and a decent amount more mid-bass, then the maestro mini.

Sep 19, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #1,058 of 2,059
Alright, had the chance to try the Mini, Maestro Se and then the grand maestro.
The mini is compact and provides a deep rumbly bass. A good IEM for that price and one that I could recommend for those on a budget. If you go for the next model up, the maestro se, same as the mini with an even bigger sound stage and more detail. yes the SE is a bigger size IEM just like the grande. With the grand maestro, oval switch down, that sounded like the maestro se. I preferred the blue module over the black as had deeper bass. With vocal switch on, the vocals was more upfront and closer to you. My preference would be blue module and switch on. If I wanted to make a slightly sound change, then vocal to off. Which gives me another sound experience when needed. Overall this IEM allowed you to change your preferences.

One thing mentioned over the demo version and the universal version being sold in the shops. They have tried to make the universal one smaller. Not sure if this will affect sound changes based on a comment I read 2 pages before this one.

With the universal model, it actually hurt my ear after half an hour. This is my first time experiencing this as have many IEM. Tried changing the tips and that did not solve the issue. Yes the IEM do require power as to drive them. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #1,059 of 2,059
This might be the better thread for it - has anyone heard from FatFreq on when the Scarlet Minis will ship? All their website says is late Sept and forums have been kinda quiet about this release for a couple of months now.

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #1,061 of 2,059
This might be the better thread for it - has anyone heard from FatFreq on when the Scarlet Minis will ship? All their website says is late Sept and forums have been kinda quiet about this release for a couple of months now.
They're probably finetuning the sound some more after early Impressions and feedback from all the audio shows.

Meanwhile, I think I found the best tips for Maestro-Mini. Acoustune AET08. Gives you that visceral bass, mids and treble are also the best with these tips + a Copper 4.4 Cable. I'm on DX240 + AMP8MKIIS (Special Edition)

Acoustune AET08 link https://www.mtmtaudio.com/products/acoustune-aet08-eartip-3-pairs

Sep 24, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #1,063 of 2,059
Hi all, for anyone who has been interesting in the custom process but haven't been able to find much information about it, I thought I'd share my experience on this journey with Fatfreq

Hope you enjoy the video and do let me know if you have any queries! Happy listening!

Wow those customs look gorgeous.

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #1,064 of 2,059
FatFreq told me this about the Scarlet Mini:

1695618559419.png

1695643799380.png

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #1,065 of 2,059
I'm not really the target audience for Fatfreq with their namesake and lush tuning. That being said I found that the reference pro and tsuru to be very suitable to my tastes.

Interestingly the reference pro SE I found way too smooth for my tastes. That lush vocal tuning looses alot of the vocal detail and texture.

Grand Mestresto I found to have just the worst sandpaper air/upper treble. While they wouldn't say what was used for the treble I would guess it's unfiltered est drivers like the first gen est chifi that gives that characteristic sound or lack of sustained sound.

Overall it was a fun trip there and personally I'm quite temped to get the tsuru due to it matching the genres I listen to alot being power metal, J core and accoustic pop vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back