FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
May 17, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #721 of 2,017
Our PSA surrounding the Grand Maestro modules:

The Grand Maestro ships with the default black ‘power’ modules. The blue ‘control’ modules could be purchased as an add-on for 130SGD to give more bass control. Right now, Blue modules are not yet officially launched. Those who have it either bought them via email enquiry or are our early adopters which we send them separately as a gift. Hope that clarifies!
Love to get the blue. However, not sure how I can get it at this moment.

May 17, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #722 of 2,017
I've had a couple days of quality time with the Minis to take them in more, and a chance to A/B them a bit with some of my existing iems.

They come with a whole page of silly stickers, very quirky and fun, also visible is the 'fatbox' case that they ship in, quite sturdy.
stickers_case.jpg

Inside in addition to the quite pretty IEMs, there is a desiccant mount/cable management system that works quite well and I could imagine would be particularly nice more humid climates. They're not visible, but in addition to the cleaning tool, they also throw in a free pair of filtered ear plugs, very cool.

contents.jpg

The sound... wow these sure leave an impression.

The acoustic chamber / lowpass employed here creates a 20+ dB boost of bass sub 200 Hz, it really is the closes thing to a subwoofer I've experienced in either IEMs or headphones.

I was a bit worried about some of the extra treble energy in the measurements, but as is often the case things sound totally different than they look. The extra airy boost goes a long way in keeping the music coherent, sweet and engaging despite the elephants at the low end - a very impressive feat given the amplitude here!

I've had a lot of trouble pulling myself away from electronic music on these, but I can say that some heavy metal is also deeply satisfying. When there's not much sub content in the music, the left over tuning is competent but not at a level of engagement that the whole package brings. I have also been listening heavily to my Monarch 2s, and while I'd obviously give the low end nod to the Maestros, the tuning elsewhere I'd give to the tribrids so far.

Interestingly, there's no mesh/filter on the nozzle, just this impressive looking insert:

insert.jpg

No idea if it will affect longevity, but it might be evidence of some of the acoustic guide technology Fatfreq is fielding here? I haven't popped the filters up in many of my IEMs (at least on purpose lol), so no idea how typical something like this is...

[Edit] It has been confirmed that current version of Maestro Mini ships with a filter for protection, so no more worries there!

May 17, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #723 of 2,017

The Grand Maestro ships with the default black ‘power’ modules. The blue ‘control’ modules could be purchased as an add-on for 130SGD to give more bass control. Right now, Blue modules are not yet officially launched. Those who have it either bought them via email enquiry or are our early adopters which we send them separately as a gift. Hope that clarifies!
How about the fit !?

May 17, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #724 of 2,017
Anyone knows what brand these tips are? They came with the MSE that I got recently but they are too small for me. I've been using the the final E tips and they sound great however the diameter of the bore of the E tips are smaller than the diameter of the IEMs. Anyone has any recommendation for tips like the E tips?

I'm also surprised I didn't get the blue cylindrical colored tips.
20230516_231648.jpg

May 17, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #725 of 2,017

Thanks Sebastien! Everyone involved at FatFreq has been a pleasure to work with from my perspective. Hopefully these modules become more readily available. Can't wait to hear more about the other modules planned to be released in the future.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #726 of 2,017
Anyone knows what brand these tips are? They came with the MSE that I got recently but they are too small for me. I've been using the the final E tips and they sound great however the diameter of the bore of the E tips are smaller than the diameter of the IEMs. Anyone has any recommendation for tips like the E tips?

20230516_231648.jpg
Looks like SednaEarFit Max Standard Tips
https://www.azla.co.kr/product/maxstandard/

May 17, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #727 of 2,017
May 17, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #728 of 2,017
Thank you! I hope getting a bigger size will help with the seal. But I've never had good experience with alza. Their tips for me just kill the bass😅
Size matters for Alza. I had M for crystal and everything goes off for my GM.
Once I change to MS all came back!
Interestingly it has better highs..

May 17, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #729 of 2,017
The Scarlet Mini has undergone a few more iterations since that last public graph. I can't exactly speak on the changes other than the fact that it will be worth the wait.
Then fingers crossed and waiting for some reviews, i hope they have some extra sub bass because i really like MM but SE or grand are definetly not my pirce point :D
plus i need that damn filter for wax.

I like MM blue color but scarlet red desing are also nice :)

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #730 of 2,017
Size matters for Alza. I had M for crystal and everything goes off for my GM.
Once I change to MS all came back!
Interestingly it has better highs..
I think this have something to do with how our ear shape affect the sound. The closer to the eardrum it might sound better.

May 17, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #731 of 2,017
Grand Maestro owners:

Can you please populate this thread with your past feedback and updated impressions over the past few weeks?

We are looking to move Grand Maestro discussion to this thread so this thread can focused on the Mini, Scarlet Mini, and general brand info.

Thank you!

May 17, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #732 of 2,017
I wish... still waiting on my custom Grand Maestro.

May 17, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #733 of 2,017

Thanks! Hope you can eventually.

How about the fit !?

For what?

20230516_231648.jpg

@Madsumm is correct, they are those tips.

Thanks Sebastien! Everyone involved at FatFreq has been a pleasure to work with from my perspective. Hopefully these modules become more readily available. Can't wait to hear more about the other modules planned to be released in the future.

Appreciated! We are excited to share more soon.

Thank you! I hope getting a bigger size will help with the seal. But I've never had good experience with alza. Their tips for me just kill the bass😅

Thanks for the feedback! What tips have you found work best for you so far?

May 17, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #734 of 2,017
Grand Maestro owners:

Can you please populate this thread with your past feedback and updated impressions over the past few weeks?

We are looking to move Grand Maestro discussion to this thread so this thread can focused on the Mini, Scarlet Mini, and general brand info.

Thank you!

What is the purpose of having so many separate threads just for individual IEM models? I feel it splits up the discussion and those threads are less active. Just my 2c. It’s not like you see 64 audio or EE doing separate threads per IEM ?

May 17, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #735 of 2,017
What is the purpose of having so many separate threads just for individual IEM models? I feel it splits up the discussion and those threads are less active. Just my 2c. It’s not like you see 64 audio or EE doing separate threads per IEM ?
Agree. I think its better having a single thread for a brand instead of individual threads for each model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back