FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Apr 7, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #571 of 1,956
Is that the stock cable, or did you get an aftermarket cable to run with it?
Love the shade of it. Tempted to ask them if I can get one of those instead of the cable that comes stock with Grand Maestro...
No its not stock cable, I requested if they can provide another cable, so graciously they provided me this purple cable.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #572 of 1,956
Keep us in the loop please!

Yes, it's a cool spot! We got to explore the area during CanJam when the team took us around during CanJam.

Thanks for keeping us in mind for your first CIEM!

Thanks so much guys!

Thanks! We are aware and will be making decisions accordingly.

We are quite happy where the Maestro Mini is at now. The Scarlet Mini will available soon-ish for those who want a different flavor.

Thanks so much! Words we don't take lightly.

It's a nice contrast to the XE6. I think the Radon would be a more apt comparison if you're looking for complimentary, whereas the XE6 is different.

What kind of sound are you looking for? Does warranty and post product support matter to you?

I think you can. Just let us know when you're making your purchase.
Whichever has better technical performance.

Apr 8, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #573 of 1,956
I've been looking at buying the MM, my first pair of IEMs. I listen to mostly DnB so they seem like the perfect pair. I haven't been able to find much info on the Scarlet Mini (presuming these are the 'MM v2') other than them being a 'different flavour'. Is there any other info? Trying to decide if I should get the MM now or wait and see what the Scarlet Mini is like

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #574 of 1,956
I've been looking at buying the MM, my first pair of IEMs. I listen to mostly DnB so they seem like the perfect pair. I haven't been able to find much info on the Scarlet Mini (presuming these are the 'MM v2') other than them being a 'different flavour'. Is there any other info? Trying to decide if I should get the MM now or wait and see what the Scarlet Mini is like
Scarlet mini has more treble presence along with an increased bass shelf. Listening to them at Canjam, I wasn't a fan of the increased treble. I prefer warmer signatures in general and have really good hearing for high pitched noises so the increased treble I found to be too much for me in particular. You may find it different

Apr 9, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #575 of 1,956
Scarlet mini has more treble presence along with an increased bass shelf. Listening to them at Canjam, I wasn't a fan of the increased treble. I prefer warmer signatures in general and have really good hearing for high pitched noises so the increased treble I found to be too much for me in particular. You may find it different
Im using that settings on EQ for maestro mini for my basshead taste, so scarlet mini would fit my taste even more? :D
Can u try define what treeble range is boosted on scarlet? tbh i love sound signature of stage speakers XD

https://streamable.com/dkeusm this was unreal experience1,5 year ago

the track form vid

Attachments

• yolo bass.jpg
    yolo bass.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #577 of 1,956
Have anyone heard both the Symphonium Meteor & Maestro Mini? Curious how it compares

If I find the Meteor lacking in Bass for my taste, Would the Maestro Mini be an upgrade?
I tried both of them. Meteor has ample bass for an all BA set, but the punch of Maestro Mini's bass is just a different league altogether. If your concern is just bass, Maestro Mini is clearly superior.

Apr 16, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #578 of 1,956
I tried both of them. Meteor has ample bass for an all BA set, but the punch of Maestro Mini's bass is just a different league altogether. If your concern is just bass, Maestro Mini is clearly superior.

awesome, What's your opinion on the Vocal performance to each other.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #579 of 1,956
Quite similar to be honest... Maybe Meteor is slightly better to my ear due to the tamer tuning between the two.

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #580 of 1,956
I find both of them to be lacking in both vocal quantity and quality; female vocals sound too "tame" and lacking power/body, and male vocals sound too "chesty" and almost bloated.

If I had to pick my poison, I'd go with what inscythe's choice as well: Meteor.

Fatfreq's Maestro series has its house sound, up till GM, where (with vocal switch on) it has more vocal presence.

Apr 16, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #581 of 1,956
Maestro Mini are in the house.
Also are the Symphonium Meteor.

Here's my quick take on both.

Common to both the sets - the big bassy sound! I come from the sounds of TH909 and HEKV2, my usual headphones and these are my first IEMs. To be frank, I wasn't expecting this scale of sound from such small pieces of transducers. Wow! And another thing, I did not have to do my usual basic EQing - add a bass shelf, to either of these. Both the sets heard over BTR 7 and D1SE + Soloist with Supercharge and with Final Audio Type E eartips.

BASS - Both are bassy sets with a different tastes profile. MM are more sub bass focused and really shine when the sound has some good low fs. These do have the mid bass punch and bass overall is rumbly deep somewhat tight, good enough quantity and quality is okayish and could be better (still better than average, kind of good level.)

SM are more mid bass focused (reminded me of the Campfire Audio Cascades when I had them). These do have low end rumble but shine in mid bass thump and punch. Overall bass is kind of same quantity as MM but a smidge better in quality. The bass sounds a bit more smooth and tight here. But again, could be better (still better than average, kind of good level.)

MIDS - None do it better. But the SM sounds more smooth and with a bit more body to the vocals. Vocals on MM sound a bit grainy and rough. But in general, both are greatly tuned for a fun sound signature and if you want these sets to just enjoy music, both serve well. I listened to both the sets for hours at a stretch and not once did I bother to care for the vocals or something missing in the mids. Isnt that what a fun sound signature is meant to be in the first place!

TREBLE - Again, none does it better, dont expect rich detailed airy top end with either of these. When I first listened to both the sets, I missed the crisp rich detailed sparkly top end that I usually listen to but after a few songs I realized that these are not meant to sound like that. And with this thing brain burned in, I enjoyed them both. But I preferred the top end of the MM to be better to my ears. SM top end is polite and gentle and sounds as if throttled and with the mid bass boost, the sound signature tends to be warm and borderline dark. MM top end has a little sparkle and touch of crispiness and a little air to it and with the bass being more in the sub bass region, the overall sound is a more balanced U shape.

TONE and TIMBRE - In short, the SM have a better and a more ejoyable T n T than the MM but not bad on the MM either.

SOUNDSTAGE and IMAGING - This is where "I" found the biggest difference of sound of both. SM though sound big but the sound is focused in your head, like you know you have IEMs and that is what is sounding. The soundstage isnt big or better put, doesnt get out of head. It all sounds cohesive and like one bubble.
Its smooth, warm, loud, mid bassy but there is not much differentiation between the elements. The mid bass kind of blends into the mids and treble is reigned in, so one sphere of sound.

MM on the other hand, while sounding big, loud, subwoofer bassy also take the sound out of head. There is noticeable depth and with good stereo separation and this makes the imaging much better. There is actual soundstage, holographic, with elements of music happening all around the head. Wasnt expecting this, so was wowed when I heard my regular songs on MM and felt kind of same when I listen to the songs on my usual sets (of course its not to the level of full size driver 909 or the fanatstic levels of HEKV2 but atleast it does not sound in head!). The sub bass and bass is very well controlled in and though sounds a part of the music but is very distinct and does not blend with the mids. The mids as good as they are, are enjoyable and there is a distinct and decent top end, so in all, not a bubble or a sphere of sound.

And this for me is the deciding factor which is also supplemented with the fact that I am more of a sub bass lover than the mid bass. Both SM and MM are great bass lovers IEMs, but the winner for my listening tastes is Maestro mini.

MM is a keeper for me and Symphonium Meteors are gonna go to a new listener.

Very happy with the MM and I am gonna rock these for pretty good time now (I expect to and seriously hope I dont get the itch to scale up to top tier to get that richness and sparkle that I am missing with the bass...Lol... :D ).

But credit where due, fantastic job FatFreq guys. You have a new fan!

Time to shove the mini's deep into ears and hit play :)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #582 of 1,956
not once did I bother to care for the vocals or something missing in the mids.
i find that the grainy-ness of the mids (and perceived lack of clarity) doesn't really help with the overall enjoyment factor

Those who; like me are interested in a iem that has better midrange, and cleaner bass reproduction should look forward to Scarlett Mini. If the CJ prototype was anything to go off of, at least.

Apr 16, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #583 of 1,956
FatFeq Maestro Mini runs out of my OTL amp without noise :)

Apr 17, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #584 of 1,956
i find that the grainy-ness of the mids (and perceived lack of clarity) doesn't really help with the overall enjoyment factor

Those who; like me are interested in a iem that has better midrange, and cleaner bass reproduction should look forward to Scarlett Mini. If the CJ prototype was anything to go off of, at least.

Each to his own and as subjective as this hobby/our listening tastes and personal preferences are, I wouldnt say the things I find missing in these IEMs spoil the musical enjoyment for me.

Frankly buddy, the performance I am getting for the money spent, beats any criticism that I might make for these IEMs. For my ears, these are simple clean plug in and enjoy kind of no nonsense fun IEMs and for my first IEMs I am pretty impressed and could not be more happier.

Picture this, I started this hobby about an year back and it took me scores of headphones and dozens of DAC AMP combos to come to the sets I currently own. Not to belittle the time and money spent in this endeavor.

So getting the sound I am looking for with my first set is kinda nothing less than a jackpot! And grainy vocals or less resolution or anything else is a nit picking for me.
If I want better vocals or better details/resolution or a better soundstage, I have full size transducers to put on any day and can now even use these IEMs as a step into the IEM world and move up the ladder if I feel like.

But for about $500 or may be even under a grand, if anyone is looking for a fun IEM, these get a big shout from me. Someone rightly mentioned in this thread that these are criminally underpriced! :)

Apr 17, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #585 of 1,956
Each to his own and as subjective as this hobby/our listening tastes and personal preferences are, I wouldnt say the things I find missing in these IEMs spoil the musical enjoyment for me.

Frankly buddy, the performance I am getting for the money spent, beats any criticism that I might make for these IEMs. For my ears, these are simple clean plug in and enjoy kind of no nonsense fun IEMs and for my first IEMs I am pretty impressed and could not be more happier.

Picture this, I started this hobby about an year back and it took me scores of headphones and dozens of DAC AMP combos to come to the sets I currently own. Not to belittle the time and money spent in this endeavor.

So getting the sound I am looking for with my first set is kinda nothing less than a jackpot! And grainy vocals or less resolution or anything else is a nit picking for me.
If I want better vocals or better details/resolution or a better soundstage, I have full size transducers to put on any day and can now even use these IEMs as a step into the IEM world and move up the ladder if I feel like.

But for about $500 or may be even under a grand, if anyone is looking for a fun IEM, these get a big shout from me. Someone rightly mentioned in this thread that these are criminally underpriced! :)
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying you should try the Scarlett Mini :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back