FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Apr 17, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #586 of 1,994
I hear you buddy!

And another truth is, that there is no right or wrong in this "highly" subjective hobby.

For instance, no offence please, we have Grado die hard fans! (pertinent here because we are talking about bassy sets)

And for the same reason, I have stopped trusting any user reviews or FQ graphs but I do fall upon these for entertainment purposes and to get a general idea. But at the end I rely on my own ears to see if I like the sound or not.

So thanks and cheers to you for suggesting a new unit to try. And given I liked the MM sound it would be nice to hear what other iterations of the FF house sound, sound like. :)

Apr 18, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #587 of 1,994
Any news on scarlet mini? :jecklinsmile:
How the final tuning is going?

Apr 18, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #588 of 1,994
Sent out my impressions for my custom Grand Maestro today... fingers crossed.

Apr 18, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #590 of 1,994
Nice! Hoping for mine to ship here soon.
I can't wait to hear your impressions of the CIEM GM and comparisons with the Maestro SE.

Apr 19, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #591 of 1,994
Got a heads up from Ben that my blue module will prob be ready by the end of the week. They even provided it for free as it is part of the Grand Maestro experience, always great when companies treat early adopters well :)

Treated myself to the shiny new gold upgrade cable, looking forward to getting my freq on. I'll share comparisons with the stock copper/silver beast when it gets in.

Apr 22, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #592 of 1,994
🥰 my set!

Attachments

• IMG_8631.jpeg
    IMG_8631.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #597 of 1,994
Absolutely 💯 - I had the SE for a short time too, my ears were just a little small for them but loved the sound. My buddy just got the Grand, so will see how high on cloud 9 he lands. :)
And dont be suprised by sound, they will change for better after burn in. They can lack mid bass at start.

Apr 22, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #598 of 1,994
Maestro Mini are in the house.
Also are the Symphonium Meteor.

Here's my quick take on both.

Common to both the sets - the big bassy sound! I come from the sounds of TH909 and HEKV2, my usual headphones and these are my first IEMs. To be frank, I wasn't expecting this scale of sound from such small pieces of transducers. Wow! And another thing, I did not have to do my usual basic EQing - add a bass shelf, to either of these. Both the sets heard over BTR 7 and D1SE + Soloist with Supercharge and with Final Audio Type E eartips.

BASS - Both are bassy sets with a different tastes profile. MM are more sub bass focused and really shine when the sound has some good low fs. These do have the mid bass punch and bass overall is rumbly deep somewhat tight, good enough quantity and quality is okayish and could be better (still better than average, kind of good level.)

SM are more mid bass focused (reminded me of the Campfire Audio Cascades when I had them). These do have low end rumble but shine in mid bass thump and punch. Overall bass is kind of same quantity as MM but a smidge better in quality. The bass sounds a bit more smooth and tight here. But again, could be better (still better than average, kind of good level.)

MIDS - None do it better. But the SM sounds more smooth and with a bit more body to the vocals. Vocals on MM sound a bit grainy and rough. But in general, both are greatly tuned for a fun sound signature and if you want these sets to just enjoy music, both serve well. I listened to both the sets for hours at a stretch and not once did I bother to care for the vocals or something missing in the mids. Isnt that what a fun sound signature is meant to be in the first place!

TREBLE - Again, none does it better, dont expect rich detailed airy top end with either of these. When I first listened to both the sets, I missed the crisp rich detailed sparkly top end that I usually listen to but after a few songs I realized that these are not meant to sound like that. And with this thing brain burned in, I enjoyed them both. But I preferred the top end of the MM to be better to my ears. SM top end is polite and gentle and sounds as if throttled and with the mid bass boost, the sound signature tends to be warm and borderline dark. MM top end has a little sparkle and touch of crispiness and a little air to it and with the bass being more in the sub bass region, the overall sound is a more balanced U shape.

TONE and TIMBRE - In short, the SM have a better and a more ejoyable T n T than the MM but not bad on the MM either.

SOUNDSTAGE and IMAGING - This is where "I" found the biggest difference of sound of both. SM though sound big but the sound is focused in your head, like you know you have IEMs and that is what is sounding. The soundstage isnt big or better put, doesnt get out of head. It all sounds cohesive and like one bubble.
Its smooth, warm, loud, mid bassy but there is not much differentiation between the elements. The mid bass kind of blends into the mids and treble is reigned in, so one sphere of sound.

MM on the other hand, while sounding big, loud, subwoofer bassy also take the sound out of head. There is noticeable depth and with good stereo separation and this makes the imaging much better. There is actual soundstage, holographic, with elements of music happening all around the head. Wasnt expecting this, so was wowed when I heard my regular songs on MM and felt kind of same when I listen to the songs on my usual sets (of course its not to the level of full size driver 909 or the fanatstic levels of HEKV2 but atleast it does not sound in head!). The sub bass and bass is very well controlled in and though sounds a part of the music but is very distinct and does not blend with the mids. The mids as good as they are, are enjoyable and there is a distinct and decent top end, so in all, not a bubble or a sphere of sound.

And this for me is the deciding factor which is also supplemented with the fact that I am more of a sub bass lover than the mid bass. Both SM and MM are great bass lovers IEMs, but the winner for my listening tastes is Maestro mini.

MM is a keeper for me and Symphonium Meteors are gonna go to a new listener.

Very happy with the MM and I am gonna rock these for pretty good time now (I expect to and seriously hope I dont get the itch to scale up to top tier to get that richness and sparkle that I am missing with the bass...Lol... :D ).

But credit where due, fantastic job FatFreq guys. You have a new fan!

Time to shove the mini's deep into ears and hit play :)
Each to his own and as subjective as this hobby/our listening tastes and personal preferences are, I wouldnt say the things I find missing in these IEMs spoil the musical enjoyment for me.

Frankly buddy, the performance I am getting for the money spent, beats any criticism that I might make for these IEMs. For my ears, these are simple clean plug in and enjoy kind of no nonsense fun IEMs and for my first IEMs I am pretty impressed and could not be more happier.

Picture this, I started this hobby about an year back and it took me scores of headphones and dozens of DAC AMP combos to come to the sets I currently own. Not to belittle the time and money spent in this endeavor.

So getting the sound I am looking for with my first set is kinda nothing less than a jackpot! And grainy vocals or less resolution or anything else is a nit picking for me.
If I want better vocals or better details/resolution or a better soundstage, I have full size transducers to put on any day and can now even use these IEMs as a step into the IEM world and move up the ladder if I feel like.

But for about $500 or may be even under a grand, if anyone is looking for a fun IEM, these get a big shout from me. Someone rightly mentioned in this thread that these are criminally underpriced! :)

Thanks so much for the wonderful write-up. We appreciate this. I'll share this with the team.

Nice! Hoping for mine to ship here soon.
I can't wait to hear your impressions of the CIEM GM and comparisons with the Maestro SE.
Got a heads up from Ben that my blue module will prob be ready by the end of the week. They even provided it for free as it is part of the Grand Maestro experience, always great when companies treat early adopters well :)

Treated myself to the shiny new gold upgrade cable, looking forward to getting my freq on. I'll share comparisons with the stock copper/silver beast when it gets in.
My CIEM Grand Maestro is set to deliver by Tuesday. I’m stoked.

Thank you, guys! We look forward to your feedback on all of your GMs. I won't be getting mine until later this year, but all of these early adopters color even myself impressed!

Apr 22, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #599 of 1,994
Apr 22, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #600 of 1,994
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back