FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Apr 4, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #556 of 1,943
Ben from FATfreq was briefly interview by Crinacle for his latest 'Story Time' video. Without commenting on the Warbler, I have to say Ben showed off a rapid fire knowledge of CIEM design technique and costs... very interesting stuff, wish there was more of it.

Interview at 14:53

Bummer for me... my impressions weren't done properly, so I am having them redone next week.
CIEMs truly are a pain in the arse. Hopefully, it'll be plenty worthwhile.

Sorry to hear that, particularly with the impression it is very worth it to do it right!

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #560 of 1,943
Ben from FATfreq was briefly interview by Crinacle for his\ latest 'Story Time' video. Without commenting on the Warbler, I have to say Ben showed off a rapid fire knowledge of CIEM design technique and costs... very interesting stuff, wish there was more of it.

Interview at 14:53

Sorry to hear that, particularly with the impression it is very worth it to do it right!

The place where Crin shot the video is probably the floor above Fatfreq's main shop too. I have been there before.

IMO, Crin sounded overly critical of single-BA sets. There are a few pretty decent sounding ones like the Hidition NT1 (and T1 now), Shure Aonic 3, Audiosense T180, and many more, but really the critical fact here is the price and the fact that the BA is off-the-shelves. Even accounting for man-hour cost of handcrafting the IEM, it would not be $1100.

When one day I'm getting CIEM, I would likely get it from Fatfreq. They're super cool people.

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #565 of 1,943
They sound wonderful. The company on the whole is at a tricky little plateau where they can't keep up with demand. I'm sure it's very difficult to know when you have to expand your staff but imo it's getting very close.

I have thought about this as well...

It is hard to maintain excellence and also put out a lot of IEMs, look at Elysian for example.

I actually think FatFreq is on Elysian levels....

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #566 of 1,943
Following this thread :)

First time heard FF products at Canjam SG. Grand Maestro really surprise me. Thought it would be something like Fir XE6, bass head, with dark character. Turns out GM is more natural, produce more airy feeling, with plenty of deep rumble woofer effect, but related to Vocal, bass remain tight and doesn't interrupt midrange at all. Love the Vocal Boost option, definitely the real deal.

Really need to hear this again, especially to compare against Fir Radon6 (best version of Fir for me) and my VE Phonix Ltd.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #567 of 1,943
Is this a lot better than the hifiman re2000? I saw that on sale for $350 so it seems like a good deal. I realize they’re several years old now though, does current stuff in the $500 range totally destroy the flagships from ~2015-2020?

Apr 6, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #568 of 1,943
I visited the CANJAM SG 2023 first time, so many good IEMs to listen to, while visiting booths and listening various IEMs then landed on FF booth, have heard FF recently so when listened to Maestro line up was so impressed with each of those specially Maestro SE and Mini. Ivan, Aron and Ben were so friendly. Thank you, guys.

Considering my budget and with help of little CANJAM discount, I pulled the plug on Maestro Mini in CANJAM itself. After a week FF Maestro mini was ready, could not wait for them to ship so went straight to FF office and collected beautiful and shining gem.
After listening to couple of days, what can i say, i always go in trance when I listen trance music using FF Maestro Mini, even Bollywood and regional Marathi (my mother tongue) music (flac only) sound so amazing.
I was always looking for good bass without impacting rest of sound signature, I know these are not perfect but damn they are so close.
PS: For now, I am satisfied with Maestro Mini but Maestro SE is another level so hopefully in future will get chance to buy it (if budget permits) or if any better than SE IEM from FF.

Few clicks from my side.

Now I need help from you guys for tips and cable suggestion to enhance listening experience further with my FF Maestro mini.

Attachments

• 20230404_125410.jpg
    20230404_125410.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230404_125449.jpg
    20230404_125449.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230404_125512.jpg
    20230404_125512.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230404_125857.jpg
    20230404_125857.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230404_130035.jpg
    20230404_130035.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #569 of 1,943
I visited the CANJAM SG 2023 first time, so many good IEMs to listen to, while visiting booths and listening various IEMs then landed on FF booth, have heard FF recently so when listened to Maestro line up was so impressed with each of those specially Maestro SE and Mini. Ivan, Aron and Ben were so friendly. Thank you, guys.

Considering my budget and with help of little CANJAM discount, I pulled the plug on Maestro Mini in CANJAM itself. After a week FF Maestro mini was ready, could not wait for them to ship so went straight to FF office and collected beautiful and shining gem.
After listening to couple of days, what can i say, i always go in trance when I listen trance music using FF Maestro Mini, even Bollywood and regional Marathi (my mother tongue) music (flac only) sound so amazing.
I was always looking for good bass without impacting rest of sound signature, I know these are not perfect but damn they are so close.
PS: For now, I am satisfied with Maestro Mini but Maestro SE is another level so hopefully in future will get chance to buy it (if budget permits) or if any better than SE IEM from FF.

Few clicks from my side.

Now I need help from you guys for tips and cable suggestion to enhance listening experience further with my FF Maestro mini.

Is that the stock cable, or did you get an aftermarket cable to run with it?
Love the shade of it. Tempted to ask them if I can get one of those instead of the cable that comes stock with Grand Maestro...

Apr 7, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #570 of 1,943
Bummer for me... my impressions weren't done properly, so I am having them redone next week.
CIEMs truly are a pain in the arse. Hopefully, it'll be plenty worthwhile.

Keep us in the loop please!

The place where Crin shot the video is probably the floor above Fatfreq's main shop too. I have been there before.

IMO, Crin sounded overly critical of single-BA sets. There are a few pretty decent sounding ones like the Hidition NT1 (and T1 now), Shure Aonic 3, Audiosense T180, and many more, but really the critical fact here is the price and the fact that the BA is off-the-shelves. Even accounting for man-hour cost of handcrafting the IEM, it would not be $1100.

When one day I'm getting CIEM, I would likely get it from Fatfreq. They're super cool people.

Yes, it's a cool spot! We got to explore the area during CanJam when the team took us around during CanJam.

Thanks for keeping us in mind for your first CIEM!

I really love FatFreq I think they’ll be a huge disruption in the market.

Amazing sound.
Agreed. I have the MSE and they are quite something.

Thanks so much guys!

They sound wonderful. The company on the whole is at a tricky little plateau where they can't keep up with demand. I'm sure it's very difficult to know when you have to expand your staff but imo it's getting very close.

Thanks! We are aware and will be making decisions accordingly.

We need mini mkii

We are quite happy where the Maestro Mini is at now. The Scarlet Mini will available soon-ish for those who want a different flavor.

I have thought about this as well...

It is hard to maintain excellence and also put out a lot of IEMs, look at Elysian for example.

I actually think FatFreq is on Elysian levels....

Thanks so much! Words we don't take lightly.

Following this thread :)

First time heard FF products at Canjam SG. Grand Maestro really surprise me. Thought it would be something like Fir XE6, bass head, with dark character. Turns out GM is more natural, produce more airy feeling, with plenty of deep rumble woofer effect, but related to Vocal, bass remain tight and doesn't interrupt midrange at all. Love the Vocal Boost option, definitely the real deal.

Really need to hear this again, especially to compare against Fir Radon6 (best version of Fir for me) and my VE Phonix Ltd.

It's a nice contrast to the XE6. I think the Radon would be a more apt comparison if you're looking for complimentary, whereas the XE6 is different.

Is this a lot better than the hifiman re2000? I saw that on sale for $350 so it seems like a good deal. I realize they’re several years old now though, does current stuff in the $500 range totally destroy the flagships from ~2015-2020?

What kind of sound are you looking for? Does warranty and post product support matter to you?

Is that the stock cable, or did you get an aftermarket cable to run with it?
Love the shade of it. Tempted to ask them if I can get one of those instead of the cable that comes stock with Grand Maestro...

I think you can. Just let us know when you're making your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back