FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Jan 12, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #316 of 1,960
How is grand vs mse? Which one has more mid bass? Which do you prefer?
I've had much less time with the MSE so I am still wrapping my ears around it a bit. That said they have a lot in common with the GM which I am a little more familiar with.

They have the same 12 Driver Tribrid config (1 DD, 7 BA, 4 EST) but the biggest difference is that the GM is vented via the 'open' module installed by default. These are 3D printed, user replaceable, tuning modules like those from 64 Audio, FIR etc. It makes them feel very different in ear compared to the more traditional MSE, but it also makes comparison tricky since it's less a question of frequency response and more of tone. There's maybe a touch more midbass on the GM, but the pressure difference is very evident in bass particularly... imagine the difference between an open back and closed back headphone's bass. Even with similar amplitude level, you can feel the enclosure in the pressure.

Subjectively, I'd describe the GM as natural and expansive whereas the MSE is exciting and massive. Ben has mentioned they might roll out 'closed' extreme bass modules for the GM that I imagine might tune it into something more like a turbo charged MSE (an MSSE lol?), but as is they are complementary almost as an open/closed TOTL over ear headphone pair would be. I love them both, and I'm glad I don't have to choose one or the other :)

20230112_103821.jpg

Guys

did someone tried custom moulds? for any iem not only MM?

if v2 will show i wanna try custom moulds but is it worth it? i noticed that my right canal is little different and i got problem with MM on some tips (mostly right one have less volume/unsymetrical balance with left one, i need to turn(rotate) IEM in my ear to fix that.

@Sebastien maybe you can speak something about it? :)
For me, the Maestros like a relatively deep fit and seem sensitive to canal angle, with tip rolling I've made it work quite effectively but Custom is a really great option if you think this is an IEM you want to keep.

My GM is custom and I can definitely vouch that FATfreq do an excellent job on fit and service. We should also be seeing some impressions on a custom MSE from @aaf evo in the coming days (excited for you buddy!). That said, I'm not sure if they offer the mini as a custom tbh, you may want to check with them to confirm either way.

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #317 of 1,960
I've had much less time with the MSE so I am still wrapping my ears around it a bit. That said they have a lot in common with the GM which I am a little more familiar with.

They have the same 12 Driver Tribrid config (1 DD, 7 BA, 4 EST) but the biggest difference is that the GM is vented via the 'open' module installed by default. These are 3D printed, user replaceable, tuning modules like those from 64 Audio, FIR etc. It makes them feel very different in ear compared to the more traditional MSE, but it also makes comparison tricky since it's less a question of frequency response and more of tone. There's maybe a touch more midbass on the GM, but the pressure difference is very evident in bass particularly... imagine the difference between an open back and closed back headphone's bass. Even with similar amplitude level, you can feel the enclosure in the pressure.

Subjectively, I'd describe the GM as natural and expansive whereas the MSE is exciting and massive. Ben has mentioned they might roll out 'closed' extreme bass modules for the GM that I imagine might tune it into something more like a turbo charged MSE (an MSSE lol?), but as is they are complementary almost as an open/closed TOTL over ear headphone pair would be. I love them both, and I'm glad I don't have to choose one or the other :)

20230112_103821.jpg

For me, the Maestros like a relatively deep fit and seem sensitive to canal angle, with tip rolling I've made it work quite effectively but Custom is a really great option if you think this is an IEM you want to keep.

My GM is custom and I can definitely vouch that FATfreq do an excellent job on fit and service. We should also be seeing some impressions on a custom MSE from @aaf evo in the coming days (excited for you buddy!). That said, I'm not sure if they offer the mini as a custom tbh, you may want to check with them to confirm either way.

Tracking says Tuesday delivery but knowing DHL it’ll be Monday. They’re always early for me 😎 🤞🏽

Jan 12, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #318 of 1,960
I’ve been looking forward to you comparing the two… :wink:
OG Monarch has better bass quality that also goes deep. MM has more quantity and bass rumble like a car subwoofer. Monarch is more revealing with more details as well.

However, MM is such a fun IEM and gives enough of everything. When a song doesn't have that BASS, you'll think it doesn't have that much bass vs other IEMs until you land on that one song and your straight face turn into a smile while your mind is like WOW!!

Jan 12, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #319 of 1,960
OG Monarch has better bass quality that also goes deep. MM has more quantity and bass rumble like a car subwoofer. Monarch is more revealing with more details as well.

However, MM is such a fun IEM and gives enough of everything. When a song doesn't have that BASS, you'll think it doesn't have that much bass vs other IEMs until you land on that one song and your straight face turn into a smile while your mind is like WOW!!

I can't wait to have these in hand soon and listen to them outside of a show environment.

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #320 of 1,960

20230112_103821.jpg

As far as tips goes, I've tried spinfit w1, jvc spiral dot and final e tips among others but the moondrop spring tips are far superior to the others for maestro se.

Problem is, you can't get them in America. They have to be exported.

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #321 of 1,960
Jan 13, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #325 of 1,960
I am now torn between Maestro SE and EE Evo =|
Why not both? :)

Anything in particular you are wondering about? They have quite different character despite both being TOTL bass IEMs...

Thanks for saving me from having to wait an eternity ordering from aliex and importing.

Yes that's it.

Edit:

Actually I still have to order, they don't have xl size.

Wow, shipping $20
No idea on XL, but shipping should be free in the USA (just ordered a set). If it's not working, they are usually super responsive on their online chat during EST business hours, or respond quickly by email otherwise.

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #326 of 1,960
Why not both? :)

Anything in particular you are wondering about? They have quite different character despite both being TOTL bass IEMs...

No idea on XL, but shipping should be free in the USA (just ordered a set). If it's not working, they are usually super responsive on their online chat during EST business hours, or respond quickly by email otherwise.
Can only choose one lol.

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #327 of 1,960
2 bad only maestro SE got custom build, got reply from FF.

MM or MM 2v dont have :frowning2:

Jan 14, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #329 of 1,960
2 bad only maestro SE got custom build, got reply from FF.

MM or MM 2v dont have :frowning2:

Yeah, there isn't much margin of price to warrant the additional cost/output ratio to make customs worth it for those units.

Anyone know if you can install a mesh on the Maestro mini without affecting sound? Cause the completely open bore scares me…

Yes, if you can find a mesh similar to the one FF uses now on the Mini, it should not affect the sound at all.

Jan 15, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #330 of 1,960
Can only choose one lol.
Do you prefer sub bass or mid bass? Do you like a linear mid or more forward? How sensitive are you to treble?

The MSE is a little over half the price of the Evo (58% MSRP), heck you can get the Grand Maestro for less than the Evo. If there aren't specific aspects on the sound profiles you'd necessarily prefer, it seems like price would make the decision a little easier?

Anyone know if you can install a mesh on the Maestro mini without affecting sound? Cause the completely open bore scares me…
Another option to consider looking at are tips with meshguards like Aslasedna Max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back