FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Oct 15, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #61 of 1,983
Any Amount of Driver Flex when inserting into your Ear?
Occasionally some very slight driver flex. These dont seem to be vented much, so you can definitely get a really really tight seal and when that happens some driver flex. But its pretty rare and only as I said when you get that really really tight seal.

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #62 of 1,983
No driver flex on my pair. Only issue I have with it are the smooth ridge less nozzles and the eartips being stuck in my ears as I remove the iem. I'm still eartip rolling so once I find one I like I'll probably use some double sided tape on the nozzles to help it stay on.

I must say that the tuning on these are really fun and addictive especially for reggae, dance hall and hip hop. Bass really rivals my Legend X custom. However, in terms of bass I still think the ASG 2.0 and Sony ex800 tape mod reigns supreme. I wish they offered the MM as ciem. These would probably be part of my iem rotation for a long time.
Sony ex800st is simply one of the best single dynamics ever made imho.. Even till this day.

Does the Fatfreq have the resolution of the lx?

Oct 16, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #64 of 1,983
Like the Tia driver, or like the FiiO Fh9...

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #65 of 1,983
So it's similar like the tia driver in the 64audio series :thinking:
There's still a BA tube visible there in the nozzle, if I understand TIA correctly the armature itself would not have a tube mount. Also, pretty sure most 64audio iems do use filters... maybe someone with more direct experience with them can chime in.

Like the Tia driver, or like the FiiO Fh9...

FiiO's 's-turbo' acoustic cavity design for the FH9's is probably similar in principal to the acoustic resonant 'bass canon' the Maestro's use on the low end.

Oct 16, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #66 of 1,983
There's still a BA tube visible there in the nozzle, if I understand TIA correctly the armature itself would not have a tube mount. Also, pretty sure most 64audio iems do use filters... maybe someone with more direct experience with them can chime in.
I am not 100% sure of how different companies use the term tubeless to describe them, but I do know some specifically have open radiating BA's. Whether thats specifically what 64 uses or whether its more just about not using tubes, I am not 100% sure. 64 definitely has mesh filters though on the end of the stems with the BA right behind it, and visible through the filter. I will say the BA in the mini is farther forward in the stem, whereas the 64 driver is slightly set back. I am not sure how much of a difference that might make or if there may have been some room to incorporate a filter on the mini. It definitely is I think the biggest weakness of these, as I have definitely had some dust and small hairs and other little particles that likely have started to work their way in there.

Oct 22, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #67 of 1,983
Hi, here is some info from me chatting today with Fatfreq. Normally I never share private conversations, but this one should make Fatfreq get more business IMO

5:34 PM
Hey there, please leave your details so we can contact you even if you are no longer on the site :) -Ben

Thanks! Message us here.
Hi, what is the DD size for Maestro mini? What is the impedance 16 or 32 Ohm? Are they in stock?
Hi there, it is a 9mm DD with 32 Ohms. Yes they are in stock, we ship every Thursday!
Thanx for your answer. Can I pay with paypal?
Sorry we wont be able to accept paypal via the website. Would you be able to make payment via card?
I do not own a card. Can I pay with stablecoins (USDT, BUSD, USDC?) or a bank transfer (SWIFT)
May i know your paypal address? We would try to send a payment request
what is the USD price?
430USD
Item would be sent with free DHL shipping with tax and duties included
Thank you. is the V2 coming out? Heard rumours ... when and what will be the price?
There hasn’t been an official release date for the v2s at the moment! Price would be 490USD
Thank you for the info. Is 2x700mW @ 32Ohm enough to drive them to full potencial? I have Xduoo xd05 Balanced
Yes that sounds good enough!
Very tempted, thank you so much, I will consider buying these ... tax included is very cool+DHL ... make them cost 300 USD, really😀 I will think a bit more about it, then the payment would have to be through Paypal. Very cool support, thank you for your time. greetings from Amsterdam NL

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #68 of 1,983
No driver flex on my pair. Only issue I have with it are the smooth ridge less nozzles and the eartips being stuck in my ears as I remove the iem. I'm still eartip rolling so once I find one I like I'll probably use some double sided tape on the nozzles to help it stay on.

I must say that the tuning on these are really fun and addictive especially for reggae, dance hall and hip hop. Bass really rivals my Legend X custom. However, in terms of bass I still think the ASG 2.0 and Sony ex800 tape mod reigns supreme. I wish they offered the MM as ciem. These would probably be part of my iem rotation for a long time.
Thanx @ljnew's post: new Sony ex800st is simply one of the best single dynamics ever made imho.. Even till this day.

xxxx
xx
x

Thank you so much for these posts above, I only listen to EX800ST taped already 5 years and they are the only IEM's that my ears can not figure out ...they have always more CLEAN sub-bass than my ears can take.

I had ASG 2.5 also, but sold them as Sony's offered better isolation from street noise (hard skateboard wheels sound was annoyingly coming through the open vents with ASG's).

Also, Sony's offered much better air pushing subbass with sound, while with ASG's I felt the air, but not so much low frequency sound.

@rodel808 and @ljnew please can you give more info on the differences vs. Sony's, especially the low end. I have Xduoo XD05 Balanced Dac/Amp with the Sony's with 2x 750mW power, which feeds the Sony's perfectly fine.

I would not mind new IEMs, but would I really feel like the Maestro Mini's are a step-up compared to the Sony's?

Thanx in advance, greetings from Amsterdam NL.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #69 of 1,983
Thanx @ljnew's post: new Sony ex800st is simply one of the best single dynamics ever made imho.. Even till this day.

xxxx
xx
x

Thank you so much for these posts above, I only listen to EX800ST taped already 5 years and they are the only IEM's that my ears can not figure out ...they have always more CLEAN sub-bass than my ears can take.

I had ASG 2.0 also, but sold them as Sony's offered better isolation from street noise (hard skateboard wheels sound was annoyingly coming through the open vents with ASG's).

Also, Sony's offered much better air pushing subbass with sound, while with ASG's I felt the air, but not so much low frequency sound.

@rodel808 and @ljnew please can you give more info on the differences vs. Sony's, especially the low end. I have Xduoo XD05 Balanced Dac/Amp with the Sony's with 2x 750mW power, which feeds the Sony's perfectly fine.

I would not mind new IEMs, but would I really feel like the Maestro Mini's are a step-up compared to the Sony's?

Xduoo 05, you haven't even heard the true potential of the Sony yet. Imho

Try the Sony ex800st with ifi micro signature or the new G5 or the new topping l30 2 e30 2 stack or another desktop amp. They get even better.

I haven't tried sony with viper4android or eq so likely i never heard the full potential.

I'm assuming you also tried the sony with the filter removed mod right?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #70 of 1,983

xxxx
xx
x

I had ASG 2.0 also, but sold them as Sony's offered better isolation from street noise (hard skateboard wheels sound was annoyingly coming through the open vents with ASG's).

IMHO you really you really can't ask if the maestro mini is better than ex800 because likely the answer is always yes when comparing old products to new products. Supposedly the new product is better. New toy syndrome.

Maestro mini is awesome, but statistically speaking, it's not likely people will be raving over it 12 years later like the ex800.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #71 of 1,983
I'm assuming you also tried the sony with the filter removed mod right?
Thank you for your feedback, awesome information.

I still have the filters inside the nozzles, I have asked around forums how the Sony's sound after filters removed already, but people saying removing them does not affect bass in any positive way, and highs MIGHT get ear-pearcingly sibilant, and stage and separation is enhanced.
So I left the filters alone. What is your experience with them removed?

WIth Xduoo XD05 Balanced (output 1000mW on paper, 2x450mW measured real at max. gain) on low gain, I get to maximum 7-8 volume out of 10 and my ears can not deal with the air pressure. You are correct, I have not tried real 'desktop' dac/amp yet or anything above 1000mW yet.

I was thinking on trying the Topping G5 (2x1200mW) however having the possibility to change opamps in Xduoo is a huge plus, as the stock opamps are, compared to Bursons (musical) or AD708SQ (more basshead) pretty tasteless.

But, the bug is there already in my head specially considering that Amazon has the G5 LOL, and G5 is cheaper than the Xduoo.

What really amazes me is the size of the Mini's 9mm drivers vs Sony's 16 mm.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #72 of 1,983
Inbound!

Custom_Grand.JPG

Should have them in ear in time for the weekend. First pair of customs for me, very excited!

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #74 of 1,983
Really curious about Maestro's vs Intime Sora Light Unique Bass. They are supposed to be quite similar in spirit, huge sub bass and no mid-range bleed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back