Fashion Tips + Update + BREAKING NEWS = Solved
Jun 16, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #16 of 43
Nothing wrong with Grado design.. I would even regard grado design as being a distinctively excellent piece of industrial design!

The issue is that circumaural and some supraaural headphones are too high profile and IEM/bud/clip-on is a much better choice for wearing in public because they are more acceptable visually -- in my opinion.. Some people feel uneasy when they find people staring at them for wearing big headphones, some don't..

..plus some other issues regarding hairstyles being destroyed and the like..
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #17 of 43
McLovin would wear his grados in public, with pride

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #18 of 43
Don't get me wrong iems are good too just that i prefer the sound of open cans and really dont care who sees!!
Hell i don't even care if anyone else wants to listen lol
What in everyones opinions are the ugliest cans they've seen??

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't get me wrong iems are good too just that i prefer the sound of open cans and really dont care who sees!!
Hell i don't even care if anyone else wants to listen lol
What in everyones opinions are the ugliest cans they've seen??

Gotta be the K1000.. Sorry to K1K lovers but I think they look awful.. makes you look like ..........! I can't even think of what you'd look like.. Then again, you're not meant to be seen with it.. it's like the very fine things in life that you only keep to yourself..
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #20 of 43
are k1000 not those crazy cans you have to hook up like a speaker straight to your house amp??
Don't know about looking daft in Grados i aint carrying a stereo anywhere lol!!

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #22 of 43
Madness
but they sound great apparently!

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wear my 325i grados in public
huge gold cans which scream mug me and make me look like a complete goon!!
at times like this I just think......
Let them worry about us!! lol
I'm listening to what i want on cans i like and think people look more ridiculous wearing ipod buds anyway lol

You sir are more man than I, and more deserving of the "wears full-sized cans in public" award. I'd never think of bringing my beloved goldies outside.

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #24 of 43
I do not enjoy paintings or photographs on the basis of what they smell like.

I do not read books on the basis of what they sound like.

I do not watch movies on the basis of what they taste like.

I DO NOT BUY AUDIO EQUIPMENT ON THE BASIS OF WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

As for the fashion police? Why would you worry about a bunch of cud-chewing herd animals? These are people who replace their entire wardrobes once a year; GOD FORBID they should stop looking exactly like every other mouth-breathing, soma chomping fool.

Fashion design is the art of duping morons into buying nonsense. Nice work if you can get it.

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #25 of 43
MMHMM, alright, alright, so I was perhaps overly worried about how I looked in the eyes of others. for that I realize I was wrong. but does anyone have anything to say in response to my UPDATE?

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuwy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MMHMM, alright, alright, so I was perhaps overly worried about how I looked in the eyes of others. for that I realize I was wrong. but does anyone have anything to say in response to my UPDATE?

Sorry, got a little indignant there. Grado is a quality manufacturer; if the phones broke that quickly, they should still be under warranty. They should be either fixed or replaced without a problem. As a big fan of the Grado sound, I would advise you to give them a chance once they are fixed/replaced, especially since you seemed on the basis of your OP to be really enjoying them. Obviously this depends on whether the warranty is still in force.

P.S. I should point out that I have nothing against style; It's fashion I despise. When I was in my mid-20s I was involved with a breathtaking woman who did virtually all of her clothes shopping in thrift shops (she was a bohemian, through and through. The pursuit of money or status didn't register in her consciousness). She would buy a vintage dress for like $10, alter it herself with her sewing machine, and come out looking incredible. I never saw her wearing a label in the entire time I knew her.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, got a little indignant there. Grado is a quality manufacturer; if the phones broke that quickly, they should still be under warranty. They should be either fixed or replaced without a problem. As a big fan of the Grado sound, I would advise you to give them a chance once they are fixed/replaced, especially since you seemed on the basis of your OP to be really enjoying them.

P.S. I should point out that I have nothing against style; It's fashion I despise. When I was in my mid-20s I was involved with a breathtaking woman who did virtually all of her clothes shopping in thrift shops (she was a bohemian, through and through. The pursuit of money or status didn't register in her consciousness). She would buy a vintage dress for like $10, alter it herself with her sewing machine, and come out looking incredible. I never saw her wearing a label in the entire time I knew her.

Wow. that's inspiring.

Anyways, it is still in warranty, but I have around 60 bucks in my pocket, and I was wondering if I could get anything significantly better with that plus the money I get from returning the grados.

However, chances are that I'll keep my money for other purposes just because I don't think my ears have grown accustomed enough to my grados to be able to tell the difference between anything better.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuwy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, chances are that I'll keep my money for other purposes just because I don't think my ears have grown accustomed enough to my grados to be able to tell the difference between anything better.

That's what I would do. "The Grado sound" reflects a very specific approach to headphone design and tuning. This approach has its adherents (including me) and its detractors. But if you become familiar with the Grado sound, you will have an intuitive basis for comparison with the sound of other makers. So if you later try, say, Beyers or Senns, you will be sensitive to the differences in approach, and you will be able to form an opinion based on experience.

In the meantime, enjoy! That's the point, isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back