Fantasy Baseball 2010
Feb 12, 2010 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
It's free!

With spring training just a few weeks away, signups for the third season of Head-Fi Fantasy Baseball (Yahoo Fantasy) is underway. Head-to-Head scoring!
biggrin.gif

Click here to join!
Pass: hf

Last season we only had 6 teams due to short notice, which made it less competitive and less fun in my opinion. This season hopefully we can get at least 14 teams.
smily_headphones1.gif
It was still a lot of fun but we'd love to build up the league this time.

Draft date/time is currently TBD, depending on what you all think would be best.

Here's the stat categories currently. I'm open to suggestions on taking some out or adding new ones, just let me know and we'll see:

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

Batters Stat Categories: At Bats (AB), Runs (R), Hits (H), Doubles (2B), Triples (3B), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Walks (BB), Strikeouts (K), Errors (E), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP), Slugging Percentage (SLG)

Pitchers Stat Categories: Games Started (GS), Innings Pitched (IP), Wins (W), Losses (L), Saves (SV), Walks (BB), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), On-base Percentage Against (OBPA)

Whether you're a first-time fantasy owner or a seasoned veteran, join the league! Noob or Supremus, we welcome all!
smily_headphones1.gif

Post here for questions or more information please.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 18
Updated original post with more info. C'mon, there's got to be more fantasy baseball people here! The first season we had a lot..

Maybe it's too far from opening day?

azncookiecutter - congratulations on winning 1st place last season! Hopefully I won't come in last place this time..
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 18
Back in for another season. Despite my name, I just haven't had much luck the first two years. BTW, when are we going to get serious and move this league to ESPN. In my experience, and this is especially true in fantasy football, ESPN dominates all the leagues I've played in (albeit which is limited to Yahoo, Fox, and ESPN).

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 18
I had an ESPN league two years ago at the same time as the first Head-Fi league but I liked Yahoo much better for some reason. Maybe next year I'll switch to an ESPN league for HF. My girlfriend played a CBS league but it looked so strange and foreign to me..
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 18
Also, speaking to the categories, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if some of the hitting categories were taken away such. I know at bats are important, but at bats won't help you win a baseball game, so I'm not sure why they should help you win a fantasy game. Don't care for OBP or SLG, either. I think they are important, but I think pitching is really downplayed in our league considering we've got 15 hitting categories and only 9 pitching. Pitching is as important if not more important, IMO.

Just my two cents!
L3000.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, speaking to the categories, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if some of the hitting categories were taken away such. I know at bats are important, but at bats won't help you win a baseball game, so I'm not sure why they should help you win a fantasy game. Don't care for OBP or SLG, either. I think they are important, but I think pitching is really downplayed in our league considering we've got 15 hitting categories and only 9 pitching. Pitching is as important if not more important, IMO.

Just my two cents!
L3000.gif

I'll probably take away at bats. My original intention with adding that category was to encourage people to have regular starters play instead of using players with few at bats to boost average and such, but I forgot that the team average is not a straight average of the player averages, but an average of total at bats and hits.
smily_headphones1.gif

OBP and SLG are staying for sure. OBP is a good measure of a player's ability to get on base, whether it's by HBP, walks, hits, etc. SLG is a very important power category that will stay as well.

I'll add some categories to pitching and take away a few from hitting. What do you think should be added to pitching?

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll probably take away at bats. My original intention with adding that category was to encourage people to have regular starters play instead of using players with few at bats to boost average and such, but I forgot that the team average is not a straight average of the player averages, but an average of total at bats and hits.
smily_headphones1.gif

OBP and SLG are staying for sure. OBP is a good measure of a player's ability to get on base, whether it's by HBP, walks, hits, etc. SLG is a very important power category that will stay as well.

I'll add some categories to pitching and take away a few from hitting. What do you think should be added to pitching?

That's an excellent question, to which I have no straightforward answer. I feel the two should be close to equal in terms of number of categories, but there simply aren't as many good pitching categories as hitting. Maybe just remove BB and E's for hitters. I know they aren't important categories, just trying to find the ones that would have least impact.

As far as adding pitcher categories, I would certainly add K's per 9, and maybe batters faced? I know it's meaningless, but it would be an interesting stat to watch from week to week.

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 18
K/9 is a good one but batters faced is not really batters faced in my opinion. If the object is to have most batters faced then you'd win that category with a pitcher that pitched 6 full innings and faced 5 batters per inning as opposed to a pitcher with a perfect game (27 up 27 down)..

I'll take out errors for hitters, but I like BB to stay.

Good suggestions, keep em coming!
smily_headphones1.gif

We need more members!!

edit: I also added "Outs" for pitchers. I think that's a good category, don't you?

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's saying I can't join cause I'm not a member of the league.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I hope you can join us still.

Just click on this link: http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/kms
The password is: hf

You might need to be logged into a Yahoo! account beforehand. Let me know how this works out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back