Fanboyism
Jun 28, 2005 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Edvard_Grieg

100+ Head-Fier
While this isn't directly related to DAPs (so mods feel free to move if you need to), I couldn't stop laughing at this because the 'tactics' are universal; hopefully, everyone can identify on some level with this article
tongue.gif

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6128136/p-18.html

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 14
Hah! Don't we all love those fanboys...

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 14
I've seen it on almost every kind of electronics discussion that I know of.

Round 1: Grado cheerleaders vs. Sennheiser cheerleaders
Round 2: NVIDIA fanboys vs. ATi fanboys
Round 3: SACD cheerleaders vs. DVD-A/DualDisc cheerleaders
and now, for Round 4, I see iPod fanboys vs. iRiver fanboys vs. Creative fanboys vs. Rio fanboys in a free-for-all
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver

and now, for Round 4, I see iPod fanboys vs. iRiver fanboys vs. Creative fanboys vs. Rio fanboys in a free-for-all
evil_smiley.gif

Round 4 would easily be won by the Rio fanboys. All that punching and tossing the Karma around just to get it to work keeps them in top physical condition, plus the emotional build-up of rage everytime it locks on them. No competition.

I could never exactly grasp the psychological component of fanboyism. These people would go to the grave insisting that what they own is THE very best, no exceptions, thus depriving themselves of some great products (and many better than their own) along the way. Such foolishness and so little time...
redface.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Round 4 would easily be won by the Rio fanboys. All that punching and tossing the Karma around just to get it to work keeps them in top physical condition, plus the emotional build-up of rage everytime it locks on them. No competition.

Bahahahahahahah!

/me loves his Karma, no hitting required

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver

evil_smiley.gif

Not to mention AMD vs. Intel
smily_headphones1.gif

p.s. iriver and sony players sound better than ipod because i own both of them and you don't, and stuff.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 14
I love this quote - "The rest of us will have to go on using our brains to make decisions when it comes to videogames. We will have to actually think about whether or not it's worth it to buy a console based on our needs."

Oh, yeah! Video game decisions are an excellent test of brain power! Game consoles and needs: not exactly food, clothing, and shelter...

I play games. I've owned SNES, Dreamcast, GameCube, GBA, and have a 6800 Ultra in my PC to play HL2, Battlefield 2, and whatever else. That said, it's the opposite of brain power. I guess it uses brain CPU cycles, but I do it in order to NOT think (which is my job 99% of the time). Using brain power to determine which way to not use brain power seems like a waste. Wait - that's what I do. Nevermind...

Jun 28, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 14
You should see at least half a century old Canon vs Nikon (or Hasselblad vs Mamiya or Leica vs all the rest) wars continuing now in full falmes on photo equipment boards. Influx of noobs thanks to sub $1K DSLRs makes this almost nuclear.

As usual those with least talent, knowledge and uncapable of seeing things (or hearing them in audiophile world) are the most vocal and crazed ones. More formally technical of them tend to measure everything, hence terms - Measurbators or Pixelpeepers. They constantly collect, exchange and test equipment instead of using it (taking photos or listening) wasting gobs of money in a process.

All this photo craze corresponds almost one to one to the audiophile world. Just look at the Headphone forum here on Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #10 of 14
just read the thing....the guy does make a good point...

but people need to defend their purchase and/or opinion because people don't like a)being wrong b)wasting(ed) cash or c) both

I think its mostly b). Now if everyone was rich, there'd be no need for fanboy rants as everyone would have everything! excuse me if what I just said was rubbish
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 14
As I type here, the H320 is standing forlornly in it's cradle... and has been for quite a while. The Karma is boxed up pending an uncertain fate, the HD5 is hiding under some paperwork. The H140 (with Rockbox) and the Gigabeat are 'resting' in a drawer in the office. The JB3 skulks in my bedroom, it's purpose now almost solely playing back internet radio recordings despite it's 100Gb disc. The X5 has yet to turn up. And I've just docked the iPod after using it all day, as I do on most days.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm a closet fanboy, but I realise I don't have that luxury
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 14
I'm not so sure that this doesn't apply specifically to DAP's. Of all the forums on this site, I put out more flame wars here than in all the others combined!!

Something about portable sources seems to lend itself to this for some reason...dunno.
confused.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I'm not so sure that this doesn't apply specifically to DAP's. Of all the forums on this site, I put out more flame wars here than in all the others combined!!

Something about portable sources seems to lend itself to this for some reason...dunno.
confused.gif

It's called "portable pride"(probably not, but let's run with the name for a sec)
wink.gif
Even I'm guilty of have some in some way, although if you look at my sig, my pride is very strange, but I have my reasons.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back