Fake Miles Davis Tribute?
May 19, 2011 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

i2ehan

Aka: Nightcrawler, Oof Oink
Was flipping items from the classifieds on eBay.
I received my MDT's today in the mail, and the box itself was still shrink wrapped, but the colors on the box seemed very dull, much like they had been printed on regular texture printing paper. I haven't broken the seal yet, but I came across this unboxing on youtube, and it seems that the real MDT's come inside of a velvet box. I can see mine from the top and bottom of the box through the seal, and it's clearly a black plastic box (same as pictured below). I've encountered ones for sale here on the forums with the very same black box, and NOT the velvet brown box. I don't want to break the seal just yet and examine the contents (in case I need to send it back), but is it safe to assume that I received counterfeits? See below for the black box which I'm referring to, versus the aythentic brown velvet one from the video.

Oh, and neatly printed on the back bottomr right corner it reads, "Made in China". Isn't that a dead giveaway, or no?

May 19, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 15
Hmmm.  I'd say just listen to them and see.  If they don't sound anything like what other people say about them then I'd say they're fake...but Monster changes their designs all the time without telling anyone.

May 19, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 15
I went ahead and broke the seal. Yep, they're fake alright. I'll take this one with the seller personally.
angry_face.gif

May 19, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 15
If I told you, I'd have to wear a kick me sign for the rest of the week... I'm sure you can make an educated guess.
wink.gif
 I'll save myself the embarassment here.

May 19, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 15
To ALL here who have bought MDT's here at head-fi, refer to the video posted above and check your contents, specifically the tips included (none of the above pictured wide array of tips are included with the counterfeits, as was the case with the ones I purchased unfortunately) and also the case which snaps shut. The counterfeit include the same case which snaps shut, as well as an extra Miles Davis ribbon on the bottom right corner, which shouldn't be there! Not to mention, the gold on the earphones themselves feels plastic, while the silver is metal.

May 19, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 15
The early batch of the genuine MDs did use a black box, it's the newer ones that use the velvet brown ones. A simple giveaway are the filters, they're a lot different....

May 19, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 15
Thank you for the clarification my friend, wish I would have known earlier on what I know now. I'm certainly not going to simply let it slide, and make sure this seller is held accountable, I waited nearly a week for them. Lucky for him/her, my W4's are reminding me to stay calm.
smile.gif

May 19, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 15
Trust me, been at it for over 10 years now, I know their policies like the back of my Westones! I'm not at all worried about that. I just hate encountering sellers like this who, for one reason or another, think they'll continue to get away with cheating people of their earnings.

May 19, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #12 of 15
At least the sellers on Taobao actually state upfront if their products are fake.  Though they tend to use the term "unlicensed," but I guess it essentially means the same thing.

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #13 of 15

Not quite true. I had an incident like this. Paid $150 for the IEMs, some 20-25 in shipping, and then about 50 in taxes when they arrived in Norway. I got only the original $150 back AND I had to pay for shipping back to the US (with tracking). Shipping back was about $70, mostly because eBay demanded the tracking. No matter how clear I stated my matter for the eBay/paypal employe would they give me a cent more.
Quote:

well if you bought them off ebay, dont bend backwards for guy. you can file a claim on ebay and get 100% of your money back, including return shipping

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Not quite true. I had an incident like this. Paid $150 for the IEMs, some 20-25 in shipping, and then about 50 in taxes when they arrived in Norway. I got only the original $150 back AND I had to pay for shipping back to the US (with tracking). Shipping back was about $70, mostly because eBay demanded the tracking. No matter how clear I stated my matter for the eBay/paypal employe would they give me a cent more.

ahh, well I havent dealt with international shipping and complaints; but domestic has never been an issue for me. sorry about your loss there :frowning2:

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #15 of 15
I was under the impression that ebay's policy on fakes means you get your money back and you don't have to return a thing.  I mean I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time today.

In any case, such has been my experience.
me:  This item is a fake.
seller:  I'll refund some of your money.
me: It's fake.  I want my money back.
seller: I'll refund more of your money.  Just ship the stuff back.
me:  i t ' s   f a k e .
seller: I refunded all of your money.  You can keep the item.  Have a nice day!  Don't forget to leave good feedback, and visit our store again soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back