Fake Elna Silmic?
Feb 24, 2009 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

S3am

Head-Fier
Hello. I just found some strange Elnas on Ebay.
179179666_tp.jpg

As i Know silmic II should have brown+gold\Brown+White or Black+ gold colors. But here are some purple Silmics O_o.

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by S3am /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello. I just found some strange Elnas on Ebay.
179179666_tp.jpg

As i Know silmic II should have brown+gold\Brown+White or Black+ gold colors. But here are some purple Silmics O_o.

I've been wrong before, but those look very much like counterfeits. Believe it or not, counterfeit capacitors are becoming much more common on eBay.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 8
Certainly wouldn't use anything unproven. It would be an unknown that would keep you wondering if the sound could be improved.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 8
Load that photo into your favorite photo editor, then apply a fairly strong automatic color-balance correction. Voila, brown-and-white capacitor on a dull blue background.

In other words, I don't know that the caps are real or not, but am much more inclined to suspect a really crappy photo. After all, is it not said, never blame on malice what you can attribute to idiocy and incompetence?
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 8
I do not suspect a crappy photo at all. I can't see how a camera's white balance can be that off even if its set manually. Blue or yellow tint sure, but not magenta. I set the white and black points in photoshop and it will still remain the same. Use auto color and its the same. I don't know what software you used, but that is some extreme change for auto color-balance.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 8
I am not sure which eBay dealer post those pics. But I have been buying verified genuine ELNA caps from a dealer in Thailand and he does carry the purple SILMIC II. I decided to check on Elna Japan catalogue and the sheets does not indicate any sleeve color specific to SILMIC, SILMIC II or Cerrafine. So for all theat we know Elna does produce SILMIC range with different sleeve color.

Assumptions is the mother of all bad things....

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure which eBay dealer post those pics. But I have been buying verified genuine ELNA caps from a dealer in Thailand and he does carry the purple SILMIC II. I decided to check on Elna Japan catalogue and the sheets does not indicate any sleeve color specific to SILMIC, SILMIC II or Cerrafine. So for all theat we know Elna does produce SILMIC range with different sleeve color.

Assumptions is the mother of all bad things....

Thanks for clearing that up. I've only used and seen the brown.

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 8
handmade electronics carrys the elna caps, and are lower priced than digikey. vry reputable dealer. Handmade Electronics Indexpage

check 'em out. i do not work for him, or have any financial ties to him-- just a happy customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back