Faith Hill gets owned at the CMA's
Nov 8, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #16 of 31
That's pretty funny.
I remember Bill Murray got caught doing the same thing at the Oscars when he was nominated for best actor for "Lost in Translation." He gave a "What the ****?" look when the award went to Sean Penn.

Nov 8, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
That's pretty funny.
I remember Bill Murray got caught doing the same thing at the Oscars when he was nominated for best actor for "Lost in Translation." He gave a "What the ****?" look when the award went to Sean Penn.

Yes, but at least with him it fits his personality (and he should have freaking won). Should have won for that or Rushmore, or Life Aquatic.

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #19 of 31
It's probably one of those phony award shows like the MTV awards where the winners know in advance that they've won, and that's why they show up. She was probably told she'd be the winner, then the producers or whomever decided at the last minute to give it to someone else. I suspect that's what happened.

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
It's probably one of those phony award shows like the MTV awards where the winners know in advance that they've won, and that's why they show up. She was probably told she'd be the winner, then the producers or whomever decided at the last minute to give it to someone else. I suspect that's what happened.

Makes sense and makes it even funnier.

Nov 8, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
That's pretty funny.

Bill Murray is one of the most underrated actors in the business. Sean Penn is good, but he's also overrated.

oh and since this thread is about Faith Hill, i'll take the opportunity to try out the new winky:
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking
Lol, and it truly was a lol. I watched it about 5 times, and each time it got funnier.

hey man... i love your sig... but that quote has been attributed to everyone from Zappa to Elvis Costello. in fact, Immanuel Kant is quoted to have said that "talking about love is like dancing about architecture." it's actually the first time i've seen it attributed to Thelonious Monk.

Nov 10, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #25 of 31
My only comment is that Country seems to be sliding backward big time. First Big & Rich with the extremely tacky and utterly stupid "Save A Horse; Ride A Cowboy", then Gretchen Wilson telling us basically that "White Trash" is hip. Finally we have Carrie telling us that if your spouse cheats you're fully vindicated in trashing his truck.
If I want to hear that kind of crap I can turn on Jerry Springer. And I'm just thrilled that this is the message being sent out to the millions of teenage girls buying her albums.
Thank god for George Strait, Alan Jackson and the others who can elevate the genre. Martina proved you can sing about some very controversial issues without being a trailer park diva.

Nov 10, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
My only comment is that Country seems to be sliding backward big time. First Big & Rich with the extremely tacky and utterly stupid "Save A Horse; Ride A Cowboy", then Gretchen Wilson telling us basically that "White Trash" is hip. Finally we have Carrie telling us that if your spouse cheats you're fully vindicated in trashing his truck.
If I want to hear that kind of crap I can turn on Jerry Springer. And I'm just thrilled that this is the message being sent out to the millions of teenage girls buying her albums.
Thank god for George Strait, Alan Jackson and the others who can elevate the genre. Martina proved you can sing about some very controversial issues without being a trailer park diva.

i've never been a fan of contemporary country, but country music traditionally has never shied away from the seedy underbelly of the working class. just listen to the lyrics of a song like Lefty Frisell's "Long Black Veil" or Del McCoury's "Cold Cheater's Heart."

once country music is elevated as a genre, it's no longer country music.

Nov 10, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825
Hmmm, she didn't take that so well. Pretty embarassing getting caught on TV with that reaction. Joking or not, a lot of fans lost respect for her.

I'm so sure that this happens all the freaking time. We just get shielded from it by the industry. Cause its bad for business. Things like that just slip through their highly manipulated broadcasts.

But its awesome when it does!

Nov 11, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #29 of 31
Faith Hill may seem like a very down to earth person, but her reaction to the award going to somebody else shows the corruption of the fame and glory that goes to one's head. However she's demonstrated the importance of being more humble as a successful person than being a braggart. I think you lose a lot of respect and credibility as an artist if you try too hard to constantly win the admiration from your audience. Murray probably deserved that award as much Penn, but it's not really within his control. As long as he continues to participate in good projects, that in itself is more rewarding than a statue that just becomes overrated over time.

Nov 11, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #30 of 31
It's hard to tell on the web, but if you watch her real close it appears that she says something to the effect "I hope I f*kin win it" right before they announce the winner. Watch real close and you tell me it was a joke...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back