Fairly huge comparison: Senn HD457/497, HD555/595, BeyerDTX700/800/900, DT440/660/860
Jul 12, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #31 of 42
Thanks for the interesting review!
BTW, I also have an experience that Beyer can work favourably with tubes, DT931 combined well with the warm stock tubes of EarMax Pro, and seemed to tame the brightness.

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #33 of 42
wow, these are back... This used to be in the dedicated headphone review column as a sticky
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, these are back... This used to be in the dedicated headphone review column as a sticky
biggrin.gif

yup, i'm agree. for me, it's a good review and hint that i'm not hesitate to put HD 595 in my basket.

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #35 of 42
Well thank you very much for the review pretty much sealed it on what headphone I am going to purchase. It would have been nice if the write up did include the self-titled RATM cd as you listed but this is great nonetheless.

Did you by any chance ever try the DT860 with the DT880 veluor pad to see how it sounds and feels on the ear?

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #36 of 42
Well, there's an oldie for you. :)

A fun test to do.
Working on another test now, actually.
3 phones few has heard, I suspect. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you by any chance ever try the DT860 with the DT880 veluor pad to see how it sounds and feels on the ear?

No, didn't swap them, so I don't know if there are any differences.
Probably not, as both phones got pads meant for open phones.
You really get a difference if you use pads meant for closed phones on an open phone. Most likely not an upgrade, though.

When it comes to feel, the velours are much nicer than the slightly coarse jersey pads on the DT860. No contest.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno if you remember the results but is it possible to give a comparison between the DT400 and the DTX900 please seeing as both cost about the same.

Well, I think I actually preferred the DTX900 over the DT440, if sound was the only criteria. Unfortunately, the DTX-series is cheaply built, and the pads are small (they rest on your ears).

The DTX900 is great fun, with plenty of bass and details. Definitely a foot-tapper.

The DT440 is more balanced and "correct", but there was something odd somewhere in the midrange that I didn't like. Hard to explain.

Don't know which I would recommend. Depends on musical taste and setup.

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #40 of 42
hello jensl

im a noob on phones but love good sounding music...and i am saving up money to buy some good ones...i was looking at the dt660 and was wondering if i would need an external amp for it for my portables...

thank you

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #41 of 42
i have the dt660 - awesome can! does not need an amp tho an amp helps the bottom end.

May 5, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #42 of 42
As ourfpshero says, an amp isn't really needed, but it helps.

If the choice was to buy a cheaper headphone + an amp, or the DT660 with no amp, I'd go for the DT660 every time.

You'll need a decent amp to notice a significant difference, especially if your portables got good internal amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back