Face Off: Auzentech X-Meridian Vs. X-Fi Prelude Vs. Onkyo SE200
Mar 31, 2008 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Pixel Eater

New Head-Fier
I had once read that the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude did not enjoy as high quality an output as the X-Meridian did.

Speaking strictly in terms of analog stereo with both cards having the same opamp, has anyone been able to detect a loss of quality either by ear or with synthetic testing? My emphasis is on lossless music, followed by dvd audio (s/pdif), then games, but when people suggest the meridian for that sort of thing, they never give a reason, so I'm left wondering.
confused.gif

I don't really understand how the build of a quality soundcard affects s/pdif output. Would I expect any difference between the two cards for s/pdif, or does that output rely on my home theater receiver?

I'm trying to determine whether I need to track down a used X-Meridian or if the Prelude can offer every bit as much fidelity.

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel Eater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really understand how the build of a quality soundcard affects s/pdif output. Would I expect any difference between the two cards for s/pdif, or does that output rely on my home theater receiver?

No difference in spdif outs.

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 12
But could you elaborate? Like, surely a $10 soundcard's s/pdif output wouldn't compare to an Auzentech, right?

Where's the difference come in, and other than by ear, how can it be observed?

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 12
Any difference due ont he s/pdif output is due to the chipset and drivers. ie. the meridian supports up to 24/192khz resolution, and the x-fi supports EAX, DDL, and Hardware acceleration

I'm also curious about quality of the analog outputs though(just the front channel)

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 12
I know that the X-Meridian has opamps for each output channel, afaik the Prelude is switchable only for the front speakers. The Prelude should pwn the Meridian in games but vice versa for audio apps in general.

I'm wondering if there's a substantial difference in the spdif capability of these cards versus regular x-fi's or even integrated mobo spdif, I know that my mobo has problems with getting bit-perfect to work with spdif which makes it slightly difficult. My speaker setup is rather modest so the analog output quality is of less value to me than the digital out.

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 12
The general consensus is that the Prelude excels at games and the X-Meridian, at music, but I have yet to hear that from someone who owns both. I realize the X-Meridian's (I own one) opamps for all channels make it seem a little more serious, but there's got to be more, whether it's an argument in favor of the c-media chip or some synthetic benchmarks.

Some numbers or some information about capacitors or really anything that proves these perceptions aren't just based on the cards' images would be a breakthrough. I don't know how to run these tests or identify finer electronic differences or I'd do it myself. Point me in the direction of how to test these and I'd get the card just for a face-off. I just think it would be fun to get down to what makes a soundcard better or worse.

I could use at least 3 more sound cards and would hate to find out the Prelude is lacking in the sonic department.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel Eater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The general consensus is that the Prelude excels at games and the X-Meridian, at music, but I have yet to hear that from someone who owns both. I realize the X-Meridian's (I own one) opamps for all channels make it seem a little more serious, but there's got to be more, whether it's an argument in favor of the c-media chip or some synthetic benchmarks.

Some numbers or some information about capacitors or really anything that proves these perceptions aren't just based on the cards' images would be a breakthrough. I don't know how to run these tests or identify finer electronic differences or I'd do it myself. Point me in the direction of how to test these and I'd get the card just for a face-off. I just think it would be fun to get down to what makes a soundcard better or worse.

I could use at least 3 more sound cards and would hate to find out the Prelude is lacking in the sonic department.
smily_headphones1.gif

Found this review for you: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 review In a nutshell it makes the Prelude seem like a little more went into it than just adding X-Fi to a Meridian.

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #8 of 12
So which one sounds better? =)
Prelude excels most of the synthetic audio benchmarks..
In listening tests, and I've heard this more than once - the prelude sounds a bit more laid back than the meridian.
Preference, but for better or worse?
I'm sure a opamp switch could quickly switch that around though..

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #9 of 12
the prelude excells in audio benchmarks becuase the creative DSP is great for offloading audio works off the main CPU, so it gives you a couple of more FPS, personaly, soundwise, tweaking the opamps should give you the sound you desire out of music, but even if the x-fi chip gives a slight improvement, you have to weight it against creatives piss poor drives, forget vista and linux, the drivers for both plataforms are way below whats expected of them, this card can only furfill its true potentian under windows XP and opressed under the boot of creatives bloatware driver (if you excuse the soviet metaphore),

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 12
And then there's that rumored-to-be-underrated Onkyo I'd had my eye on.
wink.gif

The only high end (if that's appropriate) cards I'm really feeling are the Auzentechs and the Onkyo. It seems like beyond those are the Lynx Two and some other studio-esque cards, and by then you might as well start playing with DAC's. (Those are totally new to me)

That Onkyo has the sexiest stock capacitors of anything I've seen. Like I said, I have 4 different applications needing sound cards, so I'm going to order the Onkyo and a Prelude. I think the Onkyo's evident lack of true Dolby Digital / DTS will probably be the only thing stopping it from being my primary card.

A question I'd like to rehash is just how much do all those beautiful caps affect the s/pdif output for the Onkyo? Does being digital reeeally mean it's all up to the lame drivers?

While I have these I would love to get more technical on testing them and share the results, so if someone wants to show me where I can learn...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back