FA Eterna VS Hippo VB
Apr 10, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #16 of 24
if you prefer mid bass then go to Eterna, but if you want to hear the sub-bass like subwoofer, go to VB.

Eterna has smooth high, VB has extended treble, which is can be too sharp for some people, but also can become crystal clear for others.

I duuno about Eterna, but I has VB, and Ayumi Hamasaki sounds great at there

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what tips you use wif your eterna?

Tips do not change the sound: I bought a Sony Hybrid, compared with the standard tips - comfort has improved but there is no difference in sound.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #20 of 24
Being my first post here, I can see I may not have as much credibility as some of the others that are around, but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents since I also listen to those genres of music, and i find that of all the IEMs I've heard, the Jays d-Jays is worth considering.

Similar price range to those you are considering, but I find it has a more balanced sound with treble which can sparkle, but not harsh and a warm clear mid-range and bass which is tight and well controlled especially for the price.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #21 of 24
I use Sony hybrid clones and the RE0 bi-flange, although now I only use the clones as the RE0 bi-flange has become too soft to use. Myself and others notice a significant change in the sound for the better with good tips. PoVarR is the first one I've read that says they didn't change the sound. Comply tips are also said to work well, the T-400 is the right size.
I do notice a definite change in the sound of the Eterna with different tips. They are sensitive to sources as well, so if you have a warm, bassy source then tips might not help if there's simply too much bass.
Personally I can't use the Eterna without good tips, the mid-bass is just way too much.
If you're buying from a seller that doesn't bundle tips (weibby and I do), I reccomend you drop the $3 on some Sony hybrid clones. The tips I bundle are the FA fit kit, and the largest bi-flange in the kit is almost identical to the RE0 bi-flange in sound, so if possible I reccomend you try to use those. weibby bundles a pair of Comply tips. To extend the life of Comply tips, for those who don't know, wash them in hydrogen peroxide when they start to lose form and get icky.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

whats the difference between mid-bass and sub-bass? don't quite get the grasp.

sub-bass: The audio frequencies between about 20Hz and 80Hz
it won't affect mid range at all, and also, imo VB has little mid-bass

But for eterna, the mid-bass is just simply bigger than VB, and perhaps it's what makes Eterna sounding a bit warmer than VB

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

whats the difference between mid-bass and sub-bass? don't quite get the grasp.

As far as I know, mid-bass is like the boom boom you hear immediately from a bassy sound. But the sub-bass is more of the low extension, kind of like the rumbling you hear with car sub-woofers. Correct me if I am wrong...

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know, mid-bass is like the boom boom you hear immediately from a bassy sound. But the sub-bass is more of the low extension, kind of like the rumbling you hear with car sub-woofers. Correct me if I am wrong...

Yep, that's about right, though most car subwoofers I've personally heard (just on the street etc) are all mid-bass. Good ones are likely better. It's amazing what utter crap some people put in their cars, and what people consider good bass.
Stuff like the rumbling in the theater and deep bass notes are sub-bass. If you have something EQable, try bumping up the 200khz range and you'll see what mid-bass is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back